Non-motoring > G.Tech cleaners. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 32

G.Tech cleaners. - Ted

Responding to a plaintive shout from my cleaning staff this morning, I had to carry our vacuum cleaner upstairs. I'm finding it to be getting heavier each time. ( Perhaps she should try emptying it ? )

Any road up, I suggested it might be time to get a lightweight for upstairs. Co-incidentally, on the back page of The Mail Review was a full page ad for G.Tech products. They make a cordless power sweeper, a bit on the principle of the old Ewbank. The super de-luxe on is a click under £90 and available at Lakeland, who have a good returns policy and a branch not far away.

Plenty of YouTube stuff showing it at work but taken with a pinch of salt if they've posted the stuff themselves.

Any of you lot got/used one ? We have a plain burgundy carpet in the dining room which shows more bits ( than you could cobble a dog with ) within a short time after vacuuming.

Is it worth a punt ? I don't want to spend Lud's sort of money on an Oreck if I don't have to.

Ted
 G.Tech cleaners. - Falkirk Bairn
Battery powered cleaner - we had on a few years back - OK for 5 mins per day for a few crumbs - sent it back as you had to re-charge it all the time.

Son has battery powered lawnmower (+ spare battery) but it lacks the grunt to cut grass that has not been cut for more than say 7 days....
 G.Tech cleaners. - devonite
We still have an olde Ewbank, for exactly as you say! - getting the bits that magically re-appear just as the "Vac" is put away. No Cords, Batteries or need for charging, just good old push-along technology! Somethings are best unmodified!
 G.Tech cleaners. - Manatee
>>Somethings are best unmodified!

"Unspoilt by progress".
 G.Tech cleaners. - Robin O'Reliant
Get a second vac for upstairs and keep it there. That's what I did, getting a cheap pull along from ebay (£27)that sits in the bottom of the wardrobe. You don't need as much suction power upstairs as it's only dust to pick up, no debri brought in on your shoes.
 G.Tech cleaners. - Bromptonaut
>> Get a second vac for upstairs and keep it there.

That's what we did as well. Cylinder downstairs where it's all pergo except for vinyl in kitchen. Upright upstairs for carpets. My mother has a battery jobbie, similar to that you describe. It's OK for picking up crumbs after meals but not much else.

Battery lawnmowers have gone backwards in forty years. My Father had an Atco battery electric cylinder mower bought new in 1966. Powered by what was essentially a car battery but additionally tapped at 9v for slow running.

Would comfortably do the very large lawns of the thirties built house we lived in at time. Charge overnight.

G.Tech cleaners. - Lygonos
Got one which we use more than the proper vac - charge lasts about 20mins.

Cost under 40 quid and emptying consists of puling out a tray and tilting it into the bin.

As a picker-upper it's fine.
 G.Tech cleaners. - Pat
That's my answer too, I keep the old cylinder vac upstairs and the Dyson upright (which weighs a ton and won't go wrong so I can replace it), downstairs.

I 'hoover' the stairs with a good old trusted stiff hand brush as it's the safest option these days!

Oh how I long for those days when I worked away all week and had a cleaner....

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Mon 24 Sep 12 at 05:11
 G.Tech cleaners. - MD
HENRY.

YOU know it makes sense.
 G.Tech cleaners. - VxFan
>> HENRY.
>>
>> YOU know it makes sense.

Not all it's cracked up to be. Motor is only rated at something like 1200 watts. There are far more powerful vacuum cleaners on the market, cheaper and lighter too.

And the annoying eco button on the current Henry's is a PITA. Why can't it remember the last setting you had it set to instead of defaulting to the lower suction speed all the time when you switch it back on. I don't know anyone that uses a Henry on the low setting anyway. At least the earlier Henry's had a rocker switch that stayed in the same position you switched it to.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 24 Sep 12 at 10:39
Doesn't matter how many watts a pure vacuum cleaner has - it can't suck any more than -14.7psi at the nozzle.

G.Tech cleaners. - Runfer D'Hills
I wish I knew stuff like that.

:-)
Its not really a vacuum is it? - its rapid displacement of Air from one point to another, which creates a low pressure area at the input point.
I knew that. Cough...
And the flow of air is caused by the creation of a partial vacuum - which cannot exceed 1 atmosphere at sea-level.

More watts can allow a bigger nozzle of course.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 24 Sep 12 at 20:33
Obviously.
 G.Tech cleaners. - Focusless
But do typical cleaners get near that? (1 atmosphere)
Last edited by: Focus on Mon 24 Sep 12 at 20:36
This is a parallel universe right? People don't really know things like this do they?

:-)
 G.Tech cleaners. - Kevin
>More watts can allow a bigger nozzle of course.

I've been told the Anne Summers one is good. Apparently.
Beats as it sweeps as it cleans?
 G.Tech cleaners. - Kevin
>Beats as it sweeps as it cleans?

You have the Mosley version?
Not sure, I think it's just a humble Henry but come to think of it, it does have a "Max" setting, so maybe you're on to something. Wouldn't know really. It's my wife's. I don't interfere.
 G.Tech cleaners. - TeeCee
>> Battery lawnmowers have gone backwards in forty years. My Father had an Atco battery electric
>> cylinder mower bought new in 1966. Powered by what was essentially a car battery but
>> additionally tapped at 9v for slow running.
>>
>> Would comfortably do the very large lawns of the thirties built house we lived in
>> at time. Charge overnight.
>>

All about expectations. You wouldn't expect a cylinder mower to cut grass that had been allowed to grow to an unkempt state, but would get the scythe out.
Likewise you wouldn't expect to be able to carry a decent cylinder mower out to the lawn, so there's no problem in adding some serious battery grunt to one.

My father and grandfather both had Atco cyclinder mowers, my grandfather's was an electric one and my father's a petrol job. Neither would cut long grass well[1] and both were a two-man job to carry.

[1] Wind up to full cut height, leave off the grass box and you only had to stop and declag every minute or so (stomp blades round with foot). That left the problem of needing to rake up the clippings before going in with a lower cut setting to prevent the things clagging on the earlier clippings.
 G.Tech cleaners. - Bromptonaut
>> Likewise you wouldn't expect to be able to carry a decent cylinder mower out to
>> the lawn, so there's no problem in adding some serious battery grunt to one.
>>
>> My father and grandfather both had Atco cyclinder mowers, my grandfather's was an electric one
>> and my father's a petrol job. Neither would cut long grass well[1] and both were
>> a two-man job to carry.

Indeed. There was an old shed door kept by the steps to the lawn and used as a ramp. Mower was powered up it on roller with front roller raised off ground.
 G.Tech cleaners. - L'escargot
>> but would get the scythe out.

I haven't seen a decent size scythe since the one my granddad used to use to cut the edges of the corn fields in preparation for the arrival of the binder.
 G.Tech cleaners. - henry k
>> I haven't seen a decent size scythe since the one my granddad used to use
>> to cut the edges of the corn fields
>>
Probably banned by elf n safety
Oh no not true. Alpine scythes and Bramble scythes are still available. Rebranding now that they are no longer used for corn ?

shop.visatools.co.uk/edge-products-32-c.asp?gclid=CNKbxbbBzrICFYTMtAodChUAhQdut

Love some of the names of items on offer :-)
?>>Love some of the names of items on offer :-)

Grass hooks were called Sickles when I was a Lad!
 G.Tech cleaners. - Old Navy
>> Battery powered cleaner - we had on a few years back - OK for 5
>> mins per day
>>
>> Son has battery powered lawnmower (+ spare battery) but it lacks the grunt to cut
>> grass that has not been cut for more than say 7 days....
>>

And we are supposed to buy electric cars?
 G.Tech cleaners. - L'escargot
>> ......... than you could cobble a dog with .............

It's dogs, Ted, dogs, not a dog.
;-)
 G.Tech cleaners. - Ted

:-P

Didn't know all you big tough guys were so domesticated.
This is Vacuum world here......she can never get the right one !

There is a cylinder one upstairs but she don't not like it. The Henry is too good for the house so I've claimed it for the workshop....without a bag, it's very sucky. There's a mains Dust Devil in the caravan and that's where it stays.
Two more live in the garage, a cylinder I was given and a Vax upright which she doesn't think is any good.

Anyway, thanks for all the input, Ladies. I have no doubt we will be buying what she's got the hots for !

Ted
 G.Tech cleaners. - jc2
Aren't Henry and family part of VAX now?
 G.Tech cleaners. - Roger.
VAX direct sales for cylinder vacuum cleaners:- tinyurl.com/czfe3lz
 G.Tech cleaners. - Robin O'Reliant
>> VAX direct sales for cylinder vacuum cleaners:- tinyurl.com/czfe3lz
>>
Me and my bargepole wouldn't go within a mile of a Vax.
Latest Forum Posts