Non-motoring > Old site Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 28

Old site - bathtub tom
Message has been updated I see.
 Old site - Vicar of Bray
looks lIke they wIll be hostIng photos....
 Old site - LINGsCARS
Yes, a step too far in many people's eyes.

New-fangled photos. You would think it was 1910 not 2010. :)
 Old site - rtj70
I hear there are some people with these new fangled Logie Baird devices with moving photos. It will never catch on.
 Old site - R.P.
The old Hamond in the corner will have to go now that the movies have voices - Colour will never catch on.
 Old site - Vicar of Bray
I can see a technologIcal, feature rIch arms race over the the next 14 days.
:)
 Old site - Crankcase
Ah, now then - the first Hammond wasn't sold until 1935, whereas the talkies were happening a good ten years earlier.

Sorry, couldn't help it.
 Old site - R.P.
Thanks I'll send it back to Arkwright's !
 Old site - Vicar of Bray
Come on LIng, scroll down and joIn my 1899 thread :-)
 Old site - Bellboy
things i see on the old site
1/ it was never intended to return the old style but nobody including honest john had the balls to stand up like a man and admit it
2/The Honest John Team is how its signed off,i absolutelty hate americanisms
3/who really is running this site? are we going to see it as being taken over by say ling cars or is it an arm of the telegraph or is it totally independant

personally i think we should be given a bit more insight into how why where and what because unless ive missed it i really dont know who runs this site

a concerned old dodger............
 Old site - Pat
I've wondered if >>>>> are we going to see it as being taken over by say ling cars<<<<, is the finance behind it.

Pat
 Old site - RattleandSmoke
Who ever is running it does not understand how people use the internet. Its like a damn good pub if it closes it has a very very loyal following you can be damn sure they will flock to another purb and turn that into a damn good pub.

If it does open on the 14th of March do they really expect their user base to return?
 Old site - rtj70
>> If it does open on the 14th of March do they really expect their user base to return?

Probably. And some may go back. We hope they come back here.
 Old site - Zero
t looks like the old site has taken a much more commercial shift. And to be honest? it looks much more professionally designed. I assume from what I can see, the forum will be so as well, and will include many of the features the luddites on here abhor.

The mods have gone ( I assume they wont be going back after all that's happened) so the old place will be very different when it comes back. I expect it to be much less chatty.

I feel these two forums will cater to two different styles.
 Old site - BobbyG
Interestingly, if this was the old site, this thread would have been deleted as it refers to another forum!

snip :-)

The other site is more commercial. This one will evolve. I hope the backers will say something at some point. Hence me avoiding saying anything and mod'ing. Bear with them.
Last edited by: welshy on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 20:49
 Old site - RattleandSmoke
I am guessing this site might be more run as a hobby though where as the other one has always been a commerical site and I have always been under the impression it wasn't just one guys site but a much bigger affair.

Most the sucessful forums are not run for profit but they run it in away where they can earn enough from it to cover their costs.
 Old site - swiss tony
>>1/ the old site / to be honest? it looks much more professionally designed. I assume from what I can see the forum will be so as well
>>2/ The mods have gone ( I assume they wont be going back after all that's
>> happened) so the old place will be very different when it comes back. I expect
>> it to be much less chatty.
>>
>> 3/I feel these two forums will cater to two different styles.
>>

in my view (sorry for inserting / cutting but hope its more understandable)

1/ yes it DOES look a lot more professionally designed - that should drag in new 'customers'
2/ if they have lost all the mods, then they will have big problems in moderating the forum, if they havent, will this site lose some of its mods?
3/ as the style WILL be different to the old one, just how many of us will want to go back?

rats got it in one with the pub analogy - a glass of beer may only be a glass of beer, but it tastes better when drunk amongst friends!
 Old site - rtj70
>> yes it DOES look a lot more professionally designed

Please remember this is a basic forum setup quickly last week. It is therefore basic and will evolve. The other site with its articles, reviews, etc is currently more than a forum. Although at the moment it's not got a forum at all one could say.
 Old site - swiss tony
>> >> yes it DOES look a lot more professionally designed
>>
>> Please remember this is a basic forum setup quickly last week.

welshy, I think you have slightly misunderstood!
I put the word does in capitals to emphasize the fact that looks arent everything!
also, reread my 3rd point...and my closing remark... I though that may have made my feelings more obvious!
Im a bit of a luddite at heart, in as much as if something works, dont change it - especially if the updated version has more faults than the old one, a shiny body only hides the knackered engine, it doesnt make the car go... get my drift?

Edit.... and for a weeks work, this is BRILLIANT!
Last edited by: swiss tony on Sun 28 Feb 10 at 21:17
 Old site - rtj70
I think those behind this had it up and running in a day! We've just been using it for a week and some tweaks to how it looks like creating new sub-forums and giving mods a fairy wand. So even more remarkable (not the wands mind).

Sorry I overlooked your point. Welcome here by the way. It's a lot more fun and less stressful all round here.
 Old site - teabelly
HJ was never that fond of the backroom I don't think. The gripe he had was that everyone just bunked off in there and never clicked on any advertising/links to earn money! 2-3 weeks downtime is an eternity in cyberspace.

The switch seemed rather sudden as though there was a bit of a spat and the new team was hastily drafted in to write a forum. There is tons of forum software out there that could have been munged to fit and most of it would work better than whats up there now.

If they had any sense they would have gone for vbulletin which allows subscriptions so they could have had people choose to pay money to avoid all the advertising.
 Old site - Fursty Ferret
To be honest, the constant pop-ups on HJ were beginning to drive me insane, even with a pop-up blocker. Normal ads I don't mind at all, and I occasionally click on interesting Google Ads.

The other thing was the constant fear on HJ of possibly naming and shaming (hopefully not an issue here!) and the fact that even mild language was censored as offensive.

Test: dammit.
Edit: Cool.
 Old site - Crankcase
Wouldn't find it surprising if HJ abandons the forum entirely in fact, if it wasn't a moneyspinner.

The Alexa ratings over the past few days for HJ have been interesting though.

Old site - Focusless
>> The Alexa ratings over the past few days for HJ have been interesting though.

www.alexa.com/siteinfo/honestjohn.co.uk
 Old site - Crankcase
Thanks Focus - thought it had been linked before so didn't want to repeat it, but see now it wasn't in this thread.
 Old site - Netsur
Lack of a forum for the last seven days has clearly has a effect on traffic to the site.
 Old site - midlifecrisis
I'll probably go back and use it now and again. I'l wait to see how the backroom develops. However, the HJ shortcut on my toolbar has been replaced by something else! ;)
 Old site - Iffy
...However, the HJ shortcut on my toolbar has been replaced by something else! ;)....

This site is rapidly replacing HJ in my 'most visited' in Firefox.
 Old site - Dog
>>> things i see on the old site
1/ it was never intended to return the old style but nobody including honest john had the balls to stand up like a man and admit it <<<

bellboy me ole Son - you must source your Scrying ball from the same place as moi.
I be reckoning you've summed it up - in a nutshell.
Latest Forum Posts