Non-motoring > Doggie Behaviour. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 5

Doggie Behaviour. - R.P.
The two spaniels get on quite well together, the odd tantrum which seem to ebb and flows. Both are playful and possessive of their toys. Od incident last night.

Mrs RP had bought a draught excluder (shaped like a long dog) - mistaken as a toy it was immediately pressed into action as a toy.

When I got home the Springer had it and the Cocker was trying all ways to get it back. Both dogs had just been fed, the Cocker has always been a lousy eater, not really bothered by what's put in front of him.....last night when I came home he made a play for seconds....this happens only on very odd occasions maybe twice or three times a year. Because he eats so sparingly and doesn't carry an ounce of fat - he's indulged when he asks...inevitably the Springer gets a handful as well.

When he asked last night the Springer was guarding the new toy in the conservatory....so left him to it. The Cocker gulped down his seconds and ran back to conservatory to stare the Springer out....(no chance).....anyway minutes later the same performance from the Cocker...he's never done that before, asking for "thirds" this was duly done and the as I served it he glanced sharply back towards the conservatory clearly looking for the other dog...who duly appeared at the sound of dry food in a bowl minus the new toy. At which the older dog abandoned the food and grabbed the toy.

To all intents and purposes it appeared planned....surely not possible.
 Doggie Behaviour. - Westpig
>> To all intents and purposes it appeared planned....surely not possible.
>>
Dog or bitch?
 Doggie Behaviour. - R.P.
Dog.
 Doggie Behaviour. - Zero
Planned as in the cocker faking out the springer? Nah. Dogs can be planners and they can and do empty tactics, but that trick is employing levels of chance & double bluff that is beyond them. Had the springer ran out for seconds as well the first time then learned behaviour could have been at work.

The chances are that the cocker had his nose out of joint because of no toy, and was asking for food as attention seeking behaviour. Quick to suss out what was happening and grab his chance tho.
 Doggie Behaviour. - R.P.
He's not one for attention really. He is switched on though.

Doggie Behaviour. - rtj70
>> To all intents and purposes it appeared planned....surely not possible.

I can only give comparison with a cat's behaviour. Our cat (now 19 and starting to have some problems) used to yowl for food. If you ignored her, she'd go to the wall and be ready to scratch the wallpaper.... and then look at you.

The threat was I'll do this if you ignore me. And of course we did respond. She was all ready to scratch down the wall with claws out.... but didn't. And if you ignored her she would damage wallpaper.

I think she's too old for that now.

So I think your dog planned this. Not as clever as cats perhaps. But this one is cleverer than the other dog of yours.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 21 Jan 15 at 22:36
Latest Forum Posts