Non-motoring > Election Promises...Read all about it! Volume 6   [Read only]
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 121

Election Promises...Read all about it! Volume 6 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 7 *****

Ongoing Election chat.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and try and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 8 May 15 at 10:27

Election affects - sooty123
www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20150504/local/italy-stuggles-to-rescue-migrants-while-british-warship-lies-at-anchor.566792

Looks like the PM was happy to make the headlines sending the ship but not so keen on detail. Outside an election year I don't think this would an issue or certainly not a large one.

Election affects - Zero

>> Looks like the PM was happy to make the headlines sending the ship but not
>> so keen on detail. Outside an election year I don't think this would an issue
>> or certainly not a large one.

If it came back to the UK loaded to the gunwales with asylum seekers because no port will take them, Farage would make an issue of it, election or no.
 Election affects - Lygonos
The Euro Referendum is an interesting one:

I have no doubt that Cameron will offer the Referendum, but Tory/Lib/Lab will push for a 'stay-in' vote, and I expect they will win.

However.... from the Tory viewpoint I think it will substantially split their party with multiple UKIP defections and a large jump of the 'get-out' voters moving to UKIP similar to the surge to the SNP after the referendum.

Interesting times ahead.

Election affects - Robin O'Reliant
>> >>
>> However.... from the Tory viewpoint I think it will substantially split their party with multiple
>> UKIP defections and a large jump of the 'get-out' voters moving to UKIP similar to
>> the surge to the SNP after the referendum.
>>
>> Interesting times ahead.
>>
I think it would do the Conservatives a massive favour in the long term to get rid of the far right of the party. Any referendum will vote in favour of staying in because the majority of the population will not be willing to chance the possible consequences of leaving, whether real or imagined. Wanting out is a legitimate viewpoint, but those who make a reasoned argument for such a course are hampered by having all the swivel eyed loons in their camp too. The Tories would be better off if those types left to form some fringe Colonel Blimp outfit, stockpiling turnips somewhere in Essex for the day when the peasants revolted.
 Election affects - The Melting Snowman
Indeed, but such a Tory split might be in the best long term interests of the party. The issue of Europe divides all parties (except UKIP!) but for the Tories it has always been a much more highly charged and toxic issue. Disagreements over Europe dogged the latter years of the Thatcher Govts. and all of Major's. A mass defection to UKIP would draw a line under the issue and enable the Tories to rebuild a united party.

Election affects - Zero
>> Indeed, but such a Tory split might be in the best long term interests of
>> the party. The issue of Europe divides all parties (except UKIP!) but for the Tories
>> it has always been a much more highly charged and toxic issue. Disagreements over Europe
>> dogged the latter years of the Thatcher Govts. and all of Major's. A mass defection
>> to UKIP would draw a line under the issue and enable the Tories to rebuild
>> a united party.

We need a swivel eyed loony party. Hates gays, hates immigrants, hates europe, hates anyone not CoE. At the moment that is half the tory party and all of UKIP. So yes thats a good idea to stuff them all in one place. Kind of a political Jurasic Park

Election affects - Roger.

>>
>> We need a swivel eyed loony party. Hates gays, hates immigrants, hates europe, hates anyone not CoE. At the moment that is half the tory party and all of UKIP.
>> So yes thats a good idea to stuff them all in one place. Kind of
>> a political Jurasic Park
>>

You really are a deluded person Zero. (What an appropriate nom-de-plume !)
You simply have no idea of UKIP's policies as written in our 2015 manifesto.
Not a single one of them equates to your extremely narrow and yes, bigoted, views.
You are a swivel eyed loon if your opinions have been formed by the negativity spewed out on a daily basis by the established media.
I have tried to refrain from personal invective so far, in these columns, but no more.

You, sir, are a twit.
 Election affects - No FM2R
Its not that UKIP itself is a racist, bigoted loon, nor even that its policies are wholly appalling.

Rather it is the type of supporters that it seems to attract and largely pander to. Many of whom are seemingly awful, and somewhat disproportionately so when compared to the number of loons supporting other parties.
 Election affects - tyro
"Its not that UKIP itself is a racist, bigoted loon, nor even that its policies are wholly appalling.

Rather it is the type of supporters that it seems to attract and largely pander to. Many of whom are seemingly awful, and somewhat disproportionately so when compared to the number of loons supporting other parties."

Indeed. I don't for a minute think that Nigel Farage is bigoted or racist. And I would say that, as far as I can see, Douglas Carswell is one of the most decent and sensible members of parliament. (See his comments on "angry nativism".) And the UKIP manifesto is also fine. And many of the candidates and rank and file members are decent people.

I have done a little bit of online research which has revealed something very, very strange, and rather interesting.

When I have looked at the detailed results of opinion polls where the views of voters are analysed according to the party they support, I have discovered that on just about everything, my views come closest to the views of Conservative and LibDem supporters. I don't have very much in common with UKIP and Labour supporters.

But when I have done the online tests to see how my opinions compare to those of the political parties, I discover that UKIP is the closest match. (I strongly disagree with UKIP on some things, but then I don't agree with the other parties on very much either!)

The conclusion that I draw is that there is a big gulf between the beliefs and outlook of the UKIP leadership and beliefs and outlook of most UKIP supporters (and not a few activists.)

And this leads me to an interesting conclusion. One thing that almost nobody has commented on is that the rise of UKIP in the last few years has, for all intents and purposes, killed the BNP stone dead. And in doing so, UKIP has effectively removed racism from British politics for the first time in decades. UKIP siphons off the votes of racists and gets them to vote for a party that will generally expel anyone with even a hint of racism about them. In doing so, UKIP has done more to purge racism from British politics than any other organisation.

Election affects - Zero
>> You really are a deluded person Zero. (What an appropriate nom-de-plume !)
>> You simply have no idea of UKIP's policies as written in our 2015 manifesto.
>> Not a single one of them equates to your extremely narrow and yes, bigoted, views.
>> You are a swivel eyed loon if your opinions have been formed by the negativity
>> spewed out on a daily basis by the established media.
>> I have tried to refrain from personal invective so far, in these columns, but no
>> more.

Alas most of the members it seems don't seem to agree with your policies, except one Imigration, and some of them it seems because they want to shed them.

>> You, sir, are a twit.

You sir are a racist hypocrite. You sir are the one constantly spouting propaganda that suits your agenda on here. You sir are typical of the swivelled eye loons that were attracted to UKIP. So You sir are the reason I wont consider them.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 6 May 15 at 16:52
 Election affects - Haywain
" Farage would make an issue of it, election or no."

I expect Ed Millibean would make an issue of it as well; many of the migrants are fleeing for their lives from Islamic tyranny and are probably, with some justification, Islamophobic.

Election affects - John Boy
I had a letter from Dave, addressing me by my first name. Is that because I'm in a Tory marginal or did you all get one?

Also had a leaflet from a "Christian" organisation to let me know that the local Tory incumbent had voted in favour of same-sex marriage. Oh dear!

Election affects - Robin O'Reliant
I decided to cast my vote to the party who are trying hardest to win the local vote. So I've been going round the last few weeks counting the election banners outside people's houses to see who had the most support, and I've come up with a clear winner who'll be getting my cross tomorrow.

It's West Wales Properties for me.

Election affects - Cliff Pope

>>
>> It's West Wales Properties for me.
>>

People voting to sell-up and leave?

Likely result - Westpig
So, we're nearly there.

I wonder if Dave will do a John Major and pull it out of the bag despite all the polls? I hope so.

If the 'spend, spend, spend' lot get in, aided by some rabid Jocks, well so be it... if the country votes for that, they'll get what they deserve won't they.
 Likely result - Lygonos
Hopefully the Tories will get in and start cutting the unsustainable pensions of the retired.
 Likely result - Westpig
>> Hopefully the Tories will get in and start cutting the unsustainable pensions of the retired.
>>

What, like the one you will receive?
 Likely result - Lygonos
>>What, like the one you will receive?

The one I pay 30% of my gross income into and won't see until I'm 68?

Yeah, that one.
 Likely result - Westpig
>> The one I pay 30% of my gross income into and won't see until I'm
>> 68?
>>
>> Yeah, that one.
>>

Guardian's take on doctor's pensions:

tinyurl.com/koqqnda

The article says NHS employees pay 8.9% of their salary, unless they earn over £110K, in which case they pay 10.9%... so where does your 30% come from?

... and my S-I-L, a GP, isn't planning on staying around in that game until 68.

Likely result - Bromptonaut
>> tinyurl.com/koqqnda
>>
>> The article says NHS employees pay 8.9% of their salary, unless they earn over £110K,
>> in which case they pay 10.9%... so where does your 30% come from?

Most GPs are effectively self employed; the local practices are partnerships analogous to a firm of solicitors. I guess Lygonos has to pay the employer's as well as employee's contributions from his practice's gross income from government fees etc.

Likely result - Westpig
>> Most GPs are effectively self employed; the local practices are partnerships analogous to a firm
>> of solicitors. I guess Lygonos has to pay the employer's as well as employee's contributions
>> from his practice's gross income from government fees etc.
>>

Thanks.

So someone in effect running their own business, well paid and able to put aside a lot for the future wants to have a pop at others who have served their time, paid their dues and is only being remunerated at a rate that was thought appropriate by many governments in the past.

Nice.

Likely result - No FM2R
Your shoulder chips, resentment and bitterness to one side, I think all he said was that he paid 30%. I don't think he commented on what anybody else paid?

But perhaps that doesn't fit your hang ups.

Likely result - Westpig
>> Your shoulder chips, resentment and bitterness to one side, I think all he said was
>> that he paid 30%. I don't think he commented on what anybody else paid?

No he didn't. I did.
>>
>> But perhaps that doesn't fit your hang ups.

Deep yawn...and what are they then? Are you the forum expert?

Likely result - No FM2R
>> Are you the forum expert?

Does one have to be recognised as a "forum expert" to comment?

That attitude most come from the secure, internal knowledge that you are someone, one of the few in fact, who did achieve their full potential.

Likely result - Westpig
>> Does one have to be recognised as a "forum expert" to comment?

No, good point, what I should have said was: 'do you have experience in this field'?

>> That attitude most come from the secure, internal knowledge that you are someone, one of
>> the few in fact, who did achieve their full potential.

If I answer 'yes' then I could appear big headed for thinking I've achieved well.. or possibly a hopelessly out of touch under achiever for thinking I did alright but never having made it to the top.

Yet if I say 'no' (I didn't achieve my full potential), that could seem big headed for presuming I could have achieved more, when in fact I didn't.

Not much point answering that then.. other than to say I'm happy with my lot and don't look backwards thinking 'what if'.

Likely result - No FM2R
>>No, good point, what I should have said was: 'do you have experience in this field'?

Yes, I do. So much.

As an aside, you may wish to read my [previous] last paragraph again.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 6 May 15 at 23:22

Likely result - Westpig
>> As an aside, you may wish to read my [previous] last paragraph again.
>>
You've lost me. I did notice the spelling mistake.

Likely result - sooty123

>> The article says NHS employees pay 8.9% of their salary, unless they earn over £110K,
>> in which case they pay 10.9%... so where does your 30% come from?
>>
>> ... and my S-I-L, a GP, isn't planning on staying around in that game until
>> 68.
>>
>>
>>

I think it's because GPs aren't NHS employees, they are self employed. I think it's a bit more complicated than that but that's the jist of it.

Likely result - Lygonos
>>Guardian's take on doctor's pensions:

Is wrong - this year I pay 14.5% employee pension plus 13.5% employer's contribution as self-employed, so 28% of gross earnings.

>>and my S-I-L, a GP, isn't planning on staying around in that game until 68.

And that is relevant to me in what way?

>> ... unsustainable pensions of the retired. What, like the one you will receive?

Current surplus of the NHS doctor pension scheme is something like £2bn/yr, which is effectively simply used as tax to pay for today's Govt spending - you'll be aware that there is no 'pot' of money built up by the pension contributions of the Public sector.

>>So someone in effect running their own business, well paid and able to put aside a lot for the future wants to have a pop at others who have served their time, paid their dues...

Which were entirely insufficient to cover the cost of their 30+ years of retirement, but that nettle should have been grasped by the successive governments since the mid 70s onwards.
 Likely result - Westpig
>> Is wrong - this year I pay 14.5% employee pension plus 13.5% employer's contribution as
>> self-employed, so 28% of gross earnings.

Look, no one's going to feel sorry for the local doctor when it comes down to earnings and pension..are they?
>>
>> >>and my S-I-L, a GP, isn't planning on staying around in that game until 68.
>>
>> And that is relevant to me in what way?

If she is planning on arranging her life so she doesn't work until 68... then so could you if you wished to.

>> Which were entirely insufficient to cover the cost of their 30+ years of retirement, but
>> that nettle should have been grasped by the successive governments since the mid 70s onwards.

Yes, I agree...they were like ostriches and ignored it. It is only recently that it has been addressed and changing the goalposts for those in work at the moment is causing pain to some.

However, it would IMO be morally wrong to try to change downwards what a pensioner already earns, because they've usually reached the point in life where they can't do much about changing things and will have already planned around what they have got.

Even in my own circumstances of retiring earlier than most... I still found it far harder than I would have imagined to get reasonably remunerated employment, because not many people want to employ 50+ year olds.

Likely result - Lygonos
>>Look, no one's going to feel sorry for the local doctor when it comes down to earnings and pension..are they?

I don't think I was looking for pity. But it seems I found envy.

>>If she is planning on arranging her life so she doesn't work until 68... then so could you if you wished to.

Again relevant to me why?

>>However, it would IMO be morally wrong to try to change downwards what a pensioner already earns

Of course it is, my comment was TIC - I just think smileys are lame. Equally it is morally wrong to diminish disablement benefits and the like but as long as the Govt of the day can sell a 'them and us' divisive story no-one gives a toss if they aren't directly affected.

>>because not many people want to employ 50+ year olds

I wish you'd been a GP! The shortfall of GPs is in the first stages of exploding and will deepen over the next 4-5 years. 50+ yr old GPs are in huge demand.

In Central Scotland they are even advertising in Australia to try to tempt back UK docs who left for the sun.

Likely result - Lygonos
>>In Central Scotland they are even advertising in Australia

And the Highlands are going for the multilingual Dutch doctors:

jobs.scot.nhs.uk/_Details.aspx?vacNo=411726

Elaine Mead said: "We are confident that there must be many GPs, either newly qualified or experienced, who would relish the lifestyle and career opportunities working in some of our more remote areas would provide."

etc.
 Likely result - Westpig
>> >>Look, no one's going to feel sorry for the local doctor when it comes down
>> to earnings and pension..are they?
>>
>>
>> I don't think I was looking for pity. But it seems I found envy.

No... that's understandable from the posts, because I agree there could be that interpretation ... but I've never suffered from that, fortunately.

I don't mind people doing well in life (and some think I have done so). There's usually a catch to it all and having someone in your field in the family, I know the ups and downs of your role.

Running your own business has stresses to it that those salaried will often not understand.

Then there's the reason why I vote Tory, the thought that those with the right mindset or circumstance to do well, do so, to earn cash for the country, so we can afford to pay those that are in unfortunate circumstances.

>> >>If she is planning on arranging her life so she doesn't work until 68... then
>> so could you if you wished to.
>>
>> Again relevant to me why?

Because you said or hinted you had to work until 68... and I'm suggesting you don't.

The rest of it I think we are pretty much in agreement.

Likely result - swiss tony
>> Hopefully the Tories will get in and start cutting the unsustainable pensions of the retired.
>>

If they do, well so be it... if the country votes for that, they'll get what they deserve won't they.

Likely result - Haywain
"If the 'spend, spend, spend' lot get in"

This was personally best illustrated by the year on year increase in our council tax of 3 or 4 x inflation in the period leading to the last election; the council built a magnificent glass palace for themselves which would have drawn the combined envy of a thousand Audi dealers.

In the 5 years since the Conservatives took over, there has been no council tax increase. I am supposed to be pleased when the annual self-congratulatory tax demand arrives trumpeting 'no increase again' but, rather, I am furious that I am reminded that so much was recklessly spent before.

Likely result - madf
I watched a program last night on Newcastle's cleaning service specifically for council houses. They do nothing but clear empty council houses of the furniture and the waste left behind. One of the guys quoted that the costs of the council collecting furniture was c £25 so people did nowt and left it in the house when they vacated it.

The council apparently don't charge tenants for this service. It was quoted as costing up to £3,000 per house - or more if left in really bad condition..

What a way to run a business...but then it's a council so wasting OPM so that's allright..

(OPM? Other People's Money)

Likely result - sooty123
> What a way to run a business...but then it's a council so wasting OPM so
>> that's allright..
>>
>> (OPM? Other People's Money)
>>
>>

I believe it is yes, it's not council money. I'm pretty sure all council Houses are in separate fund. So, as i understand, it is OPM. Might differ from council to council.

>> This was personally best illustrated by the year on year increase in our council tax

Something north of 66% of local council spend is funded by grants from central government. Council Tax makes up the difference. Both major parties have played games with central funding going back to when it was called Rate Support Grant.

When Labour are in power grants favour the big cities. Under the Tories the formula gets shifted to favour the Shire counties. If you're in 'Constable Country' then Essex/Suffolk will gain under the ories and lose under LAbour. If you were in Liverpool t'would be other way round.

Nothing to do with financial propriety, just how the system is manipulated.

Likely result - Haywain
" just how the system is manipulated."

Precisely ........... e.g. the aforementioned glass palace.

Likely result - Roger.
Last pre election word from me (well ,not from me actually)
by Gerald Warner6 May 20150
“Eve of poll” is one of the holy days in the liturgical calendar of the political class. It is a red-letter day for politicians, exhausted after weeks of cack-handed lying, evasions and insincere drivel. It signals to them that within 24 hours they will be free of the necessity even to pretend to heed the concerns and wishes of the mug punters who compose the electorate.

Take a careful look at that abject creature, decked out in a gaudy rosette such as ornaments prize-winning sows at agricultural shows, polluting your doorstep. Smirking, cringing, sweating, patronisingly admiring your roses, he has only one desire: to carry out your commands. Concerned about immigration? Why didn’t you say so before? Not one more Rumanian will enter Britain if you return him to Parliament. HS2? Okay, he may have supported it in the last Parliament, but he is now re-thinking his position. Same-sex marriage? Just because he voted for it, that doesn’t mean he likes it any more than you do.

Fast forward a week, or even 48 hours, and the supplicant will be transformed into a braying, opinionated, arrogant dictator, embarking on five more years of imposing on the citizenry the PC prescriptions favoured by the swarming pathogens on the slime-green benches. Throughout that period of electoral reprieve he will never again speak to, much less listen to, a normal, average Briton. His sentiments on returning to the gothic halls of the rats’ nest on the Thames will be: thank God we don’t need to have anything to do with the grisly electorate for another five years.

Enough already. Does anyone with a shred of self respect believe we can allow this travesty to continue? The most perfunctory look at what has been done to our country, over the past half century, by the supposed servants of the public furnishes the most damning condemnation of this rotten system. They have radically transformed the demography of Britain, against the known wishes of the electorate, supplanting the indigenous population with alien cultures and threatening with criminal prosecution anyone who might have the temerity to protest against it.

Our sovereignty has been surrendered to an evil empire dominated by our traditional enemies. Our civil liberties have been trashed. Fundamental issues such as the line of succession to the throne and the definition of marriage have been refashioned on the hoof, without consultation (or, in the case of marriage, with a consultation whose unwelcome outcome was ignored). And so on. The litany of outrages, major and minor, is endless. Everybody knows about it, few people feel they can do anything to improve the situation.

Those few, however, are growing in number and for one simple reason: they now have a vehicle through which they can give their dissatisfaction (to put it mildly) practical expression. That vehicle is UKIP. The BBC, the rest of the commentariat and the political class have strained every nerve to crush UKIP. They have failed. The contrast between the ludicrous behaviour of the legacy party leaders – Ed Miliband (batteries not included) unveiling a tombstone, with no apparent sense of the irony of the situation, and Dave making his “pumped-up” speech (dear God!) – and the imperturbable common sense with which Nigel Farage has uttered palpable home truths in the face of acute provocation has not been lost on the public.

For British patriots there is only one dog in this race and it is UKIP. The time for tactical voting (except in one unique circumstance) is over. Reluctantly supporting one legacy party in the hope of blocking an even more loathsome one was a tactic born of desperation in the days when there was no alternative. But now there is an alternative. It is time to put away the constituency statistics, the despairing calculations of candidates likely to beat other, more hated, candidates and vote positively. There is one party that broadly represents the aspirations of all of us who are outraged by our country’s decline. It would be perverse not to support it. Tomorrow is payback time for Dave and the rest of the political pondlife.

There is one caveat. For Scottish voters the preservation of the Union is the sole issue. When a patriotic British party eventually comes to power, there must still be a Britain for it to restore to greatness. There is a case in Scotland for supporting whichever candidate has the best prospect of defeating Sturgeon’s Maoists. Many London-based media are behaving as if the SNP is some kind of new force, like UKIP. That is nonsense: it is another legacy party, founded in the 1930s when many of its leading lights were notorious for their Nazi sympathies. That menace must be halted. If it invades Westminster the legacy Quislings will remorselessly betray England to gain its parliamentary support.

Everywhere else, tactical voting is irrelevant. If, at last, a political party is representing our views we would be insane not to vote for it. Many patriotic voters will be disappointed by the outcome of this election because it will not sweep away the legacy parties at a stroke. They should not be disappointed: there is no likely outcome that will not hole the legacy parties below the waterline. We should entertain both high and low expectations of this election. High because, in the long term, it will mark the point of no return for the current political class; low because it is unlikely to be spectacular and apocalyptic this time out.

Forty-eight hours from now, whatever happens at the polls, the political establishment will be significantly diminished in power, to a degree we could not have hoped for five years ago. That is the key fact to bear in mind, regardless of the details of the result. So, no more tactical voting; our vote now must be strategic and that strategy is to advance the influence and credibility of UKIP until the day when it is eventually empowered to mend broken Britain.

Likely result - Zero

There is a case in Scotland for supporting whichever candidate has the best prospect of defeating Sturgeon’s Maoists. Many London-based media are behaving as if the SNP is some kind of new force, like UKIP. That is nonsense: it is another legacy party, founded in the 1930s when many of its leading lights were notorious for their Nazi sympathies. That menace must be halted. If it invades Westminster the legacy Quislings will remorselessly betray England to gain its parliamentary support.

ROFL
>> ROFL

More like ROFLMAO

In the thirties the establishment and its press were notorious for their Nazi sympathies. Hurrah for the Blackshirts anybody?

There was a period when the SNP was regarded as 'Tartan Tories'. If that wasn't already dead in 1974 then Margo McDonald drove a stake through it's heart. They're now a radical party a bit to left of Labour.

You can ally with or oppose them on that basis but harking back to thirties is barking.

Likely result - Lygonos
Good God!

The SNP are basically like a slightly left of New Labour, Labour party. Much more pro-business than the pre-New Labour party.

I've got English colleagues who thought they were the b***** BNP up here.

Despite the rapid growth in their support since devolution they seem to have done a far better job than UKIP of keeping the bigots (who are in every walk of life - nothing to do with left/right politics) under wraps and out of positions of influence.

There is a case in Scotland for supporting whichever candidate has the best prospect of defeating Sturgeon’s Maoists

This little bit is in their to get their excuses in first why they'll probably fail to get their deposit back in the majority of seats.

UKIP up here is about as popular as watching Maggie's funeral was...

s1231.photobucket.com/user/peterms0/media/Edinburgh_zps4482f36a.jpg.html

Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 6 May 15 at 22:53

Likely result - Westpig
>> UKIP up here is about as popular as watching Maggie's funeral was...
>>
>> s1231.photobucket.com/user/peterms0/media/Edinburgh_zps4482f36a.jpg.html

The rain put people off...;-)

Likely result - Lygonos
>>The rain put people off...;-)

Yeah we don't get rain very often here!

Likely result - No FM2R
For me;

Only Labour or Conservative can lead;

Conservatives will try to do stuff I mostly agree with and probably fail to one degree or another.

Labour will try to do stuff I mostly disagree with and will probably fail to one degree or another.

So, they'll both fail, they're both full of idiots that the electorate isn't smart enough to understand, but the Conservatives will at least fail while leaning in my direction. If nothing else I find Conservative politicians are less offensive bunch on a personal level.

SDP are so Scotland centric (as they should be, I guess) that I do not want them standalone but, having said that, they will stop the Labour party doing anything significant or permanent. And if they do take Scotland independent, then "whatever", "one less" as they say.

UKIP are dipsticks. They won't achieve anything if they are leading, they won't achieve much if they are partaking. However, they do keep people honest with their shouting from the cheap seats, so their continued existence is no bad thing.

The SDP are so desperate to be important that whatever they believe they will pretty much agree anything to be part of a coalition.

The Greens are important, but only so they keep shouting their message, They shouldn't actually ever be allowed in anywhere.

So, I'd quite like a Conservative majority, but preferably not too big.

Failing that, then I'd like the biggest mess possible stopping any of the nutters doing anything of significance.

>> If
>> nothing else I find Conservative politicians are less offensive bunch on a personal level.

An interesting observation, which ones in particular? On a personal level I find it difficult to imagine a more offensive triumvirate than Gove, Duncan-Smith and Grayling.

Likely result - madf
>> An interesting observation, which ones in particular? On a personal level I find it difficult
>> to imagine a more offensive triumvirate than Gove, Duncan-Smith and Grayling.
>>
>>
>>

Ed Balls is worth three of any Toiries in the offensive stakes. Then add Gordon Brown # and you have a winning team despite being outnumbered:-)

# throwing telephones at staff is a firing offence in all jobs except politics.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 7 May 15 at 12:57

Likely result - Zero

>> Ed Balls is worth three of any Toiries in the offensive stakes. Then add Gordon
>> Brown # and you have a winning team despite being outnumbered:-)
>>
>> # throwing telephones at staff is a firing offence in all jobs except politics.

The milliband is inoffensive, i mean how can you be offended by nothing?

Likely result - Cliff Pope

>>
>> You can ally with or oppose them on that basis but harking back to thirties
>> is barking.
>>
>>

But there is a certain similarity between the behaviour of the thuggish hangers-on who make it their business to disrupt legitimate expression by other candidates, and Moseley's supporters of the thirties.

The colour of the shirts has changed of course.
 Likely result - madf
>> Last pre election word from me (well ,not from me actually)
>> by Gerald Warner 6 May 20150

Ah yes: the man who has forecast 100 times the EU will crash next year.. and the year after ..and the year after...

Credibility: nil..

>> Precisely ........... e.g. the aforementioned glass palace.

It may be a vanity project but OTOH it may generate a saving. Compare new offices with energy efficient construction, proper IT infrastructure and much less space per employee with a draught ridden rabbit warren of cellular offices.

Our LA has just moved from a seventies build 'Civic Centre' on the edge of town to a multi-functional set up on brownfield nearer the centre. The old site will be redeveloped for housing. The whole project, which also incorporates joint working with neighbour councils, saves money.

Likely result - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> It may be a vanity project but OTOH it may generate a saving.

In which case council tax would be falling?

>> In which case council tax would be falling?

All other things being equal possibly but all other things are nothing like equal, not least changes in central funding. Much more has been cut in that area than from spend in Westminster/Whitehall.

Likely result - sooty123
Does anyone know when % of turnout is it out of registered voters or out of all the people that could vote?

>> Does anyone know when % of turnout is it out of registered voters or out
>> of all the people that could vote?

Pretty sure it's against those on the electoral roll; a count of number of ballots issued adjusted for any replacing accidental spoilages. While the number of individuals 'off register' can be estimated I cannot see how it could have any real certainty.

IIRC Haywain of this parish is a polling officer and will probably be able to confirm.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 7 May 15 at 12:22

Likely result - Armel Coussine
I voted today, wasting my parliamentary vote really in this heavily Tory area.

Only used one of my three municipal votes. No Labour candidate, so I gave it to Clegg's lot.

I think Herself went Green both times. She's more principled and optimistic than I am.

Likely result - Alanovich
I'd go green (note the small g) if I ever voted Labour. Simply can't be trusted with the economy, markets are already dipping at the prospect. Sigh. Don't understand why (employed) folks vote for them given their 100% record of leaving office with the country bust.

LibDem vote duly delivered. Hopeful of a continuation of the coalition, truth be told.
 Likely result - Pezzer
"LibDem vote duly delivered. Hopeful of a continuation of the coalition, truth be told."

Agreed but coming from the Conservative side. I think the last 5 years has been a good compromise and would like it to continue.
>> Simply can't be
>> trusted with the economy, markets are already dipping at the prospect.

It's uncertainty that's spooking the markets. Not just in the UK either, German and French bonds are volatile due Eurozone issues and bondholders following the dictum 'sell in May and go away'.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 7 May 15 at 14:51

Likely result - Alanovich
Hmm. Uncertainty due to a possible Labour administration. When we have Labour in power and it looks like a Tory change is coming, I seem to remember markets react the other way to that sort of uncertainty.
>> Hmm. Uncertainty due to a possible Labour administration. When we have Labour in power and
>> it looks like a Tory change is coming, I seem to remember markets react the
>> other way to that sort of uncertainty.

Two years of uncertainty over an EU referendum will do the markets a power of good. More so if there's an unholy alliance involving any UKIP MPs and their potential to make common cause with the 'sceptics' in the Tory party.

>> Labour. Simply can't be trusted with the economy,

Cobblers. That's what the comic has been screaming for several days, quoting hundreds of big businessmen and thousands of small ones... big surprise that.

There's very little difference really. Pols don't control the economy, offshore big business does.

It's Labour's turn. Box and Cox is what I'm used to.

Likely result - Gromit
"I voted today, wasting my parliamentary vote"

AC, I'm sure you write in jest, but I'm sure you also appreciate the only wasted vote is one not cast.

Vote tactically for the coalition you prefer, vote for the underdog so a 'safe seat' MP can claim less of a margin, spoil the vote if you will, but we should never give a politician the opportunity to think what they do (or don't do) for us "doesn't matter because, sure, those constituents never turn out on polling day anyway"*

* Words unpleasantly close to these were spoken about constituencies in Merseyside and Scotland in RTE radio news reports on the UK election over the past week...

Likely result - No FM2R
Uncertainty? That's unavoidable. Its not knowing which type of uncertainty is the problem.

It doesn't much matter whether the stock market goes up or down, if you trade in shares and can correctly guess which, then you will make money.

Likely result - The Melting Snowman
The election makes a good excuse to go to the pub. I'm off to the local with the darts team, we shall stay until the early hours although as the evening progresses, less darts gets played. Whether I will still be conscious when the first results come in is uncertain :-o

Likely result - sooty123

>> Pretty sure it's against those on the electoral roll; a count of number of ballots
>> issued adjusted for any replacing accidental spoilages. While the number of individuals 'off register' can
>> be estimated I cannot see how it could have any real certainty.

Thanks, I did wonder. Although it would be better to see it against everyone elegible. Although I note it would be very difficult.
I think I saw as low as 18% in a by election. Might have been closer to 10% including those not registered?

Likely result - Zero
Me n Mrs Z ( theres a song there somewhere) voted at separate times, both of us commentated at the number of people voting, seems like a largish turnout here

Likely result - Robin O'Reliant
Roger Maile is standing in my ward. He's representing The New Society of Worth.

Either a lost deposit or an interesting nutter in the commons. Mind you, I didn't have my reading glasses with me this morning so I might well have voted for him.

Voted mid morning.Miss B who's home or weekend came along to observe, she'd got a postal vote as away from her Plymouth home.

Poll card said there were 3 elections - GE for constituency, District Council and Parish. In event only two ballot papers as apparently the district elections are uncontested.

Voted Labour but will have no effect in a seat where Tory majority was 20k last time.

It got as low as 7.5k in 1997 but since then boundaries have been redrawn with a number of traditionally Labour wards moved into a new South Northants constituency.

Likely result - sooty123
Can't say I bothered, although I don't think I'm registered. Partially disinterest, partially I move alot, I think I'm on the fourth address in 4 1/2 years. It's one of many things to do when moving and I'm away from my postal address 2/3/4 months a year, I just forget about it all.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 7 May 15 at 20:36

Likely result - Robin O'Reliant
>> although I don't think I'm registered.

>>
That effects your credit rating.

Likely result - sooty123
Probably so, but I don't get much on credit, a phone contract and I've got all the CCs I could want. It isn't something that effects me, not that I've noticed in my life anyway.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 7 May 15 at 20:43

Likely result - legacylad
Made the most of a day off work by spending time walking in Lake District . Fabulous weather. Drove home with roof down again. Dumped car in garage at 5pm & straight to my local pub beer garden. Several pints & one curry later remembered about the voting thing. Can't say I'm bothered. So long as I can afford beer, curry & holidays I don't give a rats ass who's in charge. Or thinks they are.
Latest is that exit polls suggest a Tory dominated minority:

Conservatives: 316

Labour: 239

SNP: 58

Lib Dems: 10

Plaid Cymru: 4

Greens: 2

Ukip: 2

On those numbers Tory/LD coalition could continue.
>> Latest is that exit polls suggest a Tory dominated minority:

>> Conservatives: 316

>> Labour: 239

Oh b****r. Could change overnight, of course.

Rarse though.

Likely result - Lygonos
Lib Dem election chief Lord Ashdown told the BBC: "If this exit poll is right I will publicly eat my hat."

Tee hee hee.

Can't see the Scottish Nose Pickers getting 58 seats but would spell the end of Milliband surely?

Neep pickers shurely?
 Likely result - Lygonos
Nah - pretty much Poles and Lithuanians do that for us, much like dan sarf.

Likely result - No FM2R
>>On those numbers Tory/LD coalition could continue.

Oh I do hope so.

Mind you, I'd like to see UKIP get a few more seats, just enough to be able to keep everybody else on their toes.

To an extent though, if UKIP cannot get the seats now, I wonder what, if anything, could change to help them in the future. Other than their occasional dodgy member, the environment was probably about as good for them as it will ever be.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 7 May 15 at 23:13

Likely result - Lygonos
>> To an extent though, if UKIP cannot get the seats now, I wonder what, if anything, could change to help them in the future.

If Cameron gets a vote through to allow a referendum on Euro in/out, then I expect this referendum will end in a 'stay-in' with Con/Lib/Lab/SNP all pushing to stay in.

This in turn will do a 'Indy Referendum' where the 'out' voters who traditionally voted non-UKIP will then jump ship due to disaffection with their previous parties and UKIP will reap some more numbers.

Not guaranteed to happen of course but I think it more likely than not.

(assuming Farage doesn't succumb to a lifestyle induced demise such as lung cancer in which case the rest of the party will melt away)

Likely result - No FM2R
Perhaps.

Europe does rather illustrate the problem with political groups though - not everybody agrees on every issue.

So using fantasy figures;

Party leader 1 has to keep everybody in his party happy, although 66% want in and 30% want out. So even though he has to promote his party as pro-europe, he has to be aware that if he is too strong, then he alienates 333% of his own party.

Party leader 2 has to do the same, although 66% of his party want out and only 33% want in. The trouble with that is that whilst he is leading the nominally anti group, every time he slags off party 1 for being pro, 33% of his own party gets offended.

And then wonders why their leader sits on the fence!!

Far easy for a party with a single point of view, lets call them UKIP for the sake of argument. Because not only are they small enough for everybody to get behind a single view, they are new so every member is so grateful to be involved that he'll sign up to anything the party says.

Whereas the party 1 and party 2 politicians, especially the older ones, all think they have some unique and standalone right to exist and so consequently delight in shooting their own party in its foot.

The further trouble is, its not 66/33, its more like 50.01 / 49.99 in each party and who can work out which is which from one week to the next.

Likely result - No FM2R
>>(assuming Farage doesn't succumb to a lifestyle induced demise such as lung cancer in which case the rest of the party will melt away)

If it doesn't work out this time, Farage would have to be a stunningly strong man to continue.

Near death and injuries on one campaign, slogging your heart out for 5 years and then more physical pain and stress, and throughout all of that concentrating on everything you say or do, who you say it to or with, as well as trying to drag a bunch of halfwits along with you, he must be completely knackered I should think.

You'd have to think if he doesn't see light at the end of the tunnel he'll give it up and at least back off.
I hope Farage holds his seat. I don't like UKIP or approve of it but he adds colour to our political scene.

Two Ukippers were here for drinky-poos tonight, neighbours and friends of the rather ghastly Hamiltons down in the west country. They are relations by marriage and excellent people if you ignore their politics. As one does with people who are OK but wrong about some things.

I don't think I'll stay up to see the result though. So far it's just some solid north-east Labour holds... but UKIP is doing astonishingly well. Poor Clegg is being trounced everywhere or nearly. How amazingly thick the British can be...

I'm hoping for a Labour/SNP coalition just for the change. This will be utterly horrible to many, including the couple who were here for drinks earlier. But hey, that's politics in all its ugly boringness. The TV hacks are doing their best but they can't hide that.
Well, it's 4am and that's all I can stand.

The nationalist parties, Scottish, Welsh and UKIP, have all done well at the expense of the national ones: LibDems mainly, but also Labour which has been wiped out in Scotland. So we're in for another year or two of Cameron and the Cons. Guh. The Jocks may live to regret it if they survive all the beer and snout.

It's suggested that Farage will lose his seat but I'm not waiting up for the recount result. George Galloway has lost his to Labour apparently. Respect! I met Galloway once, down in the middle of the Sahara desert. Can't say I really took to him, but I don't suppose he really took to me either.

UKIP didn't get seats but did get an astonishing number of votes. It was said though that it would get a few seats before midday. We'll see... when I wake up at 11 or so it will be to a new country. But not all that new.

One of the new MPs is a harsh-voiced, strident child of 20, the youngest MP since 1840 the pundits said. Made me shudder a bit, but I was soothed by the buxom Nicola Sturgeon and her nice red dress.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Fri 8 May 15 at 04:31

Likely result - madf
Sat up to 3.30am. Guessed then Cons would have c 325 to 330 seats.

Well done Ed.. great campaign...I hope the Labour Party give him a second chance, and a third...

Glad to see Simon Hughes and V Cable have lost their seats..

Looks like a surprisingly brilliant Tory campaign aided by Lucy Powell of Labour...

Last edited by: madf on Fri 8 May 15 at 05:54
 Likely result - Duncan
>> Sat up to 3.30am. Guessed then Cons would have c 325 to 330 seats.
>>

And then up again at 5.50!!!

Why do they count votes at night?
Why not start at 8:30 or 9 the next morning. Shirley a few hours won't make much difference.

Likely result - Ian (Cape Town)
Irony. If you voted for the Greens, you wasted a piece of paper.
Breaking news; Ed Balls unseated in Morley and Outwood.
 Likely result - Ian (Cape Town)
well, ain't that a kick in the...

Likely result - R.P.
Maybe that's a good thing for any future Labour come-back.

>> Maybe that's a good thing for any future Labour come-back.

I suspect he'll be back at first winnable by-election. Party will though need to be aware of the historic precedent of Patrick Gordon-Walker.

Likely result - Zero
>> >> Maybe that's a good thing for any future Labour come-back.
>>
>> I suspect he'll be back at first winnable by-election.

not sure thats the case. He will be seen as part of the problem.
 Likely result - sooty123
>>
>> I suspect he'll be back at first winnable by-election.

that's what the conservatives are hoping.

Likely result - Duncan
>>
>> I suspect he'll be back at first winnable by-election. Party will though need to be
>> aware of the historic precedent of Patrick Gordon-Walker.
>>

I believe that Ed Balls has a negative influence on Labour Party fortunes. He is seen as a bully, another Gordon Brown.

Fortunately the Labour Party can't see that.

Likely result - sooty123
That actually made me smile this morning.

Likely result - Zero
>> Looks like a surprisingly brilliant Tory campaign aided by Lucy Powell of Labour...

It wasn't really, it was a crap Tory campaign, which is why they appeared to be doing so badly. There are two keys things about this result

1/ The old mantra "Its all about the economy, stupid" holds good when people have the stubby pencil in their hands

2/ The Milliband effect. As a personality he was unelectable. Labour need to poach the fishy jock woman as next leader (sturgeon, poach - good huh?) She won the SNP the seats. Good presence, on point and unflappable.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 8 May 15 at 09:01

Election Promises...Read all about it ! Volume 6 - Dog
I'm elated - LibDems & Labour given a thoroughly good thrashing - I really couldn't have wished for more.!

Election Promises...Read all about it ! Volume 6 - R.P.
Boris has been elected. That should add some colour....future PM ?

Election Promises...Read all about it ! Volume 6 - Zero
>> Boris has been elected. That should add some colour....future PM ?

I really hope not.

Election Promises...Read all about it ! Volume 6 - Bromptonaut
>> >> Boris has been elected. That should add some colour....future PM ?
>>
>> I really hope not.

What will Cameron do now? He's made clear he doesn't intend standing for a third term which probably means a leadership contest, at latest, immediately the Euro referendum.

The predicted o/all majority is now put at around 6 (although both species of Ulster Unionist will presumably support the Tories. The govt will be vulnerable to by-elections and to pressure from the backwoodsmen on their own benches.

Election Promises...Read all about it ! Volume 6 - sooty123
He could well disappear if they lose the ref on Europe. But then so will ukip if they lose.

>> What will Cameron do now? He's made clear he doesn't intend standing for a third
>> term which probably means a leadership contest, at latest, immediately the Euro referendum.

He's a politician.

You are obliged to say anything.
Your defence when questioned is to say anything which you later ignore in parliament. Anything you do say may be ignored"
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 8 May 15 at 09:17

Election Promises...Read all about it ! Volume 6 - Manatee
Three factors.

Two as stated by Z. Cameron a more credible PM (or less incredible, I still think he is a long way from being a statesman); Labour not being trusted with the economy.

Add the fact that a Labour majority was impossible given its prospects in Scotland, and the perception that any Labour government would be hostage to the SNP. I suspect that factor has also robbed UKIP of enough votes to keep it from having any meaningful number of seats.
 Election Promises...Read all about it ! Volume 6 - tyro
So basically, people in Scotland deserted Labour because Labour was (through the referendum campaign) associated with the Conservatives.

The prospect of a Labour-SNP government (or a minority Labour government kept in office by the SNP) meant that people in England deserted UKIP (and possibly other parties) to vote Conservative to keep Labour out because Labour was associated with the SNP.

So Labour lost in Scotland because it was associated with the Conservatives, and it lost in England because it was associated with the SNP. Cruel.

But of course it never would have happened if there had not been a referendum, and that never would have happened if Scotland didn't have its own parliament, and that never would have happened if Tony Blair . . .

Ahhh, the irony. Politicians rarely see the consequences of their actions.

Election Promises...Read all about it ! Volume 6 - Duncan
>> So basically, people in Scotland deserted Labour because Labour was (through the referendum >> campaign) associated with the Conservatives.

But, but, The Scottish people voted 55%/45% against independence - didn't they?

Is it simply that the Tories are so toxic in Scotland that anyone standing anywhere near them is also toxic?
 Election Promises...Read all about it ! Volume 6 - sooty123
Just read that the LD have lost 300 deposits at the election. That's bad.

Election Promises...Read all about it ! Volume 6 - Bobby
As a Scot I have mixed feelings.

At the end of the day we are now going to be subjected to another 5 years of Tory, possibly majority government. Tories don't like Scotland and Scotland don't like Tories. If muppet Boris comes in that can only get worse as he publicly states how much he hates the Scots.

Labour are tainted not only by their better together campaign but also going back to Blair etc when they became more right wing. Their campaign in Scotland was a disaster. The previous Scottish leader resigned saying that Scotland was treated as a branch office. Jim Murphy came in and said that he wouldn't be treated like that. Days later Ed Balls said it didn't matter what Jim Murphy said, he wouldn't be writing the budget.

Milliband got this all wrong. He, or his advisers, got the feeling in Scotland totally wrong. Did they really think bringing Eddie Izzard up to Glasgow was going to win them votes? Ed was pushed into a corner - it made perfect sense for Labour and SNP to work together to get rid of the Tories but Ed couldn't work out how to manage that message without affecting middle England. So he ended up stating that he would rather have a Tory parliament than him being PM with SNP in coalition! What a message to put out!

I think taking all political feelings out of it, you have to admire the SNP campaign - what a huge success it was . Nicola handled herself very well in all the debates, the hustings, the interviews and they really "got" what was important in Scotland. Also through lots of my English friends and relatives, and some on here as well, there seems to be a grudging admiration for her and what she has done.

The positive that I am taking out of this is that hopefully this will be a kick up the backside for Labour and Lib Dems to go away and have a long hard look at themselves and see what they actually want to be the party of. Hopefully they decide that the answer is not to try and beat the Tories at their own game but instead offer something completely different.

And now I am away to put my bum on my seat in the office before the SNP win that as well..... :)

Election Promises...Read all about it ! Volume 6 - Ian (Cape Town)
To be honest bobby, had I been voting, the SNP would have been my party of choice, as I agree more with their policies than with any other party's.
However, as I was last registered in Portsmouth, it wasn't going to happen, was it?

Well there is a thought Ian - I wonder if going forward there is the possibility of SNP diluting their independence message and concentrating more on their social and left wing message and taking that down to England?? Even just the North for starters?

Election Promises...Read all about it ! Volume 6 - Roger.
Many voters in England were quite obviously scared of Labour being ruled by the hard, hard, left SNP.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 8 May 15 at 10:21

But Roger the reality is that Labour is closer to Tories that it is to SNP. So the chances are that any votes that they needed help to carry, they would probably have got it from the Tories anyway.

SNP and Labour were never going to agree on the Trident issue, not in a million years. But the Tories would have worked with Labour to get that one through.

Labour's problem is that they were not any good at differentiating themselves from Tories so if they want to be so like them, then why would Tory voters not just vote for the Tory candidate? I personally don't think the SNP factor hindered the Labour vote in England. Yeah it might have swayed a few voters but not to the extent that folks were losing their seats over. Labour lost this because of Ed Milliband and Labour.

And of course, the overall winner for the umpteenth time is of course Rupert Murdoch.

Election Promises...Read all about it ! Volume 6 - Ian (Cape Town)
Why are scottish nationalists such logical people, while english nationalists are beer-swilling NF types? makes you think...

Election Promises...Read all about it ! Volume 6 - commerdriver
>> Why are scottish nationalists such logical people
>>
You really think so?
A number of respectable consumate politicians, including wee Nicola
but a substantial number of streetwise chancers and a smattering of chip on the shoulder, anti English thugs

>> Well there is a thought Ian - I wonder if going forward there is the
>> possibility of SNP diluting their independence message and concentrating more on their social and left
>> wing message and taking that down to England?? Even just the North for starters?

The romans were right all along. Lets get some irish and polish labourers up there to rebuilt the wall.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 8 May 15 at 10:10

Most of the Polish have gone back to Poland now! Weren't we due ten trillion Bulgarians instead?

Election Promises...Read all about it ! Volume 6 - commerdriver
I suspect with the euphoria north of the border it could well get rebuilt from the northern side
 Election Promises...Read all about it ! Volume 6 - Duncan
Question for any Scots on here.

A man/woman in the street response please. Why do you think the SNP has caught the Scot's imagination? Scotland was never going to go Tory, but why such a swing away from Labour?

Why did you vote SNP?

Election Promises...Read all about it ! Volume 6 - Old Navy
>>Scotland was never going to go Tory, but why such a swing
>> away from Labour?

Labour shot themselves in the foot by teaming up with the Tories during the referendum, the Tory toxicity in Scotland is obviously contageous.

Remember a Westminster election is a different animal to a referendum or Scottish government election.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 8 May 15 at 08:58
Latest Forum Posts