Non-motoring > How much?! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 29

How much?! - Crankcase
Saw the programme on the BBC about Claridges last night. The most expensive suite was I think 6.5k a night. They talked about some places charging things like 15k a night. Not really my league that.

What's the most you've paid, or be prepared to pay for a night's stay in a hotel, and was it worth it?

Mine is a very modest £130, which included breakfast, and we enjoyed it very much. Some "country house hotel" in Norfolk I think. Mostly, we'd hope to pay sub £100 and still get something good. We've paid as little as £65 in a B&B with breakfast and it's been great.
 How much?! - R.P.
About $200.00 for beach side suite in Florida - worth every cent.
 How much?! - CGNorwich
I suppose would pay up to £200 per night for a few nights city break but generally I prefer to rent an apartment or house if staying for more than 3 days. £100 per night will normally get you far better and spacious apartment than it will a hotel room.
 How much?! - Duncan
The Hanoi Sofitel Legend Metropole. Fantastic service.

How much? I don't know. It was a treat.
 How much?! - sooty123
£200-250 as a one off treat.

Stayed in a few real top notch ones but thankful I wasn't paying the bill.
 How much?! - NeilS
early November 2001, offers everywhere after September 11 so took 3 nights at $200 a night for a junior suite in the Waldorf Astoria and did some Xmas shopping. Lost count on day one of the number of Americans thanking us for not staying away.

My son on his travels recently spent $3 for a night in a bamboo constructed "hotel" in Cambodia, thought it overpriced.
 How much?! - Stuu
£40 and even that felt like a waste, I would rather have driven home but the wife wanted to stay late at a wedding reception. bed was very comfortable though and I got to watch Tokyo Drift which was better than I expected although Lucas Black cannot ever really escape looking like a serial killer.
 How much?! - L'escargot
If you've got it, flaunt it.
 How much?! - diddy1234
Stayed in the Plaza hotel last weekend.
Cheap rooms are £175 (pre booked) but go up to a couple of grand if you want your own butler, private entrance and exclusive shopping mall.

I didn't foot the bill though nor did my 500 colleagues.
free drinks all night as well.

who says work is bad for you ?
 How much?! - Alanovich
>> If you've got it, flaunt it.
>>

If I had it, that's the last thing I'd be doing.
 How much?! - Zero
1984, Raffles Singapore, Same cabin as Noel Coward, (he wasnt there i hasten to add) 250 quid a night for two nights.

And a game of snooker on the table under which the last tiger in Singapore had been shot. (before I got there I hasten to add)
 How much?! - devonite
Do they shoot many Tigers in Snooker rooms over there then? they must get in through the french windows!
 How much?! - WillDeBeest
What impressed me about the Claridges programme was that you could see where the money goes: minute attention to detail requiring huge amounts of expensive person-time. Beds are configured and furniture rearranged to regular customers' exact preferences, so getting a room ready could require a day's work by half a dozen people, rather than the fifteen-minute tidy-up that's the norm even in a £200 hotel.

I think I'd find all that slightly camp personal attention cloying but evidently it's just what some customers keep coming back for, so who's to judge? The staff themselves seemed warm and genuine, and that attitude can go a long way.
 How much?! - sooty123
I missed the show, worth watching?
 How much?! - Crankcase
>> I missed the show, worth watching?
>>

Can't answer that for you, but we skipped it when broadcast as the trailers looked a bit dreary, but then someone said it was good so we caught up with it and were glad we did. Quite interesting, a bit entertaining, yeah, watchable if there's nothing proper on and you've run out of books to read. We'll watch the next one.
 How much?! - Zero
>> Do they shoot many Tigers in Snooker rooms over there then?

Not any more, it was the last one remember.

How much?! - Chas
£500 a night it worked out with meals/drinks at Atlantis Dubai. 2009 and this year. Much better to go when the weather is cooler but prices are higher.

Superb service, waterpark, aquarium and a great room. Huge place but made to feel welcome especially on our second visit.

How much?! - Roger.
5 nights at the Shangri-La, Singapore, followed by 5 nights at the Rasa Sayang, Penang, in 1988 or 1989. A "business" jolly for Lada Cars & the introduction of Proton cars.

Cost: £500 each for the two of us, including overnight in a Heathrow hotel, flights on Singapore Airways, (luggage not seen from Heathrow hotel room to the Shangi-La room) all transfers, free food, including several banquets, for 9 nights, free entertainment by Jack Jones (awful) and a magician whose name escapes me.

Best of all, I could and did, charge the cost to my parts & warranty account with Lada Cars!
Last edited by: Roger on Fri 7 Dec 12 at 13:41
 How much?! - Bromptonaut
A country house place called Nanny Brow in the Lakes. now closed I think. Mum and Dad paid for a weekend there for the family to mark their ruby wedding in 1991. Excellent food and wine well served. Probably cost Dad a couple of £k at least for 6 of us.

Mrs B and I stayed in the Lakes for the rest of the week at Longthwaite YH. We were much happier.

Only other place of 'standing' I've visited is the five star Saint David's in Cardiff. One of Rocco Forte's places at time. Actually for a work conference but accom for the team plus day delegate rates for 60 or so were pretty much same as in the mudane chains in central Cardiff.Nice ambience and excellent service at dinner but I wouldn't have felt I was getting value at the 'rack' rate.

Attention to our needs running the event was streets ahead of what I've experienced in other provincial hotels. The first thing cheaper places save on is people, then food.
 How much?! - No FM2R
Waldorf Astoria, a week each May for a few years. It was something like $1,500 per night, or thereabouts.

The price of the Gin & Tonics was directly proportional to the cost of the rooms.

Thank the Lord for expense accounts.
 How much?! - Fullchat
Stayed there a couple of years ago on a pre Christmas trip. Have to say it was in one of the cheaper rooms. The Waldorf Astoria was the base for the hearings into the sinking of the Titanic.
 How much?! - sooty123
>> Waldorf Astoria, a week each May for a few years. It was something like $1,500
>> per night, or thereabouts.
>>
>> The price of the Gin & Tonics was directly proportional to the cost of the
>> rooms.
>>
>> Thank the Lord for expense accounts.
>>

Must have been some expense account! :)
 How much?! - CGNorwich
I just took a look at the Waldorf Astoria website. The Penthouse suite is $8,500 per night but what amused me is that WiFi is $18.90 extra.
 How much?! - henry k
Last time I paid for an hotel room was over 10 years ago in New Zealand
None were expensive. Loved this one - not expensive but in the best Art Deco place in the world.
www.masonic.co.nz/

We usually rent a flat or a house so no idea re prices.

When I travelled on business rooms were all paid for me.

Near the start of my travels I stayed one night in a Moss side brothel.
At the other end of my travels I was booked into the Ramses Hilton in Cairo, on the banks of the Nile, by the Egyptian Museum and next to Tahrir Square.
I was booked into a business class room but got upgraded to " a Presidential suite".
Through the big double door entrance into the hallway. Big bedroom & en suite also an outside patio and chairs. A very large lounge with several large settees arranged around a marble fire place. A further bathroom / wardrobes annex.
A very large second patio with cane chairs etc with a view across the Nile to the Pyramids. The whole thing themed on Africa.

I cannot see it listed on the hotel website so I assume it is only for those in the know:-)
I cannot guess the price but I suspect someone in the company pulled strings.

Price today with a good view of Tahrir Square ??
 How much?! - smokie
Not an overnight, but four or five years ago I was taken to Royal Ascot on Ladies Day on a package that was just under £900 IIRC - full Royal Enclosure dress code (cost me about £130 to hire!), but it was food and champagne all the way. The waiter came round at about 4pm offering drinks, everyone else was onto tea and coffee by then, I asked for another bottle of pink - he said he'd never seen anyone drink as much and still be standing :-)

I'd also been the previous year, not quite as expensive or as near the Royal Encl, but that was a box for 12, where you had your own 2 silver service waiting staff and kitchenette out the back where they prepped your food (or reheated it!)

Both years were a fantastic experience but I wouldn't repeat them at my own cost...

Racing, what racing? :-)
 How much?! - Crankcase
..and I thought 15k a night was expensive. Clearly I've not been thinking big enough.

How many people in the world could/would afford this holiday?

tinyurl.com/bugvv6w
Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 7 Dec 12 at 15:11
 How much?! - Ted

A night last month at the Cambridge in Huddersfield......everything new, usual room facilities and en-suite. £39.00 Excellent breakfast for a fiver. Covered parking. Staff attentive and friendly.

Why pay more ?

Ted
 How much?! - Zero

>> Why pay more ?
>>
>> Ted

Huddersfield? you was robbed mate.
 How much?! - Stuu
My nan paid £3.5k back in 2008 to rent an 8 bedroom country house in Norfolk for a week. It came complete with piano, a couple of acres and a rather lovely indoor pool. I suppose between 6 of us it wasnt that expensive really for what you got.
 How much?! - mikeyb
Not sure that I've ever spent more than about 200 on a room only, but when I do travel for work purposes the bar / food / services bill often push the nightly total beyond 200
Latest Forum Posts