Non-motoring > Sky in another room question?? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 5

Sky in another room question?? - nice but dim
At my parents house they have sky tv upstairs. From looking they have a cable from the tv out from the sky box and routes outside, up the brickwork and back in just under the window. I'm looking for a similar setup at mine, so what ever is on downstairs tv can be watched upstairs (i.e you can see them flicking through the tv guide too!). I refuse to pay £10 per month for multiroom extra and was looking to strike a deal with an off duty Sky installer?

Any experience or ideas?
Last edited by: nice but dim on Sun 18 Jul 10 at 19:34
 Sky in another room question?? - mikeyb
Its easy enough to do - all it is is a coax cable run from the box. Think you have to have a play around in the menu settings to turn the second output on. If you want to be a bit more sophisticated then they sell a device called a magic eye. It's a little infra red receiver that you sit by the second TV and it controld the source box - works quite well.
 Sky in another room question?? - rtj70
If you're only after standard definition then using the RF Out of Sky box to another room is easy. Using the Sky Magic Eye the remote can be used in the other room too - it sends the remote signal down the coax.

Alternatives are 'digi senders' to beam the output to another room and can even send the remote signal back. About £30 outlay and no cables then needed. But these use the SCART output and might that be turned off if using an HDMI cable?

Sky in another room question?? - bathtub tom
I've done this for a friend, the instructions were in the book. There were several spare co-ax sockets on the back of the box.

The slave receives exactly what's on the main. Unfortunately in this case the slave was 4:3 and the main was widescreen!

Sky in another room question?? - VxFan
>> The slave receives exactly what's on the main. Unfortunately in this case the slave was
>> 4:3 and the main was widescreen!

You can go into the settings and individually set up each output to what screen size you like. If you're in the room with the 4:3 setting then the box knows this and changes the output picture size accordingly. The problem comes when you want to watch Sky in 2 separate rooms at the same time. Whichever room presses a button on the remote will in turn switch the picture setting from 16:9 to 4:3 or vice versa.
 Sky in another room question?? - Robbie34
The most effective way is to have a quad lnb fitted to the dish and a lead taken from it into the bedroom. Get another Sky box - you can pick a used box up very cheaply - and a Freesat from Sky card for £25. Any one in the bedroom can watch any channel they choose without interfering with the viewer downstairs.

You can put the subscription card into the box upstairs, but you won't get the movies or sport as the card is married to the one box.
Latest Forum Posts