Motoring Discussion > That's it then... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 13

That's it then... - Runfer D'Hills
Last one out turn the lights off will you?

:-(

uk.autoblog.com/2012/03/07/next-mazda-mx-5-may-not-be-rear-wheel-drive/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk-ws-bb%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D99968
 That's it then... - Clk Sec
That's good news. I would consider buying a 5 when I no longer need a barge.

And I'll be able to drive it during the worst of the winter, too.
:)
 That's it then... - corax
Interesting. If Mazda make it front wheel drive, will they gain extra customers who buy the MX5 for the pose factor, or lose more rear drive 'enthusiasts' than they gain?

I would have thought that there were plenty of front wheel drive posemobiles such as the Mini and DS3 already - maybe a harder market for Mazda to compete in. Who know's?
Last edited by: corax on Mon 19 Mar 12 at 09:28
 That's it then... - ToMoCo
I think they would lose sales.

Certain people will buy it because it's RWD. They will lose out here.

Others will buy it not even knowing the difference, they will continue to buy regardless.
 That's it then... - Clk Sec
Perhaps some people will buy it because they just happen to prefer FWD.
 That's it then... - four wheels good...
>>
>> Others will buy it not even knowing the difference, they will continue to buy regardless.

I agree, I suspect the majority of people buy them not knowing or caring which wheels do what. It would be a shame for those who do though.
 That's it then... - DP
Ironic really that the original MX-5 was inspired by the original Lotus Elan, which itself went FWD in its last incarnation.

I would agree that most MX-5s are not bought by enthusiasts.
 That's it then... - movilogo
>> I would agree that most MX-5s are not bought by enthusiasts

+1

Most people buying MX5 do not care (or know) whether it is RWD or FWD.

PS: heading of this thread is misleading.
Last edited by: movilogo on Mon 19 Mar 12 at 12:55
 That's it then... - Dave_
>> most MX-5s are not bought by enthusiasts

I'd say they are. Most non-enthusiast buyers in the same market buy a MINI convertible, a Tigra or a Peugeot CC.

Remember the Autocar test on the FWD Isuzu-engined Lotus Elan? It was lauded as the best-handling FWD chassis bar none. A FWD MX-5 would be a big seller if Autocar etc were to proclaim a similar verdict. Imagine, Lotus Elan handling with Mazda MX-5 reliability, you couldn't lose.
 That's it then... - rtj70
I'd say there are many who buy one because they are rear wheel drive. And may who don't know and don't care (until they find out a difference in wet or icy conditions!).

But I am sure Mazda can make a fine handling FWD MX-5. The success of the MX-5 was not down to it being RWD.
 That's it then... - Manatee
>>The success of the MX-5 was not down to it being RWD.

Hard to say Shirley?

Mine's a bit of a banger, but I love it. Making them front wheel drive would render them pointless as far as I'm concerned. Have you driven one?
 That's it then... - rtj70
No but my brother had one for a few years in the USA. Cheep to insure. He then upgraded to a Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 and then a Beetle diesel. So he didn't buy it because it was RWD. Then again his wife has a cheap to run Honda Civic of some sorts.
 That's it then... - L'escargot
Mazda lamps stay brighter longer. tinyurl.com/7x9yx5s
 That's it then... - legacylad
I have two friends with MX5s. One bought it purely because it was RWD. The other as a cheapo, reliable old soft top and couldn't care less whether it was FWD or RWD.
When I was looking for a soft top I only considered RWD, although my next one can deliver up to 35% of its torque to the front wheels when necessary. I guess I can live with that.
Latest Forum Posts