Motoring Discussion > Mildly amusing registration plates Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Herr Sandwichmann Replies: 22

Mildly amusing registration plates - Herr Sandwichmann
Another thread about the sorts of car your Dad has had got me thinking about what the registration plate combinations were. As his were all registered in B'ham they mainly had an 'O' in the middle of the three letter bit. Some were vaguely amusing:

GOB
SOP
MOB
DOF

My first car, though bought from a garage in Leeds, had been registered in Portsmouth, so had the following combination:

TOT

It was called the tragic TOT when it came back from the garage with a repair bill for £1k.

A car down the road from us when I was a kid was always filthy with dust, bird muck and general detritus, and had the combination of SHT.

Any cars you've ever had with amusing, apt or embarrassing combinations?
 Mildly amusing registration plates - Iffy
My previous Focus had the letters WKA.

Some people saw this as this an abbreviation for word I imagine would trip the swear filter.

I didn't find it the least bit amusing, and certainly not apt. :)

Mildly amusing registration plates - Pat
My mondeo had HGV even though it was pale lilac and a lorry I had was A234 MEG which meant most people called me that too:)

Pat
 Mildly amusing registration plates - Dr_Rubber
On a portaloo truck: LO 04 POO
On a car at work YE 51 BAD

PEN 1 S is still around somewhere....

Bit more difficult here, but as you have the whole alphabet to choose from I suppose you could come up with something using the fixed first letter(s)

Joe
 Mildly amusing registration plates - DP
My recently acquired Golf mk4 is AGH. Hope that doesn't prove to be true. ;-)

Best one by a country mile that I've seen was:

BA51ARD

With a strategically placed black screw at the top of the 1.

Mildly amusing registration plates - bathtub tom
Hire car in Malta:

tinyurl.com/29t99v7
 Mildly amusing registration plates - scousehonda
bt

Interesting date on the photo.

Have Liverpool managed to win the league title in the interim?
 Mildly amusing registration plates - bathtub tom
>>Interesting date on the photo.

Yes, quite! New camera and I hadn't worked that bit out at the time (I still haven't fully sussed all it's facilities).
 Mildly amusing registration plates - Bellboy
i see a focus index of 1 was also used in the taking of the picture
try 2 next time
;-)
 Mildly amusing registration plates - ....
My FIAT Coupe had the letters FUD.
It didn't mean anything to me but my wife whom I met in Edinburgh explained.

That car was a FUD magnet.

Mildly amusing registration plates - -
I've seen it not far from here and swmbo wants it so badly

AR51 COW
 Mildly amusing registration plates - Runfer D'Hills
I want AR51 GYT
 Mildly amusing registration plates - crocks
There are no AR51 registrations available. Maybe you could have BO07 CAR for £3999.
CR06KSS is only £999.

And for the OP CR06KED is only £999.
Last edited by: crocks on Sat 24 Apr 10 at 13:58
I have a mildly amusing plate. Well, it amuses me slightly anyway. Had it for donkeys years. It wouldn't really mean much to anyone else, it doesn't attempt to spell a name or anything. To most people it just makes my car look a lot older than it is and I don't suppose anyone cares much about that or notices it at all really. It's more like a crossword clue in some ways always supposing anyone could be troubled to work it out. Don't know why I keep it to be honest. Habit now. I'd publish it on here to allow you to deride//despise/admire/solve it or whatever but that's dodgy security or something isn't it ? S'pose it might be worth something but I've kind of got used to it being around. Hypocritically enough I'm not really very keen on them, although some are indeed a bit funny but there it sits, like an embarrassing garden gnome you inherited and can't be bothered to shift from the edge of your pond.
 Mildly amusing registration plates - swiss tony
A new one out, seen recently:

SK10 PAD

hope he replaces his tyres before they go bald......
 Mildly amusing registration plates - VxFan
My old mk2 Cavalier number plate ended in VWE.

If only it were true.
 Mildly amusing registration plates - Avant
That'll be the day when your dream of a fuel-injected VW comes true (VWE = VW Einspritzung). Looking forward to making a VW fan out of VX fan - at least it's a step up the alphabet. :)
 Mildly amusing registration plates - VxFan
Avant, the VW didn't stand for VolksWagen .
 Mildly amusing registration plates - BobbyG
I sometimes wonder about the people who buy plates that are so contrived and have to be explained.

But then yesterday I was looking on dvla website for anything that might resemble Bobby (honest) and noticed that for £250 i COULD GET j300BBY.

Now, I can't help but think I could pay £250 for it, advertise it as BOOBBY and I would find some daft blond who would pay a fortune for it to put on her pink Micra, and put in the necessary illegal spacing and bolts??
 Mildly amusing registration plates - Videodoctor
Theres a Porsche Cayenne round near me in black with darkened windows with the reg number of RIOT LA .

Its actually R10 TLA but it does look the part!
That reads more like Jobby to me ....er..... Bobby....
 Mildly amusing registration plates - FotheringtonTomas
I don't understand many of the number plates mentioned in this thread, but I did see a number plate reading Lxxx ARD, appropriately enough on one of those big porky van things, driven by a "blonde". My oppo. pointed out that it was supposed to spell "LIZ ARD", I can't think why someone would want that. Anyway, L ARD seemed better to me!
 Mildly amusing registration plates - Ted

Really, the best ones are the ones that don't need to be fiddled about with and just spell a word or a name........COM 1C.......MAG 1C.......TAX 1......G1 ANT....loads around.
ROB 1N....etc.

Ted
Latest Forum Posts