Motoring Discussion > The first 12s of Spring. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 37

The first 12s of Spring. - R.P.
Coming home from work yesterday afternoon came up behind a very pretty red Astra GTC on a 12 plate, a FB friend has just taken delivery of a white one and my FiL has just ordered a new BMW 328 - so people are still clearly buying..!
 The first 12s of Spring. - DP
Just seen my first one. My colleague's F30 320d which has just been delivered. Company leased, obviously, not bought. Mine should be here in a couple of weeks, I'm told.
Have yet to see any 12s out and about on the roads.
Friends in car sales report business to be generally pretty flat at the moment.
 The first 12s of Spring. - Runfer D'Hills
Black Passat CC somewhere on the M1 today. Can't remember where. All a blur this week. Nearly 2000 miles in 5 days...

Must get a proper job.
 The first 12s of Spring. - rtj70
>> Black Passat CC somewhere on the M1 today.

So old stock Passat CC then. Maybe it was midnight blue like mine. After about 4 months of having mine one step-son said the other day: "the car looks blue".... well it is blue! Very dark blue.

I might wander to the VW dealer to see what the compound looks like. It was full for the 61 plate change.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 2 Mar 12 at 20:07
 The first 12s of Spring. - WillDeBeest
...well it is blue! Very dark blue.

Is it like the socks, then, RTJ - only priests are allowed the truly black ones?
No my car is a very dark blue and almost black. I could have got a black one but wanted the blue one. The paint was a bit more for this than the black one.
 The first 12s of Spring. - Zero

>> week. Nearly 2000 miles in 5 days...

pah

Pat does more than that just regenerating the DPF.
Granted, but unfortunately those miles were done either side of more than full non-driving working days. Cream crackered.
 The first 12s of Spring. - Old Navy
This morning I was behind a 12 reg Yaris being driven very cautiously by a middle aged lady. I was in the local KIA/Nissan dealer today and two cars were being handed over and a couple were parked awaiting the same fate.
>> Granted, but unfortunately those miles were done either side of more than full non-driving working
>> days. Cream crackered.

you need to move south old mate.
>>Granted, but unfortunately those miles were done either side of more than full non-driving working days. Cream crackered.>>
>>

Missfuel material?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 2 Mar 12 at 20:54
Nooooooo He is immune, will of iron - I mean look how easy it was to give up smoking.
 The first 12s of Spring. - Dave_
I delivered a 12 plate MINI Countryman this morning. Got an A4 TDi (quattro, can't be many of those) to collect and deliver on Monday. Seen a dozen or more 12s on my travels over the last two days, the very first was a black Fiat Scudo taxi (although not yet taxi-plated) at 7.40 yesterday morning driving down the A1 near Peterborough.

Whatever happened to the Sun's picture gallery of wrecked new-reg cars? They always used to run one the day after a new plate came out.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Fri 2 Mar 12 at 21:02
>> Whatever happened to the Sun's picture gallery of wrecked new-reg cars? They always used to
>> run one the day after a new plate came out.
>>

That reminds me of a press report when I lived in Australia in the 1960s. Someone took delivery of a Rover, (2000?), on leaving the dealer they pressed the cigarette lighter at nearby traffic lights and exploded the fuel tank. The car was replaced.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 2 Mar 12 at 21:12
 The first 12s of Spring. - BobbyG
Saw a few 12 plates in last couple of days but today I saw a brand new shaped Beetle broken down on the hard shoulder with RAC van in attendance.
Reg number was BE61TLE.

I bet it was wrongly fuelled!!
>> I bet it was wrongly fuelled!!

If this was the new, new Beetle then not likely. There are currently only 1.2TS and 1.4TS petrols. There is no diesel yet but they are coming. And so far only the 1.4TS has made it to the UK.
 The first 12s of Spring. - Iffy
...then not likely...

Agreed, although I once spoke to an AA misfuel man who told me people do manage to put diesel into petrol cars.

You have to hold the nozzle very carefully but tightly - but yes some do this.

The Beetle probably broke down because it is not so well made, coming from Mexico and not Germany. But the Jetta and Golf estate are made in Mexico too.
 The first 12s of Spring. - Paul Robinson
Passed a 12 reg Renault Laguna yesterday, that's got to be a rare beast!
Only 12 plate car I've seen on the road was a BMW 3 series estate - old shape of course.
Touring :-) (I know someone who used to get very upset when one referred to his Touring as an Estate - which we did all the time !)
 The first 12s of Spring. - TeeCee
It's cost-cutting.

If they called it an Estate they'd be obliged to provide a hat and a pair of driving gloves with each one sold. If they call it a Touring, the driver has to buy his own hat and gloves.
 The first 12s of Spring. - Bromptonaut
Next door seem to have acquired a 12 Merc, not sure if its and A or B. She'd had her money's worth out of the previous one (W plate) but obvious latterly that it was shipping water - windows never free of condensation. >> It's cost-cutting.
Saw my first yesterday: a black Peugeot 508, apparently in convoy with another wearing a 61.

Curious looking beast, the 508; not a two-bag munter like the 407 but still no beauty, especially from behind. I saw my first 508 estate in Wokingham on Saturday; that in pale blue actually looked quite passable, so maybe Peugeot is getting the message.
>> Only 12 plate car I've seen on the road was a BMW 3 series estate - old shape of course.

I delivered one of those in the New Forest this morning. A petrol 325i, the customer reckoned it would be more economical than the '09 Scirocco 2.0TFSi I took away.

I passed a Transit transporter and trailer carrying two identical 12-reg white Porsche Panameras - someone's doing well!
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 6 Mar 12 at 19:10
>> A petrol 325i, the customer reckoned it would be more economical than the '09 Scirocco 2.0TFSi I took away.

In the run out of the old 3 series models... was the 325i still a detuned 3.0 straight six petrol or had they downgraded it to a real 2.5 or even a 2.0 4-cylinder turbo?
>> was the 325i still a detuned 3.0 straight six petrol?

The customer told me it was bigger than 2.5 litres. A quick look at bmw.co.uk says 218hp and 39.2mpg from 2996cc.
 The first 12s of Spring. - MD
>> >> was the 325i still a detuned 3.0 straight six petrol?
>>
>> The customer told me it was bigger than 2.5 litres. A quick look at bmw.co.uk
>> says 218hp and 39.2mpg from 2996cc.
>>
On the Dream cycle??
>> 39.2mpg
>> On the Dream cycle??

upthear.se/aiv

The Scirocco's combined figure is 37.2mpg, so maybe he's right? :)

I did wonder what thinking must have been behind ordering a 325i manual estate (sorry, Touring). Most BMWs we deliver are 320d saloons for the keen drivers, and X3 2.0d xDrives for those who need the space. But then, this customer was taken aback when i pointed out he's got one of the first 12 plates - he didn't realise they'd just changed.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 6 Mar 12 at 23:15
 The first 12s of Spring. - henry k
Long time before I saw my first 12 - on the M40 this afternoon - a black Maserati GranTurismo MC

At least you did in some style - don't care what Clarkson says I'd have one !
Me too, but I'd always feel slightly lounge lizardish in it. I'd feel obliged to dress in the "style" of a man who likes golf and has an unusually close relationship with his secretary I fear.

P.S. Does anyone actually have a secretary any more?
I had a "gofor" but he was male (unusually)
By 'have' do you mean 'employ', or...?
See an innuendo capture of BBD class leading speed !
Well for those of us for whom 12 reg Maseratis are safely expensive, ie, you know that even with the sharpest of pencils you're still not going to get the maths to work so it doesn't matter really...

Now go and check out Alfa Breras on the well known second hand car website....

They are dangerously cheap now.

The first 12s of Spring. - Kevin
>Well for those of us for whom 12 reg Maseratis are safely expensive,

Surely this must be affordable on a Mod's salary:

www.sovereigncarsales.co.uk/Sports_Gridpos15.aspx

Pity about the red interior though.
 The first 12s of Spring. - DP
Mine is apparently turning up on Monday. Would have got it yesterday if they hadnt shipped me out to Germany for the week. Such is life.
This weekend I will be mostly cleaning the old one :-)
Latest Forum Posts