Non-motoring > The Great Egg Race Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 8

The Great Egg Race - Crankcase
If you saw it the first time round, you may have good memories.

If you didn't, now's your chance.

The Great Egg Race is now on the BBC Archive site. Just watched the gramophone one. Oh, those shirts'n'haircuts.

All good fun.

www.bbc.co.uk/archive/great_egg_race/10813.shtml

The Great Egg Race - TheManWithNoName
Good post. I remember watching this as a kid.

Did James Burke ever present it too or am I thinking of something else?
James did all those Tomorrow's Worlds, Connections and Moon shot stuff, but not the Egg Race as I recall.

Just seen them strip old 2CVs down to their fundamentals and build them up again to build a hand carryable car that runs with no petrol.
aaah, Connections. That's what I was thinking of.
 The Great Egg Race - Alastairw
Heinz Wolf was the chap.

In my aural French O level exam I was asked what my favourite TV programme was by the examiner. My answer? 'Le Grand Oueffe Race' Needless to say I got a 'U' for unclassified in French, which I am perversely proud of.
 The Great Egg Race - R.P.
I used to love it as a spotty teenager. Heinz Wolf is still around ?
 The Great Egg Race - Zero
>> I used to love it as a spotty teenager. Heinz Wolf is still around ?

Yup. He has even had the pleasure of reading his own obituary when the Sun erroneously thought he had died and published it.

He would have enjoyed that.
Whilst I'm poking about the archives, if you have any memories of London in the mid fifties, this might appeal. Last shown Sun 7 Aug 1955, so not sure when they'll be repeating it.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00s8qlf/Cities_of_Europe_London_We_Live_by_the_River/

Not much may have changed in terms of buildings and so forth, but the two boys seem to have a lovely day without their parents knowing where they are until well after closing time, wandering about unaccompanied, all day, and enjoying simple things like feeding the ducks.

Quite a change when, as I'm given to understand it, modern youth needs to be ferried in a four by four with retinal playstations, and if Daddy had arranged for the people of Australia to link arms and hold burning torches spelling their names with a live satellite view beamed to a 90 inch plasma two feet from their heads if they would only look, they would grunt "Bah. No time" and carry on with Call of Inhumanity - the Killing Zone.

Prof Heinz Wolff is the archytypal 'mad professor'.
Mad hair, bald on top and half moon specs balanced on his nose.
All he needs is a white lab coat with a pocketful of biro's to complete the look.
Oh, and an assistant called Igor to throw the switch.

Lightning, I need lightning. Mwah ha ha ha ha!
Latest Forum Posts