Non-motoring > Extending LED outdoor lights Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 10

Extending LED outdoor lights - smokie
So I could do with a longer lead in between the start of the bulbs and the plug. Can I just chop the wire and insert an additional length? Would I need to get specific wire? I think I have some bell push wire somewhere....
 Extending LED outdoor lights - Fursty Ferret
>> So I could do with a longer lead in between the start of the bulbs
>> and the plug. Can I just chop the wire and insert an additional length? Would
>> I need to get specific wire? I think I have some bell push wire somewhere....
>>

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Might be easier to just use an extension lead and then plonk the plugs in a sealed lunchbox or something similar. If you do chop it, probably a good idea to use adhesive heatshrink to waterproof the connectors.
 Extending LED outdoor lights - Slidingpillar
PIB (poly iso butyl) tape is your friend. Sometimes sold in car hose repair kits but reasonable available. If you must chop and extend, solder wires, insulate with normal insulation tape and then tightly wrap in PIB tape to render the joint waterproof.

Done carefully, you can be safe, but do not for a moment think it abides by the wiring regulations!
 Extending LED outdoor lights - Zero
>> So I could do with a longer lead in between the start of the bulbs
>> and the plug. Can I just chop the wire and insert an additional length? Would
>> I need to get specific wire? I think I have some bell push wire somewhere....

Any old wire will do, its safe its low voltage.
 Extending LED outdoor lights - Runfer D'Hills
I've just put ours up. Can't feel my fingers. Damn cold. I can't abide the things but my wife had increased the mentioning of it from daily this time last week to a pretty much hourly event so the line of least resistance and all that...

It'll be the ruddy tree next no doubt.
 Extending LED outdoor lights - Zero
>> I've just put ours up. Can't feel my fingers.

Ah 'praps I was wrong, its not low voltage after all.

Hope you have the full compliment of illuminated waving Santas and crapping reindeer, as befits a neo Elizabethan housing estate.
 Extending LED outdoor lights - Runfer D'Hills
Indeed there are are some of those, mercifully not in our garden nor in direct line of sight from our house.
 Extending LED outdoor lights - madf
>> Indeed there are are some of those, mercifully not in our garden nor in direct
>> line of sight from our house.
>>

You live beside a council estate? :eek! :-)
 Extending LED outdoor lights - Aretas
I don't see why you shouldn't extend the light but I would not replace any of the existing cable (i.e. don't chop a lump out). The cable might be designed to have some inherent resistance as part of the safety of the product. I think the transformers are "type 2" and the web will tell you something about their safety.
 Extending LED outdoor lights - legacylad
I don't acknowledge Christmas chez LL. However, my neighbour has a new set of outside lights & when he called into where i work yesterday I thanked him profusely. Told him I can read in bed now without drawing the curtains. And other banter.
Got time off work so hope to escape to Bruges 20/24 dec. Attending my local curry house for king prawn Handi on the 25th after a tour of my local pubs, then back to work on the27th. Hosting a Mexican party on the 26th for waifs & strays, fajitas & copious amounts of margerita & tequila slammers under a gazebo in the rain. Not very rural North Yorkshire but I try to be different. Thank goodness I don't have to drive anywhere or entertain relatives.
 Extending LED outdoor lights - rtj70
Legacylad, I like the sound of your time off for Christmas! :-) New RS3 announced too I think. Should be one for the future. TT Sportback looks interesting too.
Latest Forum Posts