Non-motoring > Scart Leads Miscellaneous
Thread Author: maltrap Replies: 10

Scart Leads - maltrap
Just fitted a Samsung 40" TV to the wall, the problem is the scart outlet comes out of the back of the set (the others come from the side) There is not enough room to fit a standard scart plug, is there one with a lower profile or a 90 degree adaptor? When connecting a DVD player to a TV does it have to be done via a scart lead ? Thanks in anticipation.
 Scart Leads - Gromit
"When connecting a DVD player to a TV does it have to be done via a scart lead?"

No, Maltrap, you can use any output from the DVD player. Depending on its age, you should also have at least one of a HDMI output or a composite output.

Apologies if I'm stating the bleedin' obvious here, but HDMI is a small rectangular plug like a big USB socket, with triangles missing from the bottom corners. Composite will have either a round yellow video socket (like a TV ariel) and two matching audio sockets, one white, one red. On fancier DVDs there'll be three video sockets (red, green, blue) instead of the single yellow, and the two audio ones.

Any of the above should give you better picture quality than the SCART.

Otherwise, you can also get adaptors that have a SCART socket at the DVD end and composite plugs at the TV end. Maplins, or any decent TV shop, should have them.

Just one thing: on my Nordmende and Samsung TVs, if you have a device connected via SCART, the TV switches automatically switches to that SCART input when you turn on the DVD player (or whatever) on the SCART socket, whereas you have to toggle between the other inputs yourself from the source button on the remote.
 Scart Leads - VxFan
>> if you have a device connected via SCART, the TV switches automatically switches to that SCART input when you turn on the DVD player (or whatever) on the SCART socket, whereas you have to toggle between the other inputs yourself from the source button on the remote.

Used to have to do that with the SkyHD box, but since a software update Sky have now managed auto switching via the HDMI lead just like the SCART lead can do.

Regarding smaller or 90° SCART adapter, I just googled "right angled scart adapter" and loads popped up.

eg

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390955258807
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251592565125
www.nexxia.co.uk/products.asp?s=Audio%20Video%20Cables&c=Scart%20Cables
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 6 Nov 14 at 10:18
 Scart Leads - RattleandSmoke
I would avoid using SCART leads as much as possible on a 40" TV unless you want a crap picture. The signal they carry is 1970's technology (and possibly earlier) it is low resolution. HDMI will give you a far better picture even when using humble DVD.
 Scart Leads - No FM2R
>>When connecting a DVD player to a TV does it have to be done via a scart lead ?

Aside from the obvious restriction if that is the only socket available, then no, you do not.

SCART is not a technology as such. It is simply a connection solution. It was an attempt to simplify connecting stuff together. It is using the same connections, signals and technology as all the other plugs and sockets, excluding the very modern ones such as HDMI.

However, if you look at a SCART plug it has got a gazillion connections. But frequently not all of them are connected in any particular device, nor indeed in a particular cable.

Deficiencies in picture when using SCART compared to say, the yellow RCA video connector are almost always due to the quality of the SCART lead being used - essentially because that same signal is also present on pin 20 of the SCART, RGB are 7,9,11,13,15, red and white audio are 2 and 6, etc. etc.

SCART also covers all teh outputs as well as the inputs.

Clearly as, I think, Rattle said HDMI or similar will give you a better picture. Pretty much the others are all the same - use whichever is convenient, available and that you have the best quality leads for.

p.s. and as Dave says, it carries a 12v signal for switching.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 6 Nov 14 at 11:23
 Scart Leads - maltrap
Thanks everyone, i,m thinking of upgrading to Blueray & using an HDMI lead.
Thanks again.
 Scart Leads - John Boy
LIDL had HDMI leads as a special a few weeks ago and they still had some left yesterday. As far as I can see, they're much, much cheaper than anyone else.
 Scart Leads - VxFan
>> p.s. and as Dave says, it carries a 12v signal for switching.

which can be a PITA if the devices being plugged into don't have a menu to disable it. I remember a DVD recorder I bought from ALDI several years ago had this. I ended up snipping the wire going to pin 8 of the SCART plug because even with the DVD recorder being switched off, the auto switch signal was still present.
 Scart Leads - Robin O'Reliant
I hate Scart leads with a passion. Just breath on the bloomin' things and they partially dislodge.
 Scart Leads - WillDeBeest
...and if they stay put you have to put up with ghost images from crosstalk between the conductors. Or you can pay the earth for a shielded one and find it's so stiff it has to go straight across the wall because it won't flex around anything.

Archaic technology, best left in the past.
 Scart Leads - Zero
SCART was French revenge for the humiliation at the Battle of Waterloo.
Latest Forum Posts