Non-motoring > Help with manchester trams. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 10

Help with manchester trams. - sooty123
Next sunday I'm going to old trafford cricket ground travelling in from the stockport area. Anyone know the best way of getting there? I'm thinking of either parking near the ground or parking at a metro station and getting the tram in. Anyone with any ideas?
 Help with manchester trams. - RattleandSmoke
I live quite near the cricket ground, I know public transport inside out and I know Stockport really well.

The quickest way might be to get a train from Stockport to Picciddily then get a tram from Piccidilly to Old Trafford. The tram stop is next to the cricket ground. Parking near the cricket ground is a little dodgy. Kings Road is probably the safest place to park.

The cricket ground has parking too but it might be expensive.

I don't know which part of Stockport you live in either so it depends on that too.

If you look at Google maps you will see Kings Road is very close to the ground and its a big wide road so parking is safe and very easy. It will be anything from 5 to 15 minute walk depending on how near you can get a space.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sun 20 Jun 10 at 17:41
 Help with manchester trams. - Ted
I agree, all passenger trains stop at Stockport due to an ancient covenant....so they're very frequent.
Metro will drop you at the ground.
If you're aged, like me, it will all cost zilch.

Enjoy the match.

Ted
Thanks for that, are there many tram stops in stockport, I tried the tram website but it doesn't seem user friendly. Is kings road free ie a residential road?
 Help with manchester trams. - rtj70
There are no tram stops in Stockport. There is the main train station and also one in Heaton Chapel. But trains will be more frequent from the main station but you would pay parking there.

Where are you actually coming from?
There are no tram stops at all in Stockport and that won't be changing for at least another five years or more.

You will need to get a train from Stockport to Picciddily but the trains are every ten minutes and it only takes ten minutes to get into the city centre as the line is a branch of the west coast mainline which goes to London.

From Picciddily you will then get a tram to Old Trafford and the cricket ground is just next to the tram stop.

From memory assuming you make the journey after 9:30 the train will cost about £2.60 return and the tram will cost £2.40 return.

The train and metrolink are different systems but you might be able to get a GMPTE tram and day pass for about £6.

Have a look here www.gmpte.gov.uk

Kings Road is just a very long residential road with 1930's semis and is of slight historical importance as its the road Morrissey was bought up on. There are no parking resirictions on it at all and it is very wide so you can safely park on it.

You will probably want to park on the bit between the round about (the quadrant) and Edge Lane as that bit is wider, on the bit between the roundabout and Seymour Grove there pay be parking restrictions and it gets busy on match days. That area is also a little bit more dodgy.
 Help with manchester trams. - MD
>> Kings Road is just a very long residential road with 1930's semis and is of slight historical importance as its the road Morrissey was bought up on.

Morrisey? Historical Impotence.

Laugh.......................I nearly paid me Pole (sic) tax.
Love or hate him he has many millions of fans worldwide and many references in his long lyrics have been made to the area around Kings Road. A lot of very famous lyrics were written in that bed room.
I'm not from the local area, just a weekend in the area. One night in stockport then the next day watching the cricket. Sounds it might just be easier and cheaper to drive up to kings road and park up. Thanks all.
If you're in Stockport but centre then the journey couldn't be easier by public transport but if you're staying in the suburbs of Stockport but then driving will be a lot easier. Depending on which motorway junction of the M60 you're near you can easily drive it in 15-20 minutes.

There are also many car parks next to the cricket ground but you have to pay, I think its about £5 :).

Don't park in B&Q as you will probably get clamped.
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Mon 21 Jun 10 at 22:14
never been before to stockport before but I think it's suburbs.
Latest Forum Posts