Non-motoring > DVD rental / Streaming Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dieselboy Replies: 25

DVD rental / Streaming - Dieselboy
Now then.

For the last few years my bank account has included a Lovefilm subscription. Yesterday I received an email advising this feature is being withdrawn.

So, I need to find a replacement.

Our digibox thing in our front room has Netflix available on it, and I suppose I could connect up the tablet via HDMI to our telly in the back room for the same provider, but....

Are there any other providers who are better, cheaper. More reliable etc?

Ta!
 DVD rental / Streaming - CGNorwich
Choice is really Lovefilm (Amazon) or Netflix. Amazon is better for films but my choice would be Netflix since they have the better choice of TV productions like "House of Cards'.

DVD rental / Streaming - Crankcase
The choice between Lovefilm and Netflix is well rehearsed - I'm interested in an email that says Lovefilm is being withdrawn?

They recently changed the name and it's all part of Amazon now, but existing subs carry on with the same films to stream, the same DVDs to rent and the same subscription, which has been fixed at the existing price for the next two years.

What did the email say?

I suspect that the OP is referring to the withdrawal of the free Lovefilm subscription provided by his bank as part of the benefits package.
Ah, I see; in my ignorance I didn't know such offers were available. Thanks, assuming that's the answer.

I have to say that I have both services; the "new" Amazon streaming experience is utter pants compared with the old Lovefilm streaming experience, at least on an iPad. Very disappointing.

But we do use the DVD rental - usually watch one per weekend and that works well for us so am inclined to continue. (Mind you, our latest "watch all the oscar winners" idea backfired when Ben Hur turned up this week and it's nearly four blinking hours on two blu-rays. Lord above. And to be honest, I found it very tedious.)
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 10 Jun 14 at 09:00
 DVD rental / Streaming - Ambo
The only problem with my long-running Lovefilm service is that it is slightly harder to access after re-occupation by Amazon but there is a curiosity - the sub of is now debited as two small sums with the same total. The Prime service would cost the same over a year but I am waiting for Amazon's new little streamer to appear, as it already has in America. I know there is already a set-top box but my set-top is already crammed.
Thank you all.

Yes, the Lovefilm subscription was part of my Natwest Select Silver account, along with various other 'benefits'. They are removing the subscription, making the account pretty useless so I've just been in to the branch to downgrade my account to a non fee paying - that was a challenge!

I don't have much love for Amazon so if Netflix is the only alternative I suppose we'll give that a whirl.

Thanks!

DVD rental / Streaming - Stuartli
I also have a Lovefilm package, but always understood that Netflix offers a much greater choice.

Have you thought of the (Sky) NowTV box and the means to see Sky films for a modest monthly subscription:

www.nowtv.com/

or the FilmOn apps for phone or tablets (free viewing) or, no jokes now, the Tesco Clubcard TV app (basically Blinkbox) for a more basic choice?

www.clubcardtv.com/
 DVD rental / Streaming - Boxsterboy
My kids put me onto an app called Cartoon Networks that enabled streaming of many films completely free. I couldn't work out how it could be legal, and low and behold there is now a message saying they are closed. "Forever". Oh well, it was good while it lasted!

My film watching is too sporadic/intermittent to be bothering with a monthly subscription, be it Sky Movies or a streaming service. No spare time!
Hmm, a NowTV box would need to serve two televisions, is this possible?
Having now read the link properly I can see the answer is yes!
 DVD rental / Streaming - rtj70
For those wanting to watch Netflix on a HDMI equipped TV that is not 'smart' and have a Netflix app, then the Google Chromecast is a cheap option.
>>>always understood that Netflix offers a much greater choice.

I always understood the reverse, especially as regards the foreign, old and pre-talkies films we like.

It is only films and TV series that interest us, not games, sports, news -via streamers-etc.
>> I always understood the reverse, especially as regards the foreign, old and pre-talkies films we like.

Lovefilm have far more movies as DVDs or Bluray disks. But films available for streaming on the renamed Amazon Prime Instant Video service is not great IMO. I got the Prime free month to try it out (and get some things delivered quickly for free). I wasn't impressed.

EDIT: Although thinking about it, is there a difference between Amazon Prime Instant Video and Amazon Instant Video? I suspect there is....
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 10 Jun 14 at 16:04

>> EDIT: Although thinking about it, is there a difference between Amazon Prime Instant Video and
>> Amazon Instant Video? I suspect there is....

Yes - and it's the most confusing naming ever. It means that you can search the whole Amazon catalogue, but some things you can only actually watch if you have Prime and you have to filter them out yourself if you don't, or press play and be told you need to pay.

It's horrid. They really should have named things differently and sorted the search engines.

There are lot more movies to stream on Netflix in the UK (about eight thousand as opposed to three thousand at the last check I made).

If you use one of the various techniques easily available that get you access to the American version of both these services, then the world opens up and you get about a trillion things to watch instead of just six drippy movies and a cartoon, but you are breaking terms and conditions if you do so, should you worry.
 DVD rental / Streaming - Stuartli
>>There are lot more movies to stream on Netflix in the UK (about eight thousand as opposed to three thousand at the last check I made).>>

So it would appear I was correct.
Netflix now actually commissions new series as well as simply buying in content. I think Amazon will do the same - I seem to remember that a new series of Ripper Street is being funded 50/50 by BBC and Amazon.

I suspect view on demand streamed video is the future as far as TV drama is concerned.
 DVD rental / Streaming - Roger.
,,,,,,,,,,,,.but how many of the thousands are worth watching?
Good point. Two, and I've seen them both.

There is a lot of stuff of which you will not have heard, but still enough of interest for me to continue.

I've enjoyed the Netflix only series Lilyhammer, for example, as well as House of Cards. I can take or leave Vikings, on the other hand.

I ended up using Netflix for a bit to watch some of the excellent series Breaking Bad. I'd got hold of the early series but not the last one or two.... so tried the free trial. And Netflix works well. There's a fair bit I'd watch on there I think but the combination of what was Lovefilm and Netflix still leaves lots of films you cannot stream from either.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 10 Jun 14 at 18:53
I so hated Breaking Bad. Tried three times to get through the first episode and failed. Just awful nonsense for me.
If I stick with AppleTV, will the subscription be to pay for all it carries or is Netflix separate for this purpose? In either case, what does it cost per annum?
If you use AppleTV for Netflix, it just asks you to log in to your account at Netflix, so you need to have a valid sub there. Same with iTunes. The other things it does are free. There's no sub for the box itself, it's a straight purchase.

The annual Netflix sub is currently £6 (for existing customers) or £7 (for new) a month; you can sign up for a month for free to try it if you want.

You probably won't be interested, but it's possible to easily jailbreak certain versions of AppleTV, after which you can do MUCH more with it and get access to MUCH more stuff. I've done that with mine.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 11 Jun 14 at 10:48
Interesting idea, Crankcase. I'll investigate.
 DVD rental / Streaming - Biggles
Has anyone tried out chromecast and if so is it worthwhile?
Chromecast relies on another computer/tablet/phone to tell it what to do. Something like the Roku3 is more versatile and there's lots more media streamers available.

If you want to watch iPlayer, Netflix or one of the supported apps then it works well. And you can stream from a browser window (Chrome) too and there's apps to stream video files locally.

It works and it's £30. But it only streams what it's told to via another device.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 11 Jun 14 at 23:30
Latest Forum Posts