Non-motoring > Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back Miscellaneous
Thread Author: oilrag Replies: 32

Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - oilrag
They say `never go back` don`t they?

Perhaps go back soon rather than later would be preferable - what with the vernier adjustments going on in the infrastructure that cause increasing dissonance with formed internal associations.

You might think at this point that the current falling off the fruit cake - in the shop you walked past yesterday might not matter. Might not register that is - with the pre formed snapshot taken by the mind the day before.

Never mind that the mind its self is like a plate spinning on a magicians pole - with it`s own struggle to hold onto reality augmented and subsumed by seratonin - depending on whether you had a satsuma or not for breakfast.

So he went back. (for this is a true story about him) To Monte Cassino of all places, on a push bike too (pedals and all that) for he was a cyclist.

A long trip and it had been planned for many a year, slipping to decades, but left far two late.
No one there knew him as he went around the village in which he had been stationed in WW2.

Because life`s vernier screw had been turning and although only a current fell off a cake the day after his departure - in the next 35 years it was tabula rasa - and a complete re write of all the software and most of the hardware in the village.

He knew no one and the very streets had seemed to change, as the internal plate-on-stick tried hard to come up with a match to yesteryear`s internal snap shot.

Too late, Far too late. So he told me and he was wizened by age, at the point of the telling and held his neck at an odd angle following a severe `dive over the bars` two hundred yards from his house - on that very return from the venture.

oilrag

Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - teabelly
What on earth was in your breakfast this morning????

For a less hallucinatory view of time I'd recommend 'The power of now' by Eckhart Tolle :-)
 Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - CGNorwich
Pretentious gobbledegook or parody?
 Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - Zero
To precis.

Things change with time, dont go back it wont be the same, merda dura.
"Pretentious gobbledegook or parody? "

An experiment really, CG. In particular whether `spoilers` in well meaning threads are something I want to live with, or be able to do something about in the near future.

I`m doing a `weekend tour` on this forum, to see what it`s like.

There`s goodwill to others intended in what I write. Just hoping for a little amusement for others though a giving a small amount of personal time and effort.

Perhaps if the content is not appreciated - at least the effort?

All the best,

oilrag

Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - Bellboy
Perhaps if the content is not appreciated - at least the effort?
>>>>
>>>>>>>>>fine by me me old fruitcake :-)
your among like minded nutters over here
none of that
changing of headers
being talked down to
treat like something the cat brought in
or being given sanctimoniousk drivel from a crony who doesnt always give correct answers even though its her job
no what i mean ????????
squire
 Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - Iffy
...I`m doing a `weekend tour` on this forum, to see what it`s like...

Oily,

You know already know what it's like.

I think we are all pleased to see you, but I'm not the least bit interested in the 'should I stay or should I go?' angst.

If you like it here, stay,

If you don't, go.

That's how the rest of us work.

Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - CGNorwich
Very gracious of you, I'm sure to undertake a weekend tour to these benighted regions for our amusement. However your post is complete and utter tosh and to let you believe it is anything else would be unkind.
You`re welcome CG ;-)
>> I`m doing a `weekend tour` on this forum, to see what it`s like.

Oily, Its a delight and pleasure to have you back on here, the forum is richer for your presence, and lacking in your absence.

However, we are not an adoring audience to be held to ransom or soothe your fevered brow when voluminous critical aclaim or swooning at your performance is not forthcoming.

You know what its like here, and in my own blunt way I suppose its "take it or leave it", but I hope its the former.
No one wants adoration Zero. certainly not me, It`s only the internet and at best, a little light amusement - where ever you choose to post or read.

I will post how I see fit though, wherever I want on the internet - (and come and go as I please for that matter) and if anyone doesn`t like that they can `lump it` as we say in Yorkshire.

;-)

Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - Armel Coussine
>> we are not an adoring audience to be held to ransom or soothe your fevered brow when voluminous critical aclaim or swooning at your performance is not forthcoming.

Hehheh, tell me about it...

What Zero means is that we are a bunch of snorting, grunting, squealing swine most of whom wouldn't recognise a pearl even if it was smiling evilly, sharpening a long knife and licking its lips hungrily. I can only agree.
 Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - Cliff Pope
>>
>> I`m doing a `weekend tour` on this forum, to see what it`s like.
>>
>> >>
>>

But as you yourself have just pointed out, there is no going back, even if you don't like it here.

Once you have crossed over, everything changes. The other side would not be the same, but you too will be changed. You can never discover how much of the change is you, how much is what you imagine you are looking at.

You are doomed to spending your whole life doing "weekend tours", but whatever you are looking for, you will never find. It is always just beyond the next hill.

But a hearty welcome anyway, whoever you may be :)
 Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - Focusless
>> Pretentious gobbledegook or parody?

'Variety is the spice of life'
 Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - Ted

Time flies like an arrow....................fruit flies like a banana !

Ted
ifithelps.

I`m not referring to `coming and going` but i only have so much time for the `internet` and while I`m posting here, I`m not posting elsewhere.

I thought i would have a weekend `push` on here - as I`m doing now.

I might change my nick at some future point - but i won`t be leaving unless I`m booted off ;-)

Talking about Nick`s - what`s the best do you think. Same nick? Or different Nick, different forum?

Any suggestions for a good nick? or stick with current? Different nick different content - as in psychlogically being influenced by it.

`Pragmatic Pete` for example... (sorry if that really exists)

;-)

Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - sherlock47
`Pragmatic Pete` for example... (sorry if that really exists)

I think that it should belong to me!

p
 Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - Iffy
...but i won`t be leaving...

Pleased to hear it.

A general note.
Regarding the obscure allusions in my title post, (In most of my posts) by the way. I`m always minded about how far you can actually take that, before the allusion is so obscure that in effect it has become a private language.

But where do you draw a line?

An example being the `software and hardware` comment - which was intended to convey `people and street infrastructure.

It is a true story by the way. Of a bloke known to me who went back to Italy, to his wartime base, which was in a village near Monte Cassino.

>> It is a true story by the way. Of a bloke known to me who
>> went back to Italy, to his wartime base, which was in a village near Monte
>> Cassino.

There is of course another way to look at the vernier screw of time. Your returning wartime hero should not have gone back to recapture the times he left. Rather to go back and see the good his efforts wrought. The life, the young, the old, the freedom. All of which would never have been there had he not done his piece.

Surely that is a good enough reason to go back. Not the past, but see the results and the bright future.
 Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - sooty123
So your typing messeges to see how much you can confuse people and how few people can understand you? Why not just mash the keypad instead?
i`m not going to pick you up on that Sooty - as it seems you really believe it.

Wishing you well in your own endeavours, on the forum

oilrag
Last edited by: oilrag on Sun 20 Jun 10 at 15:02
 Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - -
Well my question in a previous is thread is answered, the real Oily is back and glad i am for it, good to see you in prose old chap, as usual i haven't got a blind clue what you're talking about but that goes for lots of postings here, including mine.

I don't have wartime places to revisit as a conquering hero or anything so grand, the times i've revisited places i loved lost to me because we moved on have usually been disappointing visitations.
So many others have moved on too, those that haven't have changed, they don't welcome reminders of the past, maybe envious of one's mobility or sneering at ones loss of belonging.

Vernier screw might be the wrong term, for Vernier screws can turn both ways, maybe we need a ratchet that can't go back.

"Your returning wartime hero should not have gone back to recapture the times he left"

I agree Zero.

It was a war story told in passing, while being engaged in something else. So there was no time for depth on the matter. it seemed though, that he had been entirely people oriented - and despite going to all the houses of people he knew, everyone had moved on.

Quite a trip on a pedal bike though..

It makes you wonder also, whether he actually walked past people and not recognized them.

Here, in my home town, where I grew up, I`m sure the people I knew as a twenty year old are still here - but passing like ships in the night due to changes in appearance.

At least, that`s what i like to think - but maybe they actually did escape to somewhere better..

edit - if time

Hi GB, I like that about the vernier screw and the ratchet.

mmmm `Time`s Ratchet` might think about that ;-)
Last edited by: oilrag on Sun 20 Jun 10 at 15:28
 Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - sooty123
>> i`m not going to pick you up on that Sooty - as it seems you
>> really believe it.
>>
>> Wishing you well in your own endeavours, on the forum
>>
>> oilrag
>>

I do otherwise I wouldn't have wrote it, anyway it seems plenty others think otherwise, and it's all clearly miles over my head, so the same good luck to you.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 20 Jun 10 at 15:40
Wishing you well, Sooty. I have a history of being difficult to understand (it`s not you) and no harm in you picking me up on it ;-)
 Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - AnotherJohnH
>> Here, in my home town, where I grew up, I`m sure the people I knew as a twenty year old are still here -
>> but passing like ships in the night due to changes in appearance.

my experience at Dad's funeral in the village I grew up in and left nearly 30 years ago, was that a lot of the people from my youth are still there - and some of them claimed to still recognise me, with a cry of "you haven't changed at all!"

But that's utter tosh, as I didn't have a moustache then... and now weigh several stones more.

The village too is barely recogniseable.
 Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - FotheringtonTomas
My Uncle was there, too. It was unpleasant, from the little but lots I've heard. I do not know whether he re-visited.
I once `went back` with my Father, to Malta. That was in around 86, when he was aged 70yrs.
I had a week, absorbing it all - he had been there in the RAF in the worst of things and was a Corporal Fitter, in charge of one of the sandbagged Spitfire pens, out on the runway.

Of course, we had been told the stories - the 500lb bomb that fell nearby and bullets skimming along the runway, from straffing planes. He was once facing a pilot in the cockpit - on the starter battery and saw the pilot freeze with fear. Whipping round he saw one of our own crash land and go straight into a petrol tanker.

It was with all that in mind as we began the curve over the harbour - and lined up for the runway.
(no wonder he went a little deaf in his later years, he`d heard every bomb, shell. bullet and so on being fired in that place)

And in the course of time on that trip, we ended up at The Cliff.

Ever since being a tot he`d told us how he was the only one in the squadron who dared to dive off a certain cliff, into the Med. (He`d also `swum a mile` as a teenager here in Yorkshire and of course when I was that age I had to go one better - three miles nearly killed me in the city baths - but of course I never told him that part)

Anyway, there was a hint of sporting competition between us - but of course it was one sided as he probably could have done a lot better if he had known in the future his teenage son may take him on regarding his good natured bragging.

I`m 36 though at this point, together on Malta and we are in a hired Mini heading for the cliff - of childhood stories.

I think we were both relieved ( me more than him, I`m sure) that a little concrete walkway had been set into the base of this 40ft or so cliff, extending out and making any dive impossible. Either that, or he told a lie about the location in order to not put me at risk... i thought about that possibility only recently.

Later, we stood outside the old airbase gates and he gave a broad sweep of his arm over the downhill slope. "Four Luftwaffe fighter came over here in formation once - low level as they knew we had no ammunition spare to respond.

I`m glad I went with him and i think we both got something special out of that.
Last edited by: oilrag on Tue 22 Jun 10 at 15:14
 Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - FocalPoint
You HAVE been busy these last few days, oilrag! :-)

Here, there and... er...

Nice to see you, though. And on a weekday as well.
 Time turns the `vernier screw` never go back - commerdriver
Nice story Oilrag, easy to forget on a holiday to Malta just what the occupants and the forces stationed there, including my great uncle, went through.
Do stay around even your wilder thoughts are worth a read.
Cheers Guy`s. I will stick around, but I`m on several other forums too doing different things.

Thanks for the `re- induction` inc, comments, critical, personal and also supportive, in this thread ;-)

Points noted!
Latest Forum Posts