Non-motoring > Hands up everyone... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 22

Hands up everyone... - Lygonos
...who thinks Mr O'Connor will get away with this one:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-18241762

/sits on hands
 Hands up everyone... - Zero
Right, now lets get this right. His defence is that the search was illegal because he gave a false name and ran away?

Run that by me again?
Looks even more feeble than the "Taylforth Defence".
 Hands up everyone... - Westpig
I wouldn't want that defence solicitor....the defence is he was arrested for running away, which isn't an offence?????

How about he was going to be arrested for possession of drugs, but prior to being able to he ran off, so they chased him and then arrested him???.......or he was chased and then detained, for a drug search???
 Hands up everyone... - Duncan
I have always understood that running away from the polis was not an offence in itself?

Provided, of course, that one hadn't already been detained.

No?
 Hands up everyone... - R.P.
It's not an offence per-se - the beautifully crafted PACE Act 1984 provided for this scenario with S24 - power to arrest someone who is suspected who is reasonably suspected of having or about to commit an arrestable offence, no doubt the SOCAP Act 2006 that repealed it has a badly worded mis-spelt equivelent written by some GCSE failed civil servant. Scotland has its own rubbish written laws.
 Hands up everyone... - devonite
>>reasonably suspected of having or about to commit an arrestable offence

This wording just about gives the Police the power to arrest anybody for doing absolutely nothing!
 Hands up everyone... - Bromptonaut
>> no doubt the SOCAP Act 2006
>> that repealed it has a badly worded mis-spelt equivelent written by some GCSE failed civil
>> servant.

Ouch!!! Mind you, the draughtsmen are usually lawyers :-P
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 29 May 12 at 19:51
 Hands up everyone... - R.P.
No offence meant BP :-o
 Hands up everyone... - Westpig
>> I have always understood that running away from the polis was not an offence in
>> itself?
>>
>> Provided, of course, that one hadn't already been detained.
>>
>> No?
>>

That's quite correct.

However, snorting a white substance in the back of a car and then running away is somewhat suggestive of the fact that you're in possession of a controlled drug....for which you can be arrested...so your lawyer trying to rely on the fact you were only arrested for running away ...is incredibly naive and/or weak...to say the least.

If it had been sawdust or flour, and he was suing for unlwaful arrest...he'd still be on weak ground, because of his suspiciuous behaviour and the power of arrest would be on the 'reasonable suspicion' of the arresting officer. The fact that it WAS a controlled drug doesn't leave any manouevre room at all.

Still, I suppose the lawyer's working on the presumption of give it a run and see what happens...and courts sometimes do strange things.
 Hands up everyone... - L'escargot
I sometimes hold a piece of paper (kitchen towel) to my nose when blowing it. I hope a policeman never sees me doing it, and misinterprets it!
 Hands up everyone... - Falkirk Bairn
Gary seems to bring matters on himself!

Insurance fraud trial on-going - £93,500 claim for a Ferrari write-off and an issue of when and who was driving

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-17940505

If he was given an essay to write "What did you do in your Summer Holidays"
 Hands up everyone... - Fullchat
Is the ability to write an esential or desirable skill in a footballers role requirement? :-O
 Hands up everyone... - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Is the ability to write an esential or desirable skill in a footballers role requirement?
>> :-O
>>

Not neccesarily.

However, this gem caught my eye:

"The striker was caught after he ran about 300m from the officers, and was found shaking and "out of breath,"..."

A pro footballer - and a striker at that - who can't run 300m without losing his puff?

No wonder Scotland aren't at the Euro2012, if their level of fitness is so carp!
 Hands up everyone... - BobbyG
He is also awaiting a charge on defrauding an insurance company after his Ferrari was found smashed up and he claimed it had been stolen........
Fail.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-18302010

Hands up everyone... - Ian (Cape Town)
"He is a professional footballer. His contract with Hibernian expired today. He is looking for a new club."

Yeah right... villain and coke-snorter? I'd sign him up in a minute!
Think Mutu.

>> "He is a professional footballer. His contract with Hibernian expired today. He is looking for
>> a new club."
>>

With a Fraud Trial on-going and sentencing for the "running away from policeman / Drugs offences" he might not be looking for a new job / new club as he may well have joined a club where membership does not include footballers wages and Ferraris but restricts your freedom.
 Hands up everyone... - Zero
Wow! who'd have thought it, I was sure he had a sound defence.
>> Wow! who'd have thought it, I was sure he had a sound defence.
>>

Not guilty in Ferrari Fraud charge

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-18367046

A decision not to be sniffed at!
No Porridge - Community Service of 200 hrs

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-18644100
 Hands up everyone... - Fullchat
He's still leading his innocence.

...O'Connor's lawyers at Bridge Litigation later said the footballer would be appealing his conviction.

The law firm said in a statement: "He has now instructed an appeal which will seek to challenge the entire conviction from Edinburgh Sheriff Court."....
>> ...who thinks Mr O'Connor will get away with this one:
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-18241762
>>
>> /sits on hands
>>

and this time?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-20585732
Latest Forum Posts