Non-motoring > Winter Sun Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 17

Winter Sun - CGNorwich
I normally take a couple of weeks away form the gloom of Englsih winter in February or March. I have been to the Canaries (La Palma, La Gomera and Lanzarote) and Madeira and this year fancied a change. Not particuarly keen on sitting by a pool or on the beach for a fortnight and was thinking of pushing the boat out so to speak and heading for Coasta Rica and its wildlife . Anyone been there?
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 28 Nov 16 at 17:33
 Winter Sun - Old Navy
Have you read the FCO travel advice?
 Winter Sun - CGNorwich
Yes Nothing much to be overly concerned about. As it says 65,000 UK nationals visited last year without any problems.

I wonder what the Costa Rican Government advises about travel to parts of Scotland?
 Winter Sun - Old Navy
>> I wonder what the Costa Rican Government advises about travel to parts of Scotland?
>>

They must advise against all travel, I have never come across Costa Rican tourists. Lots of English tourists.
 Winter Sun - Focal Point
Not been to Costa Rica.

However - aftermath of Hurricane Otto, apparently; Zika virus; volcano activity.

How about the Cape Verde Islands?

Dog's lost paradise, Tenerife, is a big island with lots to see and do away from the modern tourist strips, if that puts you off.
 Winter Sun - rtj70
Whilst it's not going to be hot, we had a sunny time in Sicily this February. In the day I was wearing shorts and short sleeve shirts. We're going again next March (we hope).

You couldn't sit on a beach or anything but it was very nice. And the early season flights with EasyJet were cheap as well! Cheap accommodation via booking.com.
 Winter Sun - CGNorwich
Otto will be long gone by March. Zika not a problem as wife unlikely to be pregnant! Volcanic activity not unknown on Tenerife. I seem to remember a dirty great big one in the middle

Cape Verde islands appear to be a a mainly beach resort sort of place and I get bored easily

Costa Rica has rain forest and sloths!

Winter Sun - rtj70
>> and sloths!

There's a few on here I think.
 Winter Sun - Old Navy
>> Zika not a problem as wife unlikely to be pregnant!

Dengue is no joke though.
 Winter Sun - CGNorwich
You certainly need to be aware of mosquitos. Plenty of DEET I guess.
 Winter Sun - Dog
A tad cloudy on the Refe this morgen: www.canarylive24.com/webcam-live-playa-los-cristianos
 Winter Sun - No FM2R
>>Anyone been there?

Yes. A lot. I love the place. I've done two contracts there, and visited from time to time.

But it does rather depend on the sort of holiday you are looking for, how long you will go for, whether you will/will not travel around when you get there, etc. etc.

Arenal is one of the most impressive places I have ever been. Its not far from San Jose, which i also enjoy. There are cloud forests to visit, lakes and rivers, and, if you insist, beaches.

Generally the centres are pretty busy places, quite touristy, but still foreign in their way. Off the beaten track can be very 'local'. The food is fun, and usually pretty good.

Other than petty thieving, its a pretty safe place. I know there are reports, but so there are anywhere. Subjectively I would say there is more petty thievery but less violence than say Madrid or Montpelier.

Though Health and Safety isn't a "thing" there, so you need to look after yourself. I.E. just because a beach is dangerous, doesn't mean there'll be a sign saying so.

As an aside, it has the most accent-less, easy to understand Spanish ever. Which helps.

Some indication of the type of thing you were looking for would help. You really do need to think, investigate and plan beforehand. There's an awful lot to see and do. Also, the place is pretty chaotic and it can be a but overwhelming.

Health insurance is necessary. The healthcare is very good, but [for them] damned expensive. So they will not treat you beyond emergency unless you have insurance. Also, it can be a bit unreliable out of the cities and ambulances to get you to the cities are expensive without insurance.

I've never had vaccinations to go there, and there is no point in anti malaria stuff. The danger from mosquitoes is not malaria. You will want anti-mosquito stuff. Take only a bit of repellent cream with you. Its cheaper, better and stronger from a local pharmacy once you're there. Not the airport. There's cheap plug in anti-mosquito things a swell, which are well worthwhile. once you are there, really, really use cream, repellent and room devices all the time.

So, happy to help if you wish. But whether you want my help or not, I do strongly recommend the place.

Winter Sun - CGNorwich
I was looking to do something like this. Seems to me the sort of place where a travel company is the way to go unless you know it well. I like Sunil - have used them several times.

www.sunvil.co.uk/traveller/central-america/costa-rica/example-itineraries/wildlife-itinerary

Health insurance of course . Have an annual world wide policy as I go to Canada most years. Doesn't seem too risky a sort of place if you are sensible.
 Winter Sun - No FM2R
I don't know Sunvil, but I just looked at that link. Seems an utterly excellent trip. Mind you, its not cheap, is it!

If I had a comment, and it really depends on what you're looking for, then I would have looked for a day or two actually free in San Jose. Ok, it is a city, but its a pretty interesting and different one, with everything from markets to museums. The itinerary they are offering is pretty busy I think. Again though, that's a personal choice.

A night and an afternoon tour of Arenal is excellent. It is an awesome place but that is long enough there. There are hot springs, which you will want to get it, so take swimming stuff you're happy to be in company in. Its not a place for budgie smugglers.

I do reiterate what I said about bugs. Its a hot and humid place, you cannot possibly have too much anti-bug stuff. Also, cream for when you do get bitten, anti-itch and antiseptic.

One of my children reacts quite badly to bug bites there. For bug spray you preferably want quite strong stuff, DEET obviously, preferably the 20%-30% stuff. No point in the stronger and the weaker is ineffective. Don't forget to reapply, especially if you're using the weaker stuff. I don't know what strength is available in the UK. 15%-20% is common in Costa Rican supermarkets, and if you look you'll find the 30% stuff.

If you have very light clothing, down to ankle and wrist clothing, especially when bumbling around in the cloud forests or sat in a boat, that can be a god send. Especially the trousers.

I presume you know that the mosquitoes and the like prefer sheltered places with no breeze - so under the edge of tables, under the cuff of your trousers, under benches and chairs etc. etc. Sit in a draft, always safer.

The water is safe to drink, but may well still upset your stomach. It doesn't me, but some people suffer. The food is all pretty good, pretty pleasant and pretty safe.

If you are sensible, it is not at all risky. Though the driving standards are likely to keep you awake.
 Winter Sun - No FM2R
p.s. I do agree that if you do not speak Spanish and you don't know the place, then a travel company is the way to go.
 Winter Sun - No FM2R
Sorry, while I think about it.... [Its all obvious common sense stuff, but If ell better for saying it].

You can carry a photocopy of your passport when wandering around if you have somewhere safe to leave the original.

Think about your mobile phone. If you want to take it, then make sure its unlocked ad get a local SIM. Dead cheap. Or use it as little as possible. Consider something like a REBTEL account perhaps. I can explain more if you wish.

Virtually all medication is available there, most of it over the counter, but if there is something you take regularly, then before you go find out what name it is sold under in Costa Rica, in case you need to know. It will almost certainly be different.

Crime involving violence or mugging is unusual. Petty thievery is rife, as are pick pockets. Some kind of belt allowing you to carry your stuff not in a pocket or in your hand is good. Don't leave stuff unattended.

You will quite often come across Europeans, often Brits, with a sob story about how they need £20 just to help them get to the hospital where their wife is, or some such s***. You wouldn't fall for it in Norwich, don't fall for it there. [sorry if that's sucking eggs].

Credit card skimming is on the rise, to Chip&Pin stuff is safer, still keep an eye out.

Avoid changing money on the street or in iffy places. The rates fine, but the notes are often forged.
 Winter Sun - CGNorwich
I usually buy the 50% stuff. Boots is normally as cheap as anywhere. As a walker I tend to always wear loose fitting long trousers anyway both as protection against ticks and mosquitoes and also scratchy vegetation. Old blokes don't look good in shorts anyway.
 Winter Sun - Dog
>>Old blokes don't look good in shorts anyway.

Speak for yourself guvnor, I have a rather-nice pair of pins don't cha know.
Latest Forum Posts