Motoring Discussion > Extreme left mimser. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 21

Extreme left mimser. - Old Navy
I was recently in a queue of cars driving behind an elderly lady who was travelling at 25mph on single carriageway 60 limit road. Everyone was giving her a wide berth as her nearside wheels were in the gutter and her wheels were throwing up lots of stones and debris and other drivers were very wary of her driving. A case for a retest?
 Extreme left mimser. - Stuu
A case for stopping distances for sure :-)
 Extreme left mimser. - kensitas
She was probably trying to be as easy as possible to pass (being aware her driving speed would generate a tailback) but to her own (probable) detriment as she would surely damage her tyres/bodywork/suspension driving through all that muck. Give the old dear a break ;)

Last edited by: kensitas on Wed 21 Apr 10 at 15:58
 Extreme left mimser. - Cliff Pope
It's funny though, if you blank out the image of the old lady in a car and substitute a young farmer on a tractor, you'd commend him for batting on at a good speed and driving in the gutter so that other people could get past.
The real test would be whether either of them pulled in at the first opportunity.
>> The real test would be whether either of them pulled in at the first opportunity.
>>

No chance, it took several miles to get up the queue and past her, huge queue behind me by then. Our local farmers are pretty good at queue clearing.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 21 Apr 10 at 17:15
 Extreme left mimser. - jc2
It's number TWO that makes the queue!!!!The one jammed in right behind her with no intention of overtaking.
Unfortunately it was a sunny Sunday afternoon on a winding coastal road (A917), busy with few overtaking opportunities.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 21 Apr 10 at 19:18
 Extreme left mimser. - TheManWithNoName
I'd have hooted and flashed her to warn her of my presence and the fact I'd like to get from A to B before the ice caps melted!

Silly old bag shouldn't be on the road.
 Extreme left mimser. - Bellboy
youth is a wonderful thing
manwithnoname
i sometimes go upstairs and for the life of me cant remember why till i look through the curtains and see its dark so realise its beddy time
its called old age
make allowances
please?
 Extreme left mimser. - Armel Coussine
I have a story here.

I once went to visit the uncle and aunt of my ex-wife at the farm they had retired to in rural Wales. I hammered along the A40 and minor roads and wasn't too late. Almost there, on a rural hairpin, I came across a stalled Hillman Imp with an apparently elderly driver at the wheel, trying to start it. Muttering 'Silly old bag' I whipped past and arrived at the farm, which was deserted. Eventually a garage Mini van arrived with my hostess. She was the Imp driver of course, and suffering from Alzheimer's. Her husband, a lifelong army officer and diplomat used to being served hand and foot, had misunderstood my telegram and gone to meet me off a train I wasn't on. She had driven off more or less at random, taking the note he had left me, and run out of petrol.

Much chastened, I drove her to the garage for a can of petrol and back to the Imp, which the garage man had pushed off the road, and refuelled it. She was pretty gaga but knew the way home. In fact they were both losing it big time and she died not long after.

I felt a real carphound about that.
 Extreme left mimser. - Herr Sandwichmann
Extreme left mimser - thought that this was some sort of election broadcast when I saw the thread title.

If the subject of the thread was doing 25 mph, I don't think that's as bad as the drivers who crawl through corners on A roads only to floor it on the straights. I was stuck
behind a Kia Sportage for miles a few weeks back - the driver seemed intent on not letting me past - slowed to 25 for corners and up to 65-70 on the 'easier' bits. No way of getting past without driving at dangerous speeds. In the end I pulled off the road, bought a paper and a coffee, and resumed the journey 20 minutes later.
 Extreme left mimser. - Cliff Pope
Yes, I've had plenty of those. The absolute worst was one who stayed at a low speed once round the bend, waited until I was part-way through overtaking, and then floored it. After racing him at dangerously increasing speed I pulled back, whereupon he slowed to 30 again.

I finally got past by catching him unawares before he had time to try his trick again, but looking in the mirror I could see he was already trying it on the next car behind.

I agree a genuine senile mimser is very annoying, but not usually dangerous if treated with caution.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Thu 22 Apr 10 at 08:11
 Extreme left mimser. - IJWS14
The speed limit is a maximum, she has as much right to use the road as anyone else.

Why is everyone is so much of a hurry these days, and as a result so inconsiderate.

An example, yesterday morning, A446 heading from Bassetts Pole to Minworth Island, single carriageway but there is a hill with a crawler lane. Passed a lorry on the hill and the guy behind me was waving and gesticulating because I settled down to my indicated 60 (55) as speed limit drops to 50 about 1/4 mile later. What I don't understand was why he wanted me to rush of at high speed to join the queue of vehicles at the Belfrey a mile in fromt of us . . . Would have saves him no time at all as sure enough the queue was there as usual.
 Extreme left mimser. - scousehonda
IJWS14

Could I refer you to a thread which I started a week or so ago headed 'Motorway discipline'. Some of the comments make interesting reading.
 Extreme left mimser. - IJWS14
I did see the thread but managed not to post on it.
 Extreme left mimser. - Herr Sandwichmann
Agree with uou competely IJWS. If someone is driving slowly, yet consistently, no problem at all. It's the characters who either intentionally or ignorantly drive in such a way as to impede the progress of others who are annoying. The guy you encountered clearly has issues that he tries to resolve by taking it out on other drivers.
 Extreme left mimser. - MD
>> its called old age make allowances please?
>>
He's called manwithnobrane for a reason.
 Extreme left mimser. - L'escargot
Perhaps there was a problem with her car which was limiting her speed.
 Extreme left mimser. - biker bones
maybe she needs to pull the seat forward a bit , so her foot can push the accelerator down further :)
 Extreme left mimser. - jc2
One of my wife's aunts was stopped by police driving home on the pavement-she told police it was safer as there weren't any other cars on it-mind you,one of her sisters demolished not just one garage but a whole block of them with her automatic car.Neither drove again.
 Extreme left mimser. - diddy1234
I once had a terrible car with no end of problems.

I had a reconditioned engine fitted and during the run in process I had a hand written message on the back window :-

'running in'
'please pass'

Despite having this sign I was still treated like dirt.
Lots of disgusted looks like 'what are you doing on this road' and the like.
what more could I have done to let other road users be aware ?

Some drivers really are on another planet once they get behind the wheel.

Its a me me culture out there !
It looks like we are all the only "normal" driver. :-)
Latest Forum Posts