Non-motoring > Died today Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 44

Died today - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs
 Died today - Armel Coussine
Ah Zero you are a man of taste and some culture despite your flawed personality. And you beat me to it with one of the supremos of cool, one of many jazz heroes of youth.

Must have been clean living for a white jazzman too, to make 91. They weren't all made of iron like black bluesmen.
 Died today - Lygonos
Listening to R4 in the car earlier - must be one of coolest tunes ever.
 Died today - Focusless
Because you can't dance to it? Or perhaps you can - not something I'd like to try though :)
 Died today - Bromptonaut
Another of those "I thought he'd been dead for years" things.
 Died today - Fenlander
Every sax buskers dream to play that with feeling... many fails heard.
 Died today - Roger.
Not my sort of jazz, but he was a legend.
 Died today - Manatee
>> Every sax buskers dream to play that with feeling... many fails heard.
>>

I'm a bore on the subject of the drum solo on Take Five. Usually have to play it again.
 Died today - CGNorwich
"I'm a bore on the subject of the drum solo on Take Five. "

Reminds me of the drumming joke:

A scientific expedition disembarks from its plane at the final outpost of civilisation in the deepest Amazon rain forest. They immediately notice the ceaseless thrumming of native drums. As they venture further into the bush, the drums never stop, day or night, for weeks. The lead scientist asks one of the natives about this, and the native's only reply is "Drums good. Drums never stop. Very bad if drums stop." The drumming continues, night and day, until one night, six weeks into the trip, when the jungle is suddenly silent. Immediately the natives run screaming from their huts, covering their ears. The scientists grab one boy and demand "What is it? The drums have stopped!" The terror-stricken youth replies "Yes! Drums stop! Very bad!" The scientists ask "Why? Why? What will happen?" Wide-eyed, the boy responds, " . . .

BASS SOLO!!!"

Died today - Lygonos
>>BASS SOLO!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGdQUMzRVxA

Well I know it's not technically solo but the other 2 guys are just background ;-)
 Died today - Dog
>>Because you can't dance to it? Or perhaps you can - not something I'd like to try though :)<<

They used to say that about Pink Floyd (Pipers) in the 60's, but we managed it at the middle earth club in Covent Garden and the roundhouse in Chalk Farm :-))
>> you can't dance to it? Or perhaps you can - not something I'd like to try though :)

Heh heh Focus... you're right, it's possible but you have to be a better dancer than me to get away with it. That sort of jazz doesn't encourage people to dance like proper disco stuff or carnival salsa or African nightclub big bands... It's chamber jazz really.
 Died today - Focusless
Of course I spoke too soon - here's something to try down the disco at the weekend:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rYNUQhcTB4

:)
 Died today - Haywain
But the only time it worked as a dance rather than a glorified silly walk was in the middle when it changed to 4/4 time ;-)
>> only time it worked as a dance rather than a glorified silly walk

There's no dividing line between them Haywain, believe me. It only becomes truly embarrassing when the dancer or silly walker can't 'keep time', something that is itself pretty flexible given the nature of syncopated music.

Consciously or deliberately comic or ridiculous dancing is quite common among the sort of (very good) dancers I have often known. Dancing is supposed to be fun as well as showing off. Weighty dignity and bopping are uncomfortable bedfellows.
>> :)

Focusless, that clip is truly appalling. Just for a start the big band rendering of the simple little jazz tune turns it from jazz into the ghastly uptight white man's jazzoid that prevails in things one doesn't watch on TV and places one wouldn't be seen dead in. And the costumes... yuck, and that mincing choreographed cod-19th-century stagey carp... I thought we were talking about dancing.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Thu 6 Dec 12 at 17:23
 Died today - Focusless
To be honest I just did a search on youtube for 'take five dance', had a quick listen (on the laptop) to the top result to check it sounded vaguely familiar, and posted.

I've just watched the whole thing on the smart-ish TV, and I can see what you mean. It's definitely what you might call 'an arrangement' of Take 5, sounding more like a wonky samba I reckon. Entertaining though in its own way :)
>> Entertaining though in its own way :)

Shudder... that sort of crap was wall to wall when I were a nipper. No wonder my generation consists largely of spivs and criminals.
 Died today - John H
>> Ah Zero you are a man of taste and some culture despite
>>

Zero is cooler than absolute zero.

Died today - Londoner
I've never "got" jazz. I recognize that the genre has many talented performers but it leaves me cold.
However I don't actively dislike it, though I feel very uncomfortable listening to that singing that some artists do without an actual words. For some reason, it makes me acutely embarrassed to even listen to it.
 Died today - CGNorwich
It's called scat singing.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 6 Dec 12 at 08:14
 Died today - VxFan
>> It's called scat singing.

yuk!
 Died today - Haywain
">> It's called scat singing.

yuk!"

+1

I usually play folk stuff, but I do spend time at the monthly modern jazz club. I can't stand 'scat' either - I always reckon it's the jazz equivalent of the 'fol de diddle diddle' stuff in folk singing.
 Died today - CGNorwich
Don't suppose this will change your mind but I think its brilliant. Ella was surely the finest ever jazz and popular singer.

www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=PbL9vr4Q2LU
 Died today - Focusless
>> www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=PbL9vr4Q2LU

Thanks CGN - after watching that I can confirm that I'm definitely in the 'don't get it' camp :)
 Died today - Zero
>> >> www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=PbL9vr4Q2LU

Definition of scat.

scat

To go away hastily; leave at once.

scat
Jazz singing in which improvised, meaningless syllables are sung to a melody.

scat

Excrement, especially of an animal; dung.

I will say no more.
>> Zero is cooler than absolute zero.

By your standards perhaps. Not by everyone's.
 Died today - John H
>> >> Zero is cooler than absolute zero.
>>
>> By your standards perhaps. Not by everyone's.
>>
>>

either, physics is not your strong point,

or, once again it is a case of

" I can't have been actually drunk so early in the evening but something seems to have caused a disequilibrium. It could be that spending time in this virtual world is driving me mad."

>> physics is not your strong point,

Not my strongest, but I do know what absolute zero means. Weren't you saying rhetorically that Zero was very cool indeed? Looked like that to me, sober as a judge and not especially barmy today.
 Died today - John H
>> Not my strongest, but I do know what absolute zero means.
>>
>>

Any fule know that you cannot get cooler than absolute zero. Ergo, I was lying, feint praise indeed.
Last edited by: John H on Thu 6 Dec 12 at 16:59
>> Ergo, I was lying, feint praise indeed.

Ooo, ah, all right then. A tiny bit convoluted for a straightforward polemicist like me.
 Died today - CGNorwich
Absolute zero is of course 273 degrees cooler that zero.
 Died today - L'escargot
It looks like he's taken more than five this time.
 Died today - bathtub tom
The first record I ever bought, put it on the back of the bike and it wasn't there when I got home.
 Died today - Zero
Dunno if anyone else is a huge fan of Hall & Oates like me, however I came across this this evening, a series of U Tube videos called Live from Daryl's house.

This one in particular, they cover the classic O Jays hit Backstabbers, Simply brilliant IMHO of course!

Skip to two minutes for the song

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkL8gR7__As
 Died today - Dutchie
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvr5fyuDaMY

Dave Brubeck great player.This girl can play a bit Candy Dulfer.
 Died today - Dutchie
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNx4EbTu10w

Sorry got carried away she can play more than a bit one of the best.
 Died today - Focusless
>> Simply brilliant IMHO of course!

Mods - someone's hijacked Z's account :)
 Died today - Dog
>>Mods - someone's hijacked Z's account :)<<

>LOL<
 Died today - Dutchie
Not a bad looking lass isn't she Dog? Actually..;)
 Died today - Roger.
She's playing the sexophone nicely.
 Died today - Dog
Nice boobs boots ;)
 Died today - devonite
I just don`t "get" Jazz - can`t understand why the Americans seen to love it so avidly!
 Died today - Zero
Thats cos you like "nowt burra brass band"
 Died today - devonite
Thats quite true actually! - I enjoy a good marching Brass/Silver Band! be it Sally-Army, Collier or Bae shipyards! ;-) - genuine sound of the North.
Latest Forum Posts