Non-motoring > Silly question time coffee maker Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 4

Silly question time coffee maker - BobbyG
I have a Dualit coffee machine like this
www.dualit.com/products/espressivo-coffee-machine

Every Sunday I use it to make some nice coffee and every time, I scratch my head as to how it works.

You have the long handle filter holder that you have a metal filter sits in it and in this you put your coffee. You then put the filter holder under the machine holder and twist it till it locks into place.

You switch it on and water soaks through the filter and comes through the little black lips that you can see on the machine.

However the metal filter that holds the coffee does not have any holes in it and so how does the water soak through the coffee and come out the lip directly below? It is an absolute snug fit?

Confused!!
 Silly question time coffee maker - Lygonos
Presumably the espresso machine is pushing the water through at the holy grail 10 bar (150psi) pressure - it'll be squeezing through somewhere.
 Silly question time coffee maker - Lygonos
cupandbrew.com/pages/guide-to-portafilters-and-baskets

Is it perhaps a pressurised portafilter?
 Silly question time coffee maker - BobbyG
looking like a likely candidate!
 Silly question time coffee maker - Armel Coussine
That one's no good. They have to have a thick rigid lever with a round black knob on the end that you pull down to force the coffee through. Makes you feel like a proper Italian or poovy bloke in a coffee bar.

Otherwise you have to have one that forces the water upward when it boils in the bottom container. We've got one of those. Works a treat.
Latest Forum Posts