Non-motoring > Acker Bilk Dies Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 30

Acker Bilk Dies - Bromptonaut
Stranger on the Shore no more:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jzx664u5DA

Saw AB perform at Derngate along with the late Humphrey Littleton around 10 yrs ago. Two legends lost.
 Acker Bilk Dies - Skip
Love Stranger on the Shore. RIP
 Acker Bilk Dies - Roger.
Bland pop: made loadsa cash, but a travesty of the stuff he and the band could really play.
I really loved The Paramount Jazz Band's rendition of popular military marches in the trad jazz idiom!
Still around on YouTube.
 Acker Bilk Dies - CGNorwich
Trad jazz as a genre basically had nowhere to go. Repetitive in style the Trad Jazz Revival was rather doomed to extinction from the start. Scorned by jazz enthusiasts and rock music lovers alike it was ultimately a musical dead end.
 Acker Bilk Dies - Roger.
I first saw Acker Bilk and the Paramount Jazz Band, before their real fame, at Nottingham Rhythm Club, held at the Trent Bridge Inn, adjacent to Trent Bridge Cricket ground in, I suppose, the very late 1950s.
They were a revelation and none of we trad jazz fans had heard anything like it!
I can still see them, in my mind's eye, quaffing pints and smoking like chimneys and making the joint jump!
 Acker Bilk Dies - rtj70
My mother used to come out with a phrase along the lines (and still will).... 'they're like Acker Bilk'.

I had no idea what she meant! And still don't Just listened to the linked track and know it of course. So at least I know who she referred too.

I will now have to ask what she actually meant! After decades of thinking it a strange saying.
 Acker Bilk Dies - Alastairw
Thought he died years ago.
 Acker Bilk Dies - John Boy
I thought jazz sounded like people banging saucepans with spoons until I heard "Creole Jazz".

www.youtube.com/watch?v=55y9sofx_II

I remember it as the first record I bought, but I notice now that it was a B side. Not long after I heard his recording of "Petite Fleur" and that led me on to Sidney Bechet and a lifetime's interest in music. Thankyou, Acker Bilk.
 Acker Bilk Dies - Harleyman
A much more accomplished musician than his television persona suggested. Always enjoyed his music, particularly his cover of "Fool on the Hill".
 Acker Bilk Dies - Armel Coussine
He wasn't really my thing, but he played jazz when people still liked it. I really liked modernists, but Humphrey Lyttelton and good old country jug-band Acker were agreeable and a way into the real thing.
 Acker Bilk Dies - Zero
Stranger on the shore is soporific stuff with little musicality in it. Midnight in Moscow is however a much better effort, but that is probably the pinnacle that you can push trad jazz to. Its far too limited, like folk music. Probably why both attract sandal wearing real ale drinkers in silly clothes
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 2 Nov 14 at 22:52
 Acker Bilk Dies - Roger.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPThJLuJI1c

You had to BE there!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=stG2HnaTeU0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=stG2HnaTeU0
Last edited by: Roger. on Sun 2 Nov 14 at 23:25
 Acker Bilk Dies - Armel Coussine
Banjo plucker's pretty good.
Probably why both attract
>> sandal wearing real ale drinkers in silly clothes
>>

Not that I'm accusing you of it, but I'd sooner be in that sort of company than the up-my-own-backside classical and opera crowd in whose company you have to be careful not to breathe too loudly at the wrong moment.

You didn't actually have to like jazz at all to like Acker Bilk; as with Kenny Lynch and a few other of his contemporaries he had a far more popular appeal.
 Acker Bilk Dies - Crankcase
Nobody did trad jazz better than these folks:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABcNAwytrOY

Always liked "Intro and Outro" . If you recognise all the references you have to be 60+

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DUEAG5eO6c

I believe the phrase "Adolph Hitler on Vibes' NICE! was the inspiration for the Fast Show's unforgettable "Jazz Club"

In the "Canyons of Your Mind' is another good one.
And for anyone who has never seen Jazz Club's "Desolate Shore'

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsQYzpOHpik

MIght make taking Jazz seriously difficult though.

Acker Bilk Dies - Zero
>> Always liked "Intro and Outro" . If you recognise all the references you have
>> to be 60+
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DUEAG5eO6c
>>
>> I believe the phrase "Adolph Hitler on Vibes' NICE! was the inspiration for the Fast
>> Show's unforgettable "Jazz Club"
>>
>>
>> In the "Canyons of Your Mind' is another good one.

To follow up, taking the rise out out Jazz factions does not get any better than this. And strangely neither does the jazz get any better than this. I'll defy anyone not to like this music.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzLT6_TQmq8

Nice!
>> >> Always liked "Intro and Outro" . If you recognise all the references you have
>> >> to be 60+

I'm almost ashamed to say I got all those references when I first heard it, perhaps 35 years ago, and I'm not over 60. Only 52, me.

But of course 35 years ago they weren't so dated...

OK - a quick test - who were the Rawlinsons on trombone?
Wasn't that from the radio Rawlinson End?

I had the Sir Henry record. Nice 'n' Tidy, Tidy 'n' Nice.

More or less. Rawlinson End didn't exist when "Intro" was released and the reference to the Rawlinsons was a mystery at the time. Vivian Stanchal went on to develop the character of Henry Rawlinson on the John Peel show
 Acker Bilk Dies - Zero
>> Probably why both attract
>> >> sandal wearing real ale drinkers in silly clothes
>> >>
>>
>> Not that I'm accusing you of it, but I'd sooner be in that sort of
>> company than the up-my-own-backside classical and opera crowd in whose company you have to be
>> careful not to breathe too loudly at the wrong moment.

My musical tastes are very broad and I try to appreciate all music. Indeed I have been to Covent Garden to see some opera, and owing to the fact it has some very quiet moments and is trying to tell a story you could understand why people would get upset if you started jabbering while opening your crisps. Common curtesy at work isn it?

All that noise of slurping foamy beer with bits in it, and chomping on crisps is probably why folk singers stick their fingers in their ears.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 3 Nov 14 at 09:02
 Acker Bilk Dies - Mike Hannon
>>You didn't actually have to like jazz at all to like Acker Bilk; as with Kenny Lynch and a few other of his contemporaries he had a far more popular appeal.<<

For Kenny Lynch read Kenny Ball. I hope!

Like many of us from they parts, Acker was blessed with a Somerset accent that leads people to make remarks like 'his music was better than his stage persona'.
For those unfortunate enough to have been born north and east of Bath, 'Acker' means 'mate'.
In the great days his road manager was none other than Alan John (Adge) Cutler, now dead 40 years but still revered as another man who brought Somerset good-time culture to the outside world.

RIP Acker, Pensford's greatest son.
 Acker Bilk Dies - Zero

>> RIP Acker, Pensford's greatest son.

I'll take back all my disparaging remarks about real ale and jazz in that case
I forgot about Zider

>>
>> My musical tastes are very broad and I try to appreciate all music. Indeed I
>> have been to Covent Garden to see some opera, and owing to the fact it
>> has some very quiet moments and is trying to tell a story you could understand
>> why people would get upset if you started jabbering while opening your crisps. Common curtesy
>> at work isn it?
>>

I quite agree, it irks me just as much at organ recitals; I wasn't actually referring to behavior in the performance itself but the faux-intelligentsia types who wax long and lyrical about how wonderfully somebody interpreted a piece which we've all heard a thousand times before. The sort of people who talk in the manner that Rupert Christiansen writes, but without the latter's depth of knowledge and gentle self-mockery.
 Acker Bilk Dies - Zero
>> Probably why both attract
>> >> sandal wearing real ale drinkers in silly clothes
>> >>
>>
>> Not that I'm accusing you of it, but I'd sooner be in that sort of
>> company than the up-my-own-backside classical and opera crowd in whose company you have to be
>> careful not to breathe too loudly at the wrong moment.

Oh and I forgot, the last time I was at a Jazz club - Pizza Express in Soho to see Shakatak, the bass player was going to come down and clump some people because they were talking during the set.
 Acker Bilk Dies - MD
Kenny Lynch was so up himself. Met him once at the Beck Theatre in Hayes iirc. Wish I hadn't.
An odd remark. Please let us know more.

And I think Zero means Kenny Ball. Kenny Lynch was a popular English singer singer , not a Jazz musician.
>> An odd remark. Please let us know more.
>>
>> And I think Zero means Kenny Ball. Kenny Lynch was a popular English singer singer
>> , not a Jazz musician.
>>

Actually it was my quote not Z's; but you're right, I did indeed mean Kenny Ball. Thanks for spotting it.
Latest Forum Posts