Non-motoring > LED Christmas lights failing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 12

LED Christmas lights failing - smokie
Are they crap or what?

I bought a long expensive set through Amazon (branded Christmas Workshop) two years ago. Last year when I got then out to use them a section had gone out. Luckily I'd got the deckies out sufficiently early that they were just under a year old, and Amazon replaced them.

I also bought another identical set (but considerably cheaper), through Amazon but from a marketplace dealer. So I had both sets up outdoors.

This year both sets have some lights out. I think I ought to be able to get last year's new set replaced but I doubt I can get the original set replaced.

On the other hand I have a shorter set of coloured LEDs which must be at least 5 years old which have had no problems.

I thought the ones I was buying were a premium brand (certainly price was) but either I was wrong or these things really don't last. There are web ages on how to revive a set of LED lights but it's too much faff. On there, they are asking why we've gone back to wiring in series - apparently it's a requirement for LEDs.

Anyone else having such problems?
 LED Christmas lights failing - devonite
Our Town lights, old bulb type (which have been left up all year for years!) were finally replaced last week by strings of dangling LED's. They look quite effective when lit, all Blue and White, trouble is they've only been lit a week and already several complete strings are out, now they look a mess! - must be a LED thing!
 LED Christmas lights failing - madf
Our cheap LED lights are still alive - the outside ones that is. Lasted 3 seasons.
internal ones last 2 years and fail. But at £11 or so, not bad.

Expensive LED use the same bulbs..I think..
 LED Christmas lights failing - Old Navy
I suspect the LED manufacturers would rather sell poor quality cheap Crtistmas decorations than ones that last decades. Good quality ones might last longer than the company. A bit like making an everlasting anything.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 27 Nov 16 at 20:42
 LED Christmas lights failing - busbee
LED technology is expanding and may be one of those new processes has been used and has a reliability problem. For instance LEDs can now be printed. A much cheaper process.

Whether that process could have been used for your lights, I don't know. I have not been following the progress. But, in general, printed LEDS are being used. I think I saw they were being used in reading tablets.

Perhaps googling 'printed LED fairy lights' or some such phrase, will throw more light.

LED Christmas lights failing - Pat
What are you doing putting decorations up this early?

It's not even December yet.

Pat
SWMBO was out for the day on Saturday and the weather was OK so it seemed a good time... :-)

However, I am with you regarding timing, so they are not yet switched on. If I had my way they'd go on mid December but I don't often get my way...
Fortunately my boss only allows Christmas decorations in the house from Christmas eve. Outside, thankfully no chance, a bit tacky council house. :-)
 LED Christmas lights failing - legacylad
I don't 'do' Xmas lights, trees, or anything really. The nearest I get to putting up decorations is a string of solar lights around an outside handrail at my mums to assist if she gets home in the dark from an Age UK trip. They are quite dim now...a combo of not much sunlight & maybe the solar panel degrading?
Off to Leeds today ( exciting big city experience) to look at tellies, watch a film, have a few beers and look at the Xmas lights on the way back to the station.
It really doesn't matter how your house looks from outside ON, but a few lights may brighten it up :-)
Standards, dear boy, standards.
 LED Christmas lights failing - CGNorwich
Petty middle class snobbery more like.
I just knew there would be one. :-))
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 28 Nov 16 at 09:15
Latest Forum Posts