Non-motoring > PIR for bathroom LEDs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 10

PIR for bathroom LEDs - smokie
SWMBO wants the centre light replaced in the bathroom. She wants downlighters like we have in the hall. These would be LED.

If I wanted to avoid the pull cord would it take a special PIR switch to switch them on? I'm looking one like this www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360-Degree-Recess-Mounted-PIR-Sensor-White-IP20-Activates-Indoor-Lights-/131773432802 which ideally may replace the centre rose.

This particular one has up to 8 minutes of inactivity before it turns off and appears to be bathroom compatible.

How would one decide how many lights of what size were needed to give a good light? It's not a big room (about 2.2m x 2.5m). I know I can google this but someone here probably has practical experience.

Or does anyone have any better ideas for bathroom lighting? (The ceiling is Artexed but I'd be happy to have someone skim it if necessary).

(I use a PIR to turn on the garage lights and it does work really well)
 PIR for bathroom LEDs - Bromptonaut
I'd be chary of PIRs in a bathroom. Particularly if you can be plunged into total darkness.

Lost count of number of times I risked pi**ing on my shoes 'cos lights went out on washrooms at MoJ HQ. Even had them go out in a conference room with 28 people listening attentively to a visiting speaker.
 PIR for bathroom LEDs - No FM2R
Agree with Bromp.

Seemingly not intolerable, but I reckon it'd drive you nuts over time.

>>(I use a PIR to turn on the garage lights and it does work really well)

I cannot think of many reasons you would be immobile in the garage so I;d guess it would never be an issue.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 5 May 16 at 13:43
 PIR for bathroom LEDs - WillDeBeest
Carbon monoxide?
};---)

Even the, erm, older gentleman should be able to do the necessary within eight minutes, I'd have thought, so shoes should be safe. Might be more of a problem if you were immobile in the bath or shower after dark; eight minutes doesn't seem all that long for that.
 PIR for bathroom LEDs - smokie
Good point, I could try to find one with a longer delay.

Neither of us spend more than 8 minutes doing anything at the moment, except SWMBO has a lazy bath occasionally. So I guess an over-ride of some sort could be the answer (or just wave yer arms about it bit...).

I missing the point of your reference to carbon monoxide WdB...?

As an aside, my next door neighbour is a plumber and came in to service my boiler yesterday. All was fine except the understair cupboard light, which switches on when you open the door. He said that's a big no-no these days, the theory being that as the gas meter is there, if there was a leak and I opened the door to look at the meter, kaboom!!
>>I missing the point of your reference to carbon monoxide WdB.

A reference to my comment about being immobile in the garage, I think.

>>, if there was a leak and I opened the door to look at the meter

A major issue. If someone walks past your house and reports a gas leak, what do the gas company do? If they knock on your door and you turn on a light you may go boom. If they turn off your power and then knock on your door, you might strike a light and go boom; its an issue.

In fact they sneak up to your door and measure the gas inside through the letter box. Gas only goes boom within a fairly narrow band of concentrations.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 5 May 16 at 14:03
 PIR for bathroom LEDs - Ambo
In my case, they close off the whole street and call in various vehicles and men with meters several million times as sensitive than the human nose (I think they said). They search and certify that I am wrong. They pack up and re-open the street but the last man to leave stops, sniffs the air and says, "You're right, there *is* a leak!".

When the early 19C service pipewas dug up it's section was found to be perfectly sound at the top but thinning to the bottom, where there was no sign of metal at all. The gas was being held in by the clay in which the pipe ran.

(I excepted to be cursed by the neighbours for the inconvenience but in fact they thanked me.)

Good for you. Too many people leave difficult or inconvenient stuff to others.
 PIR for bathroom LEDs - henry k
I have lost count of the number of times I have called the gas board out to fix leaks.
I always drive with the car windows closed and SWMBO is amazed when I smell a gas leak in the road as I drive by.

I called the lads out when I smelled a gas leak three floors up in a building at Heathrow.
When I was not in the building they called and declared " No leak. Not possible as there is no gas used in the building"
I called them out again. Eventually one of the lads said he thought he could smell gas.
Eventually they found a leak in the basement where there was a capped off main.

Many years ago I identified a gas leak under the floor in or present house.
Turned off the gas, cut off the redundant supply to upstairs. unscrewed the remaining stub and capped it. I guess it wound be a serious offence to do it today.
i certainly would not do any work on gas stuff today.
 PIR for bathroom LEDs - Mapmaker
>>Turned off the gas, cut off the redundant supply to upstairs. unscrewed the remaining stub and capped it. I guess it wound be a serious offence to do it today.

DIY gas work is perfectly legal.
 PIR for bathroom LEDs - RichardW

>>
>> In fact they sneak up to your door and measure the gas inside through the
>> letter box. Gas only goes boom within a fairly narrow band of concentrations.
>>

4.4 - 17% by volume. It would be stinking by the time it got to 4.4, and physically intolerable by the time it got to 17%! The stenching agent is added at only a few ppm.
Latest Forum Posts