Non-motoring > Leicester City..... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Haywain Replies: 43

Leicester City..... - Haywain
Just raising a glass of 'Highland Park' to Claudio and the boys - please join me!
 Leicester City..... - NortonES2
Got an Everards Tiger just in case. Now nearly finished… Pity couldn't get the Original. Here's to the Globe in Leicester where I used to have a couple. Any more and I'd fall over.
 Leicester City..... - No FM2R
Bloody well done.
 Leicester City..... - Pat
Couldn't manage to stay up last night to get the result but what excellent news this morning.

There will be a few sore heads in my family back home today!

Pat
 Leicester City..... - Duncan
Why should we be celebrating?

Shouldn't we be commiserating with
Tottenham
Arsenal
Manchester
West Ham
Southampton
and so on?
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 3 May 16 at 23:14
 Leicester City..... - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Why should we be celebrating?
>>
>> Shouldn't we be commiserating with
>>
Not really.
Leicester did very well with very few resources compared to other clubs.
In fact, a fraction of the resources of the Chelseas, Man Cities etc.
A wake-up call for a lot of footballers - hopefully clubs will now tell these overpaid yobs to pull a finger out... how can Leicester win the League, while you lot aren't even qualifying for Europe next season...
 Leicester City..... - Focusless
>> >> Shouldn't we be commiserating with
>>
>> Not really.
>> Leicester did very well with very few resources compared to other clubs.

5000-1 outsiders to win the title at the start of the season, favourites to be relegated!

We love an underdog.
 Leicester City..... - Ian (Cape Town)
Just read a fascinating fact: Man Utd have spent more on buying players in the past 2 years than Leicester spent in their entire history!
"Got an Everards Tiger just in case."

I started the evening with an Everards Tiger, but had finished it by the time the Chelski game kicked off. I've got a few more though for the celebratory lunch - which will feature Red Leicester cheese, Stilton, Melton Mowbray pork pie and Walkers crisps. I suppose I'll have to balance that with some healthy stuff as well.

I still haven't seen Claudio???
>> Red Leicester cheese, Stilton, Melton Mowbray pork pie and Walkers crisps.<<

Can I come pleeeeease!

I'll bring the fresh Pork Crackling they used to have on the bar on Sunday lunchtime at Skeffington pub:)

Pat
 Leicester City..... - NortonES2
Sounds good!
 Leicester City..... - Alanovich
It makes a change and all that, but there is a fair way to go before they match Nottingham Forest's achievements under Clough, IMHO. I know there is more money in the game now, and arguably the competition is stronger, but at the time the English game was totally dominated by one club, yet Forest won the league immediately after promotion, won 4 League Cups and two European Cups.
 Leicester City..... - Robin O'Reliant
>> It makes a change and all that, but there is a fair way to go
>> before they match Nottingham Forest's achievements under Clough, IMHO.
>>

I'll correct you there, Forest won nothing under Clough, in fact they were relegated. The double act of Clough and Taylor were responsible for Notts Forest's success and rather like the Beatles either one on their own was nothing more than average, but together the whole was greater than the sum of the parts.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Tue 3 May 16 at 15:43
 Leicester City..... - Alanovich
By the time they were relegated Clough was broken by the drink, but I'll grant you that Taylor no doubt was a crucial partner in the success of Forest at the time.
 Leicester City..... - tyrednemotional
.....I do hope all you "plastic" Leicester fans didn't get rodent-bottomed last night........
 Leicester City..... - CGNorwich
What odds can you get on Leicester being relegated next year?
>> What odds can you get on Leicester being relegated next year?
>>

...which proves there is always someone waiting to burst your bubble:)

Pat
"What odds can you get on Leicester being relegated next year?"

What odds can you get on Norwich being relegated this year?

;-)
 Leicester City..... - fluffy
It was 5000-1 for Leicester to win the Premier League.
Seven to one on.
>> What odds can you get on Leicester being relegated next year?
>>

One of the major bookmakers (Ladbrokes I think) emailed all there staff this morning to say that the maximum odds offered on sporting events were now capped at 1000/1. The industry took a 3 million quid hit last night.
 Leicester City..... - helicopter
3 million pound hit eh.....In the words of the Sergeant Major ....

Oh dear, how sad, never mind....

Serves 'em right :-)
"The industry took a 3 million quid hit last night."

Well they paid out £3M on Leicester winning which is not quite the same. I'm sure that they will have made an overall profit on their football betting. They will be very shy of telling the overall results of their book though.

It is not outsiders winning that worries bookies, it is the favourite winning that can cost them money if their book is unbalanced although normally they will make money whoever wins.

In fact they love an outsider to win. They make lots of money and the papers are full of free publicity telling the world how people have won a fortune for the outlay of a few pounds
>> >>
>> Well they paid out £3M on Leicester winning which is not quite the same. I'm
>> sure that they will have made an overall profit on their football betting. They will
>> be very shy of telling the overall results of their book though.
>>
>>
>>
That's what I would have thought too, but they reckon they made a loss. Probably not much overall though.
"Alex Donohue, who handles Ladbrokes’ football PR, acknowledged this point on Tuesday. “It’s a falsehood if any bookie says they have lost money overall on Leicester,” Donohue said on Twitter. “£3m is a record net payout for a title winner, but we did well out of Leicester upsetting the odds to get there. No complaints at all.”

Interesting article
www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/03/5000-1-outsider-leicester-city-bookmakers

Don't weep for the bookies. They always win!
"I do hope all you "plastic" Leicester fans......"

I wuz down at Filbert Street before plastic wuz invented!
Someone who put £20 on Leicester at the start of the season was on course to collect £100,000 but cashed his bet in a month ago for 29k.

Wonder how he feels now?
 Leicester City..... - smokie
Sounds like Deal or No Deal...
 Leicester City..... - Duncan
>> Sounds like Deal or No Deal...
>>

The deals offered in Deal Or No Deal are based on very sound mathematical principles.

(Does that sound like Fluffy?)
 Leicester City..... - devonite
Couple of fun things! -
The "old" Blue Champs created "new" Blue Champs.

Several Chelsea players and most of the fans wanted us to "do it for Ranieri", but only JT ever played under his management at Chelsea, and he said he did it for personal reasons, it was a London Derby, TH had never won at the bridge for 29 yrs and he didn't want that record to go on his watch on probably the last time he will play them at Chelsea.

Yesterday, Chelsea probably had the biggest fan-base in the U.K, TH, the smallest!

First-time since PL began that a team has won it twice in successive seasons but only been crowned once!

Eden Hazard (Chelsea's best player?) has only scored three times for Chelsea this season, yet he wins the League for Leicester.

The "new" Champs are also from a city beginning with "L".

probably plenty more?........
 Leicester City..... - Armel Coussine
I posted a four-line piece of doggerel (it would be pretentious to call it a quatrain) in this thread I think, but I can't find it.

Does someone in authority here find such stuff irritating? I do myself, but I can't help producing it. It's a habit.

So here it is again:

Above the players' wittering
The manager's voice is heard
As they trample around in a car park
On the bones of Richard III
"Above the players' wittering"

Get with it, AC; these days, players don't witter, they Twitter. ;-)
 Leicester City..... - Armel Coussine
Is there a difference?
"Is there a difference?"

Only in as much as with one of them, you use your thumbs.
 Leicester City..... - PhilW
A colleague texted me to say that his mate (who I don't know ) had won £120,000 on his bet on City at beginning of season! Of course that is 3rd hand so not sure how true.
Also, Mark Selby (of Leicester) won the World Snooker thing last night, and on Saturday I was at Tigers v Worcester to see them win and guarantee a place in the Rugby playoffs. Someone tells me the county cricket team ain't doing too badly also.
Good days for sport in Leicestershire! And the pork pies are good!
"Good days for sport in Leicestershire!"

And, of course, no one has thought to mention Coalville Town (The Ravens) who won the Evostik Div 1 S playoffs to gain promotion to the Evostik Northern Premier (i.e. step 4 to step 3 non-league). www.evostikleague.co.uk/congratulations-to-coalville-town-30703

Leicester City winning is a good day for the country as a whole.

Well done Leicester City for winning the Premier League.
 Leicester City..... - PhilW
"And, of course, no one has thought to mention"...........................
Leicester Riders (basketball), through to the final playoff for something at O2 arena next week............
BBL Play-off final apparently.
Was interested to hear today that whole Leicester City squad cost less than half what Man City paid for de Bruyne (?)
I could not agree with you more.

I will say it again, well done LEICESTER CITY.
newsthump.com/2016/05/03/labour-party-celebrates-jewish-clubs-failure-to-win-league/
 Leicester City..... - Boxsterboy
I was offered a ticket to Chelsea Tottenham last night but couldn't make it. It looks like the Tottenham players certainly brought all their handbags with them!

This is a fantastic result for sport, but especially football and shows just how overpaid so many footballers are. I wonder how many clubs will have the balls to reduce their wages to a results-basis though. Not many I'll bet (at 5,000-1).
 Leicester City..... - Ted

Congrats to Leicester on the win...he said, grudgingly. Our big night tomorrow at the Bernabau in Madrid. Not holding my breath though.

Congrats also to Burnley for promotion to the Premiership....again !
 Leicester City..... - henry k
Motoring link...

Another reward.

"Sportsmail understands ( all 30) players would receive the same vehicle - a Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive. The on-road price for the car is £32,670,"

I wonder what the story is behind this choice of car and the players response.
Will Ebay soon be busy :-)

Leicester City..... - VxFan
>> "Sportsmail understands ( all 30) players would receive the same vehicle - a Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive....

But must take turns in sharing it ;)
Latest Forum Posts