Non-motoring > Runfer and other ex pat Jocks Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 22

Runfer and other ex pat Jocks - Bobby
Still Game, new series on BBC1 this Friday - being shown all over UK!

Do you
a. Love it like all Scots do
b. Never heard of it
c. Find it cringeworthy
 Runfer and other ex pat Jocks - Lygonos
Try some Burnistoun

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAz_UvnUeuU

Runfer and other ex pat Jocks - Runfer D'Hills
>> Try some Burnistoun

That was side splitting Lygonos !

Truth is, I can not for the life of me, get the voice recognition to work in my Merc but ironically, my German neighbour can when he talks to it in English but with his mild German accent !
 Runfer and other ex pat Jocks - smokie
I enjoyed that too.
 Runfer and other ex pat Jocks - MD
Ha ha. Excellent, although I think I've seen it before. Good though.
 Runfer and other ex pat Jocks - Falkirk Bairn
Still Game - Great fan of the show, have the DVDs........ went to the live show last year & walked out at 1/2 time.

The live show (@ £45 a ticket) was just re-heated material that was past its sell by date.

Hope the new series has new material otherwise I will be giving it a miss.
Sorry Bobby, never even heard of it. On the telly is it? Not a regular TV watcher in truth.
 Runfer and other ex pat Jocks - Cliff Pope
Never heard of it. I left Scotland in 1954.
 Runfer and other ex pat Jocks - commerdriver
Not a big TV watcher, never heard of it
 Runfer and other ex pat Jocks - Duncan
Hmm. Popular show, then?
 Runfer and other ex pat Jocks - commerdriver
suspect a lot of folks on this forum don't watch a lot of telly
Last edited by: commerdriver on Thu 6 Oct 16 at 15:43
 Runfer and other ex pat Jocks - Dog
>>Not a big TV watcher, never heard of it

I've got a big TV and I've never heard of it either.

:}
 Runfer and other ex pat Jocks - legacylad
I've heard of it... Think it was based around some elderly Scottish blokes and the pub they drank in?
Slightly similar was the tv series 'Early Doors'. Self explanatory title. Now that I found funny. Co written by Craig Cash ( I think) who was involved in writing The Royle Family & other stuff.
Legacylad, yeah its a bit of a cult show, in fact huge show, in Scotland. Came as a spin off from a long standing sketch show and its about a group of pensioners dealing with their day to day lifes in a tower block in a large Council estate in Glasgow.

However it has always only been shown in Scotland (although is now available on Netflix etc and I think it may have had some BBC2 coverage at some point nationally). However this new series is going out on National TV and I just don't think the rest of the UK will "get it". Not only are there lots of Glasgow type jokes in it, but there has been something like 7 series before this, developing and building the characters, so I can't see it being a success elsewhere.
 Runfer and other ex pat Jocks - Duncan
>> However it has always only been shown in Scotland (although is now available on Netflix
>> etc and I think it may have had some BBC2 coverage at some point nationally).

I've seen it and I've got badges to prove I'm not a Jock. I used to quite enjoy it - the bit where the two 'old' boys asked each other what they had for tea tickled me!

Anyway feast:-

tinyurl.com/zj82k9f
Humph, you are far less of a Jock than I thought you were. Mind you , it was private Edinburgh education for you wasn't it so that might kind of explain............. :)
I enjoyed the show although I am not convinced the Hydro is ideal for "stage" shows like this. Also love Mrs Browns Boys but thought their Hydro show was poor.

Just bought my tickets for the next Still Game show so fingers crossed!
On your recommendation Bobby, I watched last night's episode, cringeworthy indeed but yes, very funny in parts.

Friday night is one of the few times I seem to find TV I want to watch. I had "Have I got news for you" on while I was cooking. Hilarious ! Nick Clegg proved an amusing host much to my surprise. Later, "Mock the week" was good too. Graham Norton was entertaining and we rounded the evening off with a bit of Jools.

Conversely, Saturday nights provide almost nothing on TV I want to lose any hours of my life over.
 Runfer and other ex pat Jocks - Dog
>>Saturday nights provide almost nothing on TV I want to lose any hours of my life over.

There's always Strictly.

:-( :-( & :-[
 Runfer and other ex pat Jocks - Harleyman
Found these if anyone wants to catch up.

www.dailymotion.com/video/x3dpmjk_still-game-series-1-episode-1-flittin_fun
 Runfer and other ex pat Jocks - rtj70
Sorry to resurrect this - well no I'm not.

To answer your question - we love it. We watched series 7 and I got the series 1-6 boxset for Christmas. We are currently part way through series 3.

I'd never heard of it before you posted if I'm honest and it turns out a fair few of the series aired throughout the UK.

Thanks for the tip off. Well done Bobby (pronounced like the character) :-)
Boabie you mean!!! :)

Glad you enjoyed it and that it appealed to your sense of humour!
Some old classics amongst those episodes!
Still tickets available for their upcoming live show
www.ticketmaster.co.uk/Still-Game-Live-tickets/artist/1931088

I was actually at school with Sanjeev who plays the shopkeeper, and his brother Hardeep (who used to be a regular on the One Show).
About my only claim to fame!
Latest Forum Posts