Non-motoring > Flat or curved screen TV Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 26

Flat or curved screen TV - legacylad
After due diligence, my new tv will be a Samsung, one of two screen sizes. Having asked around, the only benefit of a curved screen, apart from viewing angles and I sit directly in line of sight, seems to be a more 'immersive' experience whilst watching film.
There is quite a premium on the curved screen, so before committing myself one way or the other, I wondered if anyone actually has a curved screen to, and if so was it worth paying the premium? Thanks for any feedback.
 Flat or curved screen TV - CGNorwich
www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/curved-tvs-the-pros-and-cons

That about sums it up.

Reason 7 is of course the reason you shhould go curved
 Flat or curved screen TV - Manatee
I haven't got one, but I've seen a few. The bigger it is, the bigger the 'benefit' of a curved screen IMO. I wouldn't bother at say 40" unless you are going to be quite close to it - say <3m.

Maybe work out what distance you watch from and check them out at that distance in the shop.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 30 Nov 16 at 10:54
 Flat or curved screen TV - smokie
Always been impressed with them on display in Costco and elsewhere but the current layout in my lounge prevents anything over about 42" and I really think the benefits only start to kick in on larger size screens (based on very limited experience of them!!)
 Flat or curved screen TV - Dog
www.cnet.com/uk/news/trouble-with-the-curve-what-you-need-to-know-about-curved-tvs/
 Flat or curved screen TV - movilogo
My advice - don't bother with curve unless you are thinking over 65 inches. Curve is more of a hype like 3D TV. Now no one is talking about 3D TV any more.
Last edited by: movilogo on Wed 30 Nov 16 at 13:22
 Flat or curved screen TV - Slightlyfatdirector
Hi LegacyLad. I was going to go down the Samsung route and I went into Richer Sounds (I have nothing to do with them as a company, so am not plugging them) and asked them to confirm my choice as they stocked them.

They then explained that Samsung have the 'tech' (which my daughter was excited about with various extra features), but if I want a good picture then at least have a quick look at the Panasonics. It was then on looking at them side by side that there really was a marked difference, with the picture quality of the Panasonic being markedly sharper and the definition - especially on black and dark colours - was dramatically different. Not much in it price-wise and I have been a very happy Panasonic owner since and for a few years now and the picture is still stunning. So much that I see no reason to upgrade to a 4K or Ultra HD for a while yet.

I can't comment on the curved v. flat side of your question, but worth speaking with an unbiased expert in a place that is not trying to shove you out of the door with just anything, and our experience (in the Tunbridge Wells branch) was genuinely expert, and focused on what was important to US.
 Flat or curved screen TV - Stuartli
I've been a Panasonic TV (plasma) fans for years and have often mentioned the fact on here (cue particular mod's observation as to the number of times??).

Once Pioneer had left the TV manufacturing field and Panasonic had taken on many of their technical design experts, it didn't look back and my 2010 42in TX-P42GB20B Viera set (the first with both a Freeview and Freesat HD tuner) is still delivering the goods at a high quality level.

Sadly, Panasonic stopped making plasma sets recently - a shame as the technology's display quality is outstanding. The original SmartTV portal is not as good as more recent examples, but this was overcome with a Panasonic DMP-BDT310 Blu-Ray player being added and perform this duty as part of its contribution.

Re curved TVs. I've not seen one in action so far, but a friend whose parents have just bought one said she was taken aback at how good the TV proved; like me she had been skeptical about them, but said she was very pleasantly surprised after seeing it in action.
I have the TXP42G30B, purchased about the same time as yours - no thoughts on changing it for any of the latest offerings, until it goes hooters up.

I use the normal picture mode most of the time, unless Poldark is on, then I use the exceptional THX setting :)
>>I use the normal picture mode most of the time, unless Poldark is on, then I use the exceptional THX setting :)>>

Always used the THX setting - outstanding display quality and very natural, which as a photographer all my life I very much want..:-)
THX would be too vivid in this pokey 200 year old East facing small-windowed cottage.
That and the 2 x 8w Philips softone energy savers in the table lamps ... you get the, um, picture :)
 Flat or curved screen TV - Fursty Ferret
Samsung curves are far more pronounced than LG.

Consider LG OLED, absolutely destroys the competition and last year's 1080p model available for well under a grand now. It has a gentle curve but I'd still have gone for a flat one uf available at the time.
>>Consider LG OLED>>

Unfortunately the marque doesn't have the reliability one would expect, according to my friends in the trade. They won't acquire them for personal use.....
 Flat or curved screen TV - Fursty Ferret
>> >>Consider LG OLED>>
>>
>> Unfortunately the marque doesn't have the reliability one would expect, according to my friends in
>> the trade. They won't acquire them for personal use.....
>>

Mine included a five year warranty from Richer Sounds. I'm almost hoping it breaks.
>>I'm almost hoping it breaks.

Pity Vauxhall don't make 'em, knowlmean ;)
 Flat or curved screen TV - PeterS
>> >>Consider LG OLED>>
>>
>> Unfortunately the marque doesn't have the reliability one would expect, according to my friends in
>> the trade. They won't acquire them for personal use.....
>>

Admittedly a small sample, but the first LCD TV we bought was a 17" LG widescreen one costing £699 in, I think, 2002!! I only threw it away last year, but it was still working. For no other reason than familiarity with the remote controls we've bought a further 4 LG LCD TVs, and they're all working too. The price always remains roughly the same, they just get bigger smarter ;)

Although I chuckle slightly; 30 years ago the majority of TVs were curved, they were just convex not concave!! Then we were conditioned to buy 'flatscreen' CRTs, then flat screen LCDs, and now curves are back. As vinyl is making a hipster driven come-back, how long 'til the CRT TV is back ;)
 Flat or curved screen TV - Clk Sec
>>how long 'til the CRT TV is back ;)

We have an excellent Sony 28in CRT in our bedroom that the wife is keen to replace with a similar sized flat screen telly. It's yours if you want it.

You'll need a crane to lower it to the ground floor, though.

>>You'll need a crane to lower it to the ground floor, though.>>

The 32in Panasonics were even more hard work....:-)

However the local travellers always had at least one individual who could lift one up singlehandedly and put it on the back of their pickup (my best mate owned a retail audioTV/appliances outlet and left old TVs out for the travellers to take - saved the cost of local authority collection as well).....:-)

edited to remove race hate word
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 3 Dec 16 at 17:14
 Flat or curved screen TV - Ambo
No chance of selling on, then? And I don't recall any TV part exchange offers.
>>THX would be too vivid in this pokey 200 year old East facing small-windowed cottage. >>

I can assure you that there is nothing "vivid" whatsoever about the THX derived display, either Freeview or Freesat, on my Panasonic...:-) It's very natural.

There is some type of vivid colour choice in a Panasonic's menu, but it's most certainly NOT for me.....:-)
 Flat or curved screen TV - Dave_
Most of the car dealerships who use us have large TVs. I've had a chance to sample curved and flat screens up to (I think it was) 80 inches, whilst relaxing with a coffee paid for by someone else.

I wasn't taken with the curved screens, they seemed a bit of a gimmick and didn't offer any improvement in the viewing experience so for home we went with a flat, 4K, non-3D, Samsung UE55JU6800. It's by far the best TV I've ever owned or will ever own.
Last edited by: Dave_ on Thu 1 Dec 16 at 21:28
 Flat or curved screen TV - legacylad
Many thanks for both the links and the constructive feedback... FF I shall look into that OLED option.
I've discounted the curved screens after some consideration....my eyeball to screen distance is 4.2m winter, 5.1m summer ( when I don't huddle near my stove) and I now need to decide between 49" & 55".
Having spent the day taking an ailing 89yo mother to visit a 98 yo aunt whose life savings ( and soon to be ex flat) are being rapidly spent on nursing home fees I'm tempted to get an SUHD goggle box at silly money whilst I have my sight and some of my marbles.
>> my eyeball to screen distance is 4.2m winter, 5.1m summer

Mine is a lot less than that; 3.0m-3.5m depending on whether I'm sitting or lounging. The guides suggest a 48" screen as a maximum but I don't regret going for the 55" one bit. It really is immersive without being overkill.
What guides are those, Dave? I need to do some research for a new purchase.
>> What guides are those, Dave? I need to do some research for a new purchase.

There's a good one here:

www.which.co.uk/reviews/televisions/article/what-size-tv-should-i-buy
Very useful, thanks.
 Flat or curved screen TV - R.P.
We've got a curved Samsung - it's a fine telly.
Latest Forum Posts