Non-motoring > Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 59

Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - sherlock47
Any suggestions please from satisfied domestic supervisors please.

SWMBO seems to destroy cleaners - I am not fan of Dyson - to me they are over priced and overhyped.

Airflow rotating brushes never seem to work and I spend my life dis-assembling, removing clag and re-assembling it!

She fancies a battery operated Bosch - my view is that it will not run for the advertised 60mins and will have inadequate suck.

House is 80% carpet short pile and 20% engineered wood and tiles.

Suggestions please.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Manatee
We used to buy Panasonic uprights, still have one I clean the cars with but they stopped making them a year or two back - probably because they latterly had a 1900W motor. They only lasted 5 or 6 years but they were only £60 or so!

Daughter last year bought a Miele C3 cylinder type, and it works very well. The cat and dog one I think, because there was a deal on it, although she has no pets.

We have always gone for the uprights with the beaters but the Miele works really well as I can attest personally (just testing of course).

I know you don't like Dysons, or at least the price, but the best deal round here is at the local tip. There's a charity shop for unwanted stuff and they sell second hand Dysons, many of them not very second hand by the look of them. People chuck them out when they are basically bunged up because they can't be bothered to read the instructions and empty them/clean the filters properly. The shop people fix them up and knock them out for about 15-20% of the new price.

They swear there was nothing wrong with most of them. I can believe it. We've had a Dyson DC25 ball thing for a good few years now, bought half price on a staff deal; it's OK, but you do have to be a bit of a James May to empty it properly and reassemble it. On the one occasion I did it I couldn't figure it out without the Manuel.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 2 Jun 16 at 15:26
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - neiltoo
>On the one occasion I
>> did it I couldn't figure it out without the Manuel.
>>

That would be the spaniard in the works.

8o)
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Manatee
She's from Halifax actually!
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Dog
>>She fancies a battery operated Bosch - my view is that it will not run for the advertised 60mins and will have inadequate suck.

The reviews on this model appear to be favourable:

www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-BCH625KTGB-Upright-Cordless-Cleaner/dp/B00K8S68K0#Ask

They also do a 'ProAnimal' version for 200 quid.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Focusless
>> Airflow rotating brushes never seem to work

We went from an upright with beaters to a cylinder without. The floors here are mostly laminates, but our next place has carpets, and I'm definitely going to be getting something with beaters for that. The cylinder is hard work on anything soft.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - No FM2R
Dysons are certainly over priced, but I don't think they are over hyped. Very good for a long time, is my experience. Although as mentioned you do have to be somewhat practical to keep the things clear.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 2 Jun 16 at 15:43
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Old Navy
We have a "Henry", a bit industrial, but it has survived Mrs ON's best efforts to kill it. If she had any success spare parts are easily available. She killed our Miele.

www.henryvacs.co.uk

Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 2 Jun 16 at 15:51
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - R.P.
Miele any day of the week.
www.amazon.co.uk/Miele-Dynamic-Allergy-Power-watts/dp/B00KGVK0A8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1464878602&sr=8-2&keywords=miele+upright+vacuum+cleaner

Nearest equivalent to the one we've got. The cleaner says it's the best in the business.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - devonite
The "Mrs" replaced our perfectly working but noisy Hoover (2000W) for a 1200W Dirt Devil, now she spends three-times as long Vacuuming, complains about it, and I've got more suck with a straw! - smaller motors are (in my mind) uneconomical, just as noisy, and a waste of time. - Don't get one!!
Last edited by: devonite on Thu 2 Jun 16 at 16:21
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Westpig
I have found a shop that re-furbs older Dysons.

For £75 you can get a Dyson that is well cleaned up, with a new motor in it.

We have 2.

I tried buying a newer Dyson, it was very expensive and didn't do the job the older one did, so I sent it back and got a refund.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Skip
We have an upright Dyson and a Henry & that seems to cover most bases.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Falkirk Bairn
VAX are roughly £50-£100 - do the job - we had the last one 12 years - not the best but Excellent Value for money.

Keep it until it falls over and buy another - parts & repairman costs are too expensive to warrant a repair.
>> VAX are roughly £50-£100 - do the job ...

+1

eg.
www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2620110.htm
(not got one but that's the sort of thing I'd go for if buying one today)

EDIT: and if you follow the link you get the opportunity to chat with a nice looking young lady who's 'happy to help' :)
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 2 Jun 16 at 16:36
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Harleyman
>> VAX are roughly £50-£100 - do the job - we had the last one 12
>> years - not the best but Excellent Value for money.
>>
>> Keep it until it falls over and buy another - parts & repairman costs are
>> too expensive to warrant a repair.
>>

Vax here too; an old "cylinder" type for rough stuff like removing ash from around the fireplace and the nooks and crannies of my man-cave, and an upright one for the "posher" areas of Castle Harleyman. Copes very well with cat hairs too, we have three of the beasts.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Ted

I despair, Sherlock. How can this matter be of any concern to the man of the house. Just let her go and get what she fancies, then there's no comeback on you when it fails to work/ suck or is too heavy.
I stopped having any interest or input into domestic appliance affairs years ago....life has been a lot easier for me !

I could start a shop in the garage. I have, stored in there, A breadmaker, yogurt maker, ice-cream maker, etc. She gave the Nutra-bullet to our daughter. We have 6 vacs atm. The Henry now looks after the workshop and there's a little Dirt Devil in the caravan. The others are in the hovel.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - WillDeBeest
What sort of breadmaker is it, Ted? Not a Panasonic SD253, by any chance?

What about this....possibly no good for stairs though

s479.photobucket.com/user/1400ted/media/Vacuum/Vacuum.jpg.html?o=0

WdB...Don't know...will have a look next time I look in the garage.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - sajid
i have a sebo x4 pet, upright you get 5 year warranty, has 6 litre disposable bag, very easy to maintain, and sturdy.

For cylindters a miele, i have a revolution 5000 bought in 2005 still working, was top of the range had a electrobrush, very versatile, as you got the best of both worlds, with the electrobrush it can act as a upright.

When i was shopping for a upright i looked at the miele upright, it was too bulky and heavier than the sebo.

Which? have recommended miele, bosch and sebo as the best

Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Haywain
"Which? have recommended miele, bosch and sebo as the best "

Our Sebo upright lasted for 18yrs before it became a bit of a 'Trigger's broom', then my wife insisted that we replace it with a Sebo cylinder model. Both are excellent though, when forced, I prefered to use the upright job.
>> I could start a shop in the garage. I have, stored in there, A breadmaker,
>> yogurt maker, ice-cream maker, etc. She gave the Nutra-bullet to our daughter.

Ditto, but in the cupboard under the stairs here !! I wonder how many Nutra Bullets That were bought at Christmas (the "must have" apparently) are still being used.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - No FM2R
What is a nutra bullet?
www.nutribullet.com/

Fancy (= expensive) blender
Last edited by: Focusless on Thu 2 Jun 16 at 17:34
See also Spiralizer. Anybody admitting to buying one of those?

Spiralthingy....Sounds familiar....I think she has one !
>> See also Spiralizer. Anybody admitting to buying one of those?
>>

I haven't seen one here - yet but I will try and make some room under the stairs as I am sure that it is only a matter of time !
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Armel Coussine
We've had a Henry for ages. It was cheap and has a powerful motor.

It's easy to neglect changing the dust container. Much better to do it often although the new containers aren't exactly free... When the dust-bag is choked the machine starts to make a more stressed noise, as well it should... it's a grotty business.

Cleaning, who needs it? Tchah!
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Runfer D'Hills
My wife has a Henry, but I've never let that come between us.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - mikeyb
Dyson upright here. No idea what model, but does the job, and I remember we had it in our old house so it must be over 10 years old
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Bromptonaut
>> Dyson upright here.

Same - for upstairs which is carpeted. Was my Mother's, she swore it was FUBAR and had got my sister to order a replacement. I was supposed to take it to the tip.

Checking it found a paper/fluff obstruction just short of the dirt cup. Remove that, washed the filter and removed the stuff caught round the brush.Good as new.

Five years on it does fine.

Also got a Bosch parquet master for the laminate/lino downstairs.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Thu 2 Jun 16 at 20:23
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Cliff Pope
>> We've had a Henry for ages. It was cheap and has a powerful motor.
>>

Same here. Hooray for Henry!

(You can get them with different names in different colours)

It's just occured to me to wonder why they don't sell extension snakes, to save trying to balance the hoover precariously on the stairs?
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - stan10
Bought my Miele Cat and Dog must be oh - 14 years or so ago.
Didn't have cat or dog at the time, but i think there was a deal. (The cat and dog bit turned out to be an extra "super dooper" brush head)

Eventually got a dog, so thought i should at last, give the extra head a go, result, couldn't see any extra performance over the standard head, (which is more than good enough)

Only thing gone wrong has been the banana shaped plastic connection from the hose to the body, which split across the inside of the curve about two years ago. Quite likely due to me habitually carrying it around by the hose, instead of the built in handle on the body,

Replaced in a flash, with a genuine part from here (also where i get new bags from, and i have no connection)
www.espares.co.uk/

My brother has had Dyson for a number of years, during a discussion (like this one !) he stated "Dyson is brilliant, excellent customer service", i said "how do you know?" "Everytime something goes wrong a replacement part arrives post haste, no questions asked"
I said "you mean it keeps breaking down?"
Eventually i asked how many times it had gone wrong - answer "about half a dozen" (effectively 2-3 times a year)

I have no idea how good Miele's customer service is because i have never needed it.

P.S. if you want a powerful Vac, get it quickly - i read recently that the EU is going to force a reduction in power.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - riddler

I have a Miele cylinder vac as well. Excellent piece of kit. If you buy replacement bags & filters direct from Miele they will send you offers via email of 20% etc off purchases from them. I find that this works out a lot cheaper than buying from other places and you get the genuine replacements.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - slowdown avenue
henry does the job easy to live with suits me. had a tradesman in once who had one that was supper quite, said he had it modified by a dealer
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Focal Point
Henry every time.

Totally peed off with Dyson - spent all my time cleaning it out, washing or cleaning filters - utter waste of time.

Upright Electrolux - far too heavy, a pain to use on stairs, power lead far too short.

The Henry we now have just keeps working. No fuss, just does the job.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Thu 2 Jun 16 at 22:29
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - legacylad
I've still got a Henry that's about 12/15 yo. Used it commercially when I was 'in trade' both at work and for cleaning the van out several times a week. The bristles wear out on the brushes and the bags are dirt cheap online.
Three years ago I bought a Gtech cordless, and on carpets it picks up better than the Henry. Fabulous piece of kit & worth every penny of the £199 I paid. Needs emptying frequently but that's the only minus point. Three friends with Gtechs agree with me.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - bathtub tom
I understood Sebo were the best, but a faff to lug up and down stairs.

I bought a Miele yonks ago and it's fine.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Stuartli
>> I understood Sebo were the best, but a faff to lug up and down stairs.

I bought a Miele yonks ago and it's fine.>>

Had a Sebo X1 for around 12 or 13 years. Brilliant, although a bit heavy. But it's built to last and from every aspect of design and function.

Probably good for another 12 or 13 years or more...:-)
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - CGNorwich
We have a Miele and a Henry. The first for general cleaning and th second for the car, clearing up after DIY and cleaning up the greenhouse.

Both are good in their own way. The Miele is beautifully engineered with every thing fitting together so well and being extremely quiet in operation. The BMW of vacuums.

The Henry is much less refined. No self winding lead, the pipe screws on rather than snaps on like the Miele and the tools rather than being contained onboard in a concealed compartment come in a cheap plastic bag. It does do the job though and it was a third of the price of the Miele. Somehow a very British solution to design.

Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 6 Jun 16 at 20:02
...BMW of vacuums...

No indicators either. (Thought I'd better get that in before anyone else did.)

Yes, we have one too. A red one.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Dog
=> Miele

We've got a blue one.

Just saying.

8-)
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - henry k
Sebo X1 plus a long extension tube for the stairs.
Well thought out and good engineering.
The easily removeable, with out the need for tools, brush was a real plus in our hosehold.
When daughter with long hair was here I always had to take out the brush, just a press button, and cut off the hair wound around the brush.
Changing bags is a clean job. Flick the lever, pop on a bag bung, slide out the bag and bin it.

WdB....No, not even a Panasonic...let alone wot you arxed.

The Henry, which I use for workshop/car/diy, has been sans bag for years. I find it sucks a lot more powerfully. It's performance died off a bit a few weeks ago so I washed and scrubbed the filter and it's fine now.

I don't see the need for a bag, it restricts the suck, you just take the top off and empty it's bowels into the wheely bin....simples !
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - henry k
I have only seen a Henry when used by visiting "workmen" and they always operated it without a bag. I guess it was cost saving as they sucked up all sorts of crud.
Until this thread I had assumed Henrys were bagless.

Never mind, Ted - thanks for looking. The vital motor, heater and programmer parts of my SD253 are still sound, but the pan and paddle are looking tired, so I'm looking for another machine for parts. There must be thousands of little-used ones out there.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Looking for recommendations - Cliff Pope

>> When daughter with long hair was here I always had to take out the brush,
>> just a press button, and cut off the hair wound around the brush.

I've never seen hairdressers use that method before. It sounds easy - just suck up the hair to the required length and then snip it off. :)
 Vacuum Cleaners - Dyson rotating brush - busbee
I have a Dyson V6, 6 months old. £300 list price, was 250 in Tesco with a £50 voucher --- I spent on groceries. It is very much over-priced but it does work well -- I don't have any hairy animals.

The rotating brush is motor driven, powered by two wires down the straight tube to a 2-pin, built-in plug that goes into a socket on the brush tool. Much better than relying on being suction driven.

The battery holds enough charge to clean about 600 square feet of carpet as long as it is on only while actually using it and you really get a move on -- has a spring loaded trigger switch. But if you press the button on the end of the motor for high power, you have a few seconds, but that does shift things. Its dirt capacity is small so it is more for upkeep of a fairly clean place rather that a messy one.

I have 3 other cleaners, that I have not used since I got it. It really does clean and you get used to doing one job at a time and putting it on charge for another time.

It blows the air out sideways, each side, that I am not too keen on, because of breathing it. Afterwards, you can feel like you have the hay fever you never had. A dust mask is a good idea --- my lungs are a bit sensitive.

My grand daughter visited me and was so fascinated by it, she cleaned several rooms for me just for the fun.

Yes it does block up just inside the suction entrance --- no tool connected. A dodgy bit of design by having a partial obstruction across the intake hole, but it only blocked once in six months. The motor then hunts on and off. I thought it was because the charger had failed and was on my way back to the shop !

Vacuum Cleaners - Dyson rotating brush - Falkirk Bairn
>>I have a Dyson V6, 6 months old. £300 list price, It is very much over-priced but it does work well.

Agreed it works well 20 mins without the floor attachment - 4/5 mins with the beater.
Great on stairs & the odd spill but you still need a mains powered jobby once a week.

Well made, does a job but the "battery life" technology needs to be improved. £190 from Costco.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Dyson rotating brush - madf
Which recommend Miele C3 pets.. top rated..
Last edited by: madf on Tue 7 Jun 16 at 16:51
 Vacuum Cleaners - Dyson rotating brush - Old Navy
Little wonder battery cars are not much use in the real world if a hoover only runs for 20 minutes.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Dyson rotating brush - Dog
My cordless Hoover hoover runs for 30 minutes.

Just saying, like.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Dyson rotating brush - maltrap
We bought the Which best buy a Miele, a load of carp. Looks nice, well built but no good at vacuuming. Much prefer our old Electrolux upright (bagless) Would also highly recommend Numatics Henry & Henrietta models, simple design but very efficient been around for about 30 years which says something.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Dyson rotating brush - Manatee
>> We bought the Which best buy a Miele, a load of carp.

In what way, not picking up?

Daughter bought one that I have used...it seemed to work very well, and very quietly - I've hated the noise of vacuum cleaners all my life, I think I must have been terrorised by one as a baby.

What I disliked was the effort involved on carpet, because of the head sucking itself to the floor. I wouldn't recommend one for a frail person. Far easier to trundle an upright on an expanse of carpeted floor.
>> What I disliked was the effort involved on carpet, because of the head sucking itself
>> to the floor.

My cleaner advises me they there is a sliding device on the handle which admits air and reduces the "suck power".
 Vacuum Cleaners - Dyson rotating brush - henry k
>> My cleaner advises me they there is a sliding device on the handle which admits
>> air and reduces the "suck power".
>>
A talking vacuum cleaner ?

So it has a sort of crude turbo waste gate ?
>> So it has a sort of crude turbo waste gate ?
>>

Hmmm, it does have Mrs ON's brain as a controller.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Dyson rotating brush - Stuartli
>>My cleaner advises me they there is a sliding device on the handle which admits air and reduces the "suck power".>>

Same for Bosch cylinder models but, in our case, it's adjusted in circular form where the main extension section is attached.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Dyson rotating brush - WillDeBeest
What I disliked was the effort involved on carpet, because of the head sucking itself to the floor.

The Miele has a lever on the main head that raises or lowers a spacer to prevent exactly this.
 Vacuum Cleaners - Dyson rotating brush - Manatee
It does, I still thought it was a good workout!
Latest Forum Posts