Non-motoring > Kookery Korner Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 42

Kookery Korner - Duncan
How can I stop my bacon curling up whilst it is being cooked?
 Kookery Korner - Manatee
I snip the edge after grilling on one side for a couple of minutes. But you could clamp it in one of those clamshell grills I suppose (George Foreman?)
 Kookery Korner - WillDeBeest
Snipping is the way. The fat and lean parts lose moisture (and hence volume) at different rates.

Better still might be to buy dry-cured bacon, which has far less moisture in it to begin with. That's what's on my griddle this morning, and it isn't curling up.
 Kookery Korner - Runfer D'Hills
Lower the heat, lengthen the cooking time.
 Kookery Korner - Zero
1. you use thicker bacon
2. you use a dry cured bacon so its not so wet
3, you snip little nicks in and along along the fatty edge of the bacon, the curling is caused by the fat shrinking more than the meat.
 Kookery Korner - CGNorwich
Have a kipper instead.
 Kookery Korner - Zero
kippers kurl
 Kookery Korner - R.P.
What Zero says...
 Kookery Korner - Zero
Sometimes tho, you want kurly bacon. Curly bacon fits better in rolls for example. And in a fry up, the curled up bacon has perfect pockets for the beans to sit in.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 16 Nov 14 at 09:36
 Kookery Korner - Manatee
It's boil in the bag kippers or grilled spam then for the kurlphobic.
 Kookery Korner - Cliff Pope
Are we talking about frying or grilling?

If frying, cook it a bit on one side then turn over. Curls develop at the hot-spots.

If grilling, turn down the heat. Intense heat causes extreme curling.

The same with kippers. Give a bit of intense heat to melt the butter and seal the surface, then turn down.
 Kookery Korner - Runfer D'Hills
Muesli is much less problematic.
Muesli is for rabbits, bacon is for boys, but men eat kippers.
Grill kippers?

You put them head end down in a a tall jug of hot water, cover and leave for a few minutes until heated through.
 Kookery Korner - Zero
>> Grill kippers?
>>
>> You put them head end down in a a tall jug of hot water, cover
>> and leave for a few minutes until heated through.

boiled kippers? all you end up with is wet fish. Man did not invent fishing and fire to boil kippers, why drag a fish from water only to put it back in again!

Grilled, every time, with lashings of butter, Top side first, skin side second so it goes dry and lifts off the flesh.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 16 Nov 14 at 10:33
You don't destroy the results of the smoker's craft by cremating the product under an electric grill. Kippers don't need cooking they just need warming through. The traditional jugging method achieves this. Try it and you will be surprised at how moist and tasty they are compared with the results of your incineration.
 Kookery Korner - Zero
>> You don't destroy the results of the smoker's craft by cremating the product under an
>> electric grill. Kippers don't need cooking they just need warming through. The traditional jugging method
>> achieves this. Try it and you will be surprised at how moist and tasty they
>> are compared with the results of your incineration.

I have, they suck. All you do is wash away the results of the smokers craft.
>>
>> Grilled, every time, with lashings of butter, Top side first, skin side second so it
>> goes dry and lifts off the flesh.
>>

Absolutely - how would you get that lovely hot crispy toasty taste by dunking it in water?
How would you smell the delicious wafts of sizzling hot kipper from a bag of oily water?

Like trying to make toast by dunking bread in a kettle.
 Kookery Korner - Duncan
I only turned my back for a minute and there are 11 replies. It just shows what you think about most of the time!

>> Are we talking about frying or grilling?
>>
>> If frying, cook it a bit on one side then turn over. Curls develop at
>> the hot-spots.
>>
>> If grilling, turn down the heat. Intense heat causes extreme curling.

Well, micro-waving actually. I did think about sandwiching the rashers between a couple of Pyrex plats, the stop them curling.

I notice that the tea bar at Cowey Sale snip the crackling edge of the rasher, presumably to stop it curling.
 Kookery Korner - Zero

>> I notice that the tea bar at Cowey Sale snip the crackling edge of the
>> rasher, presumably to stop it curling.

Been banned from spoons again?
 Kookery Korner - BiggerBadderDave
Curled bacon creates a vessel to drop in a spoon of beans which then doesn't ooze out of the sandwich. Or 'butty' as we Mancs say. A bacon butty is a tasty alliteration.
 Kookery Korner - bathtub tom
Microwave bacon?

You'll get yourself banned from here doing things like that.
 Kookery Korner - Manatee
A tip he picked up from the 'chef' at 'Spoons?

I have tried microwaving bacon - it doesn't work well IMO. A very fine line between uncooked and vulcanised, and no browning/Maillard reaction.
 Kookery Korner - Duncan
>>
>> >> I notice that the tea bar at Cowey Sale snip the crackling edge of
>> the
>> >> rasher, presumably to stop it curling.
>>
>> Been banned from spoons again?
>>

I bet it was you that grassed me up!
 Kookery Korner - Clk Sec
>>How can I stop my bacon curling up

We have the same problem with a rather attractive rug in our hall. It tries to trip us up by slightly curling at the edges.
I don't suppose microwaving would help that either.
 Kookery Korner - Clk Sec
I had thought about it...
 Kookery Korner - Ambo
>>Grill kippers?

>>You put them head end down in a a tall jug of hot water, cover and leave for a few minutes until heated through

Finally, sprinkle on a teaspoon of gin to cut through the oil (part of my professional training by an old planter)
Clarissa Dickson Wright makes no mention of the gin - she probably drank it.

www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/clarissa-dickson-wright-and-jennifer-paterson/jugged-kippers.html

Kookery Korner - legacylad
Sunday morning nosh.
Forget bacon. Blueberry pancakes with pure Vermont maple syrup. It's the future.
And a bucket of freshly made mimosa to wash away last nights curry
 Kookery Korner - Clk Sec
Ah! Very fond memories of hotcakes and lashings of maple syrup, with a couple of rashers of bacon on the side.

You need a mortgage to buy maple syrup in this country.
I've already got one. That's why we don't have maple syrup very often.
 Kookery Korner - Zero
>> Ah! Very fond memories of hotcakes and lashings of maple syrup, with a couple of
>> rashers of bacon on the side.
>>
>> You need a mortgage to buy maple syrup in this country.

Kookaburras, at 10 squids a litre is no more expensive than Prosecco, and goes considerably further.

Mind I don't have a mortgage.
 Kookery Korner - Zero
>> Sunday morning nosh.
>> Forget bacon.

Yes, don't blame you, the yanks have absolutely no idea what bacon, real bacon is.

They can't do sausages either.
 Kookery Korner - sooty123

>> Yes, don't blame you, the yanks have absolutely no idea what bacon, real bacon is.
>>
>>
>>
>

I agree, God awful stuff there, greasy, over cooked, thin little strips.
 Kookery Korner - Harleyman
Never buy translucent bacon. If you can see daylight through it, it ain't fit for human consumption; though I suppose it would be fine for Americans.
 Kookery Korner - Roger.
Our butcher does home dry cured bacon and very nice it is, too.

It can be a bit chewy due to the lack of fat and moisture though.

OTH - I do like streaky bacon, both green & smoked and SWMBO lets me buy some of ALDI's occasionally!
Very thin streaky bacon has its place too. Fry it very gently till almost all the fat has melted out and what's left is super-crisp. Then place it very gently on top of a waffle or two and top with maple syrup (mortgage permitting). The touch of a knife will crumble the bacon into the recesses of the waffle and you get a perfect crisp-soft-sweet-salty-meaty mouthful.
 Kookery Korner - Zero
>> Very thin streaky bacon has its place too.

Indeed it does, rolled in suet pastry with onions to make a Bacon Pudding.

Mmm, yeah! Will have to try that one.
 Kookery Korner - Pat
No there's the class difference in our upbringing Z:)

Ours was just the same but without the bacon, and called onion pudding. Wrapped in a rag and boiled all afternoon (leccy was cheap then), Served with butter melted over it and the perfect meal after a days potato picking in December!

My Mum never did show me how she made it, just said 'you go out to work, I'll do the cooking' and I still prefer it that way today!

Pat
 Kookery Korner - MD
>> They can't do sausages either.
>>
They can't do War very well, but that doesn't stop them trying!
 Kookery Korner - legacylad
My US friend, who spent a year in the UK, still misses our dry cured bacon. Their bacon ' on the side' is just a joke.
I am sure they think that dry cured is a successful result from attending Alcoholics Anonymous
Latest Forum Posts