Non-motoring > Debit card transactions are amusing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 13

Debit card transactions are amusing - L'escargot
A few weeks ago I bought some petrol with my debit card, but the amount hasn't been debited from my account. More recently I made an internet purchase using my debit card and the item has just arrived for a second time without the price being debited from my account a second time. I'm not complaining, I'm just amused!
 Debit card transactions are amusing - rtj70
The card was probably cloned at the petrol station instead of taking a payment. In a few weeks you'll probably find your account empty.... Only joking - I hope that does not happen.
 Debit card transactions are amusing - RattleandSmoke
I do know somebody who had their card cloned at a petrol station several years ago. They lost £1000s but the police got involved and they did get their money back. The guy working there actually got prosecuted for it.

Debit card transactions are amusing - mikeyb
I paid by credit (not debit) card for an xmas gift in December. Didn't appear on my statement until March.

Bit disappointing as I thought I had "got away" with it :-)
 Debit card transactions are amusing - RattleandSmoke
Sometimes I find that it doesn't show up, but the actual amount has been taken from the account. I had this problem when I booked a hotel in Spain.

It didnt how up on my statement for days, but the bank could see that I made payment to that hotel but the booking agent thought my booking had been over looked. It was all very odd.
 Debit card transactions are amusing - mikeyb
They authorize the payment at the point it goes through so your available balance drops straight away even though the transaction is actually processed later. Its to stop you spending beyond your available means

What I don't understand is why some transactions appear within a day or two and others take longer. Is there an incentive for the retailer to batch transactions?
 Debit card transactions are amusing - L'escargot
>> The card was probably cloned at the petrol station instead of taking a payment. In
>> a few weeks you'll probably find your account empty.... Only joking - I hope that
>> does not happen.
>>

I'm aware of the lack of protection you get with debit card transactions as opposed to credit card transactions, so I never keep a large amount in my current account.
 Debit card transactions are amusing - Crankcase
We're all different and I'm certainly not holier than thou, but in both cases I'd feel happier querying it. If that got nowhere easily and quickly fair enough, but I'd have to do it.

Had a thing last week. Lovefilm have got into a confusion and are sending me more discs than I'm paying for. I queried it. The reply showed they had totally not read what I said and they think all is well. Ok, I tried, and they can send me as many as they want. I have it in writing it's fine and I won't be charged extra somewhere down the line.
 Debit card transactions are amusing - Roger.
Does Lovefilm have anything decent to watch? (i was wondering about a trial sub for the TV app.)
Last edited by: Roger on Sat 20 Apr 13 at 17:15
 Debit card transactions are amusing - Zero
>> Does Lovefilm have anything decent to watch? (i was wondering about a trial sub for
>> the TV app.)

No, nothing.
Stacks. It's Netflix that are more limited although I sub to them too.
You can see what they have on their website without subscribing if you want.

Even more in the US but I just stick with the UK ones.

I see Zero has au different opinion! Grin.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Sat 20 Apr 13 at 17:19
 Debit card transactions are amusing - Zero
I did a trial sub to both Netflix and Love film, Both were a waste of time for choice of films.
Each to their own. But there's a top 100 BFI films on Lovefilm and I've not seen all 100 of those yet, for example.
 Debit card transactions are amusing - VxFan
>> I'm aware of the lack of protection you get with debit card transactions as opposed
>> to credit card transactions, so I never keep a large amount in my current account.

When my debit card was hacked, I ended up being blacklisted. Took quite a while to clear my name because stupid computers classed me as a credit risk because of someone else's wrong doing.
Latest Forum Posts