Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 12

Feeling a little horse boy ? - R.P.
tinyurl.com/36sy8qc

Links to a Streetview.
 Feeling a little horse boy ? - henry k
Do you know him?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east_orkney_and_shetland/10401345.stm
 Feeling a little horse boy ? - L'escargot
I think he may be the grandson of Ras Prince "I gotta horse" Monolulu. tinyurl.com/yfqvtlm
 Feeling a little horse boy ? - Ted

I met the great man at Brighton races in the mid to late fifties. I was on holiday with me mum and a lady colleague. He gave me a tip, Diplomatic bag to win and mum put 6 old pence on for me....it won !
I probably got about 2 bob. I suppose someone with the racing equivalent of Wisden could tell me the exact date !
I recall he looked very tall to me and as I had no experience of black people, I was somewhat frightened
Stayed at the Cricketer's Arms in town and a mad woman spat in me
chips in a cafe !

Strange....what sticks in your mind, 50 odd years later !

tED
 Feeling a little horse boy ? - Armel Coussine
What a small world it s Ted (or tED) as you sign yourself). I worked briefly as a waiter between school and university, in a restaurant - roughish of course but genteelish too, with tablecloths - across the road from Bath railway station.

On the day of Bath races a mass of bookies and the like would rush out of the station and into the Dorchester (that was its name) for tea and elevenses or early lunch. Prince Monolulu was among them, feathers already in place. It wasn't him, but a bookie I think, who gave me a tip on a horse running somewhere else that day. The restaurant's owner, a Mr Peters, was a keen punter with his own bookie on the phone (I think he drank with him in the station hotel too). He put half a crown each way on the sure thing for me as well as considerably more for himself. I won about £2.15 and bought my long-suffering parents half a dozen cheap but elegant Belgian cut-glass sherry glasses. The last one was trashed by some nipper a year or two back in our house...

Ruins you for gambling, that sort of thing. Inside trading is so much more restful.
 Feeling a little horse boy ? - Focusless
Not wanting to hijack the thread but another person with a weird head was Frank Sidebottom, whose creator, Chris Sievey, sadly died at the weekend. Mark Radcliffe who knew him well did quite a moving eulogy on his Radio 2 show on Monday evening - it's on iPlayer, starts at about 19:50.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sspcj

More on Frank: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Sidebottom
 Feeling a little horse boy ? - BiggerBadderDave
It's terrible news about Chris Sievey, especially his circumstances towards the end of his life.

Remember Little Frank?
There's been an appeal locally for help towards his funeral.
Last news I listened to said about £8K so far.
Balance will go to Cancer Charity....I don't think it will stop at that amount .

Ted
 Feeling a little horse boy ? - R.P.
Up to 13k according to Wickipedia - very sad end.....
 Feeling a little horse boy ? - Zero
13k so far
 Feeling a little horse boy ? - Focusless
From Frank's Fantastic Funeral Facebook group page:
www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=132514523438850&v=app_2392950137

The distressing news came out this morning that Chris Sievey would have a pauper's funeral. His financial affairs when he died mean that his family were struggling to do him and his memory the justice it deserves.

Jon Ronson a long time collaborator of Chris sievey's asked the family if an appeal could be set up to help them in this hour of need. Graciously Paula Chris's ex wife and his eldest son Stirling have given their permission to allow the appeal to begin

Paypal Donations can be sent to:

jonelle1929@gmail.com

If you do not have a paypal acount visit

www.radiotimperley.com/

where you can make credit and debit card donations

All Donations will be acknowledged
 Feeling a little horse boy ? - BiggerBadderDave
It was a bizarre act he had. About the same time there was another guy doing the same rounds who had an equally weird act, called Ted Chippington. He was a comic who told really rubbish jokes with a deadpan delivery, sometimes reading from crumpled notes and was always ruthlessly heckled. I saw him in The Boardwalk 2 in Manchester a few times, he was Supporting Fuzzbox but had started out supporting The Fall. He was a bag of nerves, stammering, and fluffing lines but had a massive cult following. Most of his jokes started with "I was walking down the road and a bloke came up to me"

I can't think about him without thinking about Frank Sidebottom for some reason. Happy times.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCUNCyaPoRI&feature=related

Ted
Latest Forum Posts