Non-motoring > A question for Runfer... Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 20

A question for Runfer... - No FM2R
Or anyone else from Scotland...

Why did the Scots vote differently and so much more in favour?

Is the attitude to the issues different? Are they less scared of foreigners? Less impressed by Farage and the other liars?

What made the difference?

(Mods, I have deliberately not put this in the referendum thread because I am just interested in the Scottish perspective, not the rights and wrongs. Your tolerance would be appreciated)
 A question for Runfer... - Old Navy
The SNP campaigned hard for an in vote, the other political parties are a non event here at the moment and were no real opposition. The economics of independence were the SNPs downfall in the last referendum and the Scots are aware of the implications.

All just my opinion. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 29 Jun 16 at 18:00
 A question for Runfer... - Runfer D'Hills
I think it's quite an ancient mindset. You may have heard of the "Auld Alliance" ? Scotland has been trading internationally for a very long time. At the time of the "difficulties" with England they traded freely with France.

There, rightly or wrongly, is still a strong view that England, the English, and in particular Westminster, cares little for Scottish issues and that being part of a larger more international group is healthy.

Edinburgh ( my home city ) has long been multicultural, inclusive, a centre of education, a champion of the arts and business, and in particular finance. We ( they ) are very used to a fluid population and workforce and recognise that as a small country, they would suffer from international isolation.

I've been talking to a lot of my Scottish friends about the referendum and the fallout. Many of those did not want to separate from the UK when asked in their independence referendum, but now feel strongly that England is further away from them than the rest of Europe and that they need to find a way of remaining connected to the EU.
 A question for Runfer... - No FM2R
>>n particular Westminster, cares little for Scottish issues

I think that's true.

The fact that the 'English' media has little concern for Scottish issues is a significant part of that problem. But then I'm not sure how much Westminster really cares about anything north of the Watford Gap.

Were there significant differences in how different parts of the Scottish population voted/ businessmen / young / old / left wing / right wing / etc etc?
 A question for Runfer... - Robin O'Reliant
Leaving the UK might mean going it alone for a long time to come -

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/29/nicola-sturgeons-hopes-of-keeping-scotland-in-eu-dashed-by-spani/
 A question for Runfer... - sooty123
Another forum I'm on, some claim to have voted tactically, they would prefer to leave the eu, however they voted to stay hoping England would vote to leave. This gave them the best chance of a second referendum and another chance of independence. How wide spread that was i don't know?
>> Another forum I'm on, some claim to have voted tactically, they would prefer to leave the eu, however they voted to stay hoping England would vote to leave.

I belive that was the SNPs plan.
I don't know the demographic break down of the vote I'm sorry. I guess that information is, or will be available. All I can tell you is that some who voted to remain in the uk last time say they would vote to leave it if there were another Scottish referendum now. Their view may of course change as the debate continues.
 A question for Runfer... - Armel Coussine
>> The fact that the 'English' media has little concern for Scottish issues

The word 'media' is plural not singular.

Honestly FMR I thought you would know that. I hated Latin at school but they used to hit me, so I learned a little bit.

:o}
On reflection, I am probably the wrong person to ask, I mentioned on the other thread that I still feel very strongly that a huge mistake has been made but that we have to learn to live with the consequences.

No one in Scotland that I know or have spoken to anyway, voted to leave, so I haven't got a balanced view to report. They, like me, are still struggling to understand why anyone voted to leave but of course we can't ignore the numbers who did.

I still haven't read anything or heard any commentary from anyone, either in an official or private capacity that even slightly convinces me that it was a good idea.

I really, genuinely, would like to know why we should be pleased, but no one seems to be able to quantify that. While ever the only answer to that question seems to be "shut up and put up" I'll do just that and stop asking and watch with interest.
 A question for Runfer... - CGNorwich
Immigration is a much smaller issue in Scotland that it is in England. This is because either

A) the Scots are a lot more more tolerant to foreigners than the English

Or

B). There are a lot less European immigrants in Scotland.

The answer depends on whether you voted Remain or Leave

A question for Runfer... - sooty123
I wonder how much geography/population density has to do with it?
My London resident relatives have commented on the lack of other races in Scotland when they visit.
Oh Scotland have some dense ones too, obviously just not proportionately as many...

( yes I know what you really meant, it was just too much to resist )

;-)
 A question for Runfer... - Dutchie
Dense feels like a German word does it mean thick?
 A question for Runfer... - Bromptonaut
>> Dense feels like a German word does it mean thick?

Yes
 A question for Runfer... - Ambo
>>The word 'media' is plural not singular.

Yes but this is a battle lost.
 A question for Runfer... - WillDeBeest
Is there still a chance for 'panini'? Or will invasive foreign food be banned under the new regime? (Along, indeed, with foreign words like 'regime'.) Greggs pasties and Mother's Pride for everyone. And a Mr Kipling Bakewell Slice on Her Majesty's birthday. Hurrah!
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Thu 30 Jun 16 at 15:42
 A question for Runfer... - rtj70
I do hope we keep grilled sandwiches Italian style... I mean panini :-)
 A question for Runfer... - tyrednemotional
....and I don't think we should let the Scots take "omnishambles" with them if they leave.

I feel we may have need of it......

;-)
 A question for Runfer... - Cliff Pope

>> Yes but this is a battle lost.
>>
And rightly so. A group of things, whose individual actions or properties can be summed up as some form of single collective, takes on a singular sense.

cf data, agenda.

But not criteria, because there is still a need to distinguish the singular, criterion, from the plural, criteria.

The Romans themselves, AC, used "rostra" in the singular sense, although technically a plural, meaning the beaks of captured warships forming the speakers' podium in the forum.
So there is ancient precedent for this extremely useful development in language.
Latest Forum Posts