Non-motoring > Rejuveinating an old white bath panel Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Slightlyfatdirector Replies: 17

Rejuveinating an old white bath panel - Slightlyfatdirector
Any ideas?

It is a special size, and nothing 'off the shelf' can be easily fitted without terrible visual consequences (believe me, I have tried.....).

Can you get the yellowing to go away from old white plastics?

My wife researched it and there were suggestions of a bleach / baking soda or bicarb mix, which made absolutely no difference, and then she has bought a can of spray paint and said "try this".

Conscious that if I mess that up (paint runs, etc), it will not be salvageable, are there any other suggestions from you chaps and chappesses as to what I can do to remove the yellowing and bring back the white, or is it time to plumb in a new bath complete with new side and end panels? That almost seems like the easier option at the moment....

Thanks!
 Rejuveinating an old white bath panel - Old Navy
If the plastic has yellowed a coating (paint) is the only option. Do you have a small car body shop nearby that could professionally spray it with plastic bumper paint?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 30 Nov 16 at 18:12
 Rejuveinating an old white bath panel - Falkirk Bairn
New white B&Q bath panels are from £30 - any spray painting would cost more than that IMHO
>>It is a special size, and nothing 'off the shelf' can be easily fitted without terrible visual consequences (believe me, I have tried.....).
>>
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 30 Nov 16 at 18:19
 Rejuveinating an old white bath panel - Ted

Some years ago, we were looking for a cream bath panel to replace the tiled one that was there.
We were in a local indy bathroom shop but the owner said he couldn't help with the size we wanted apart from cheap plastic moulded ones.
While he and SWM were talking I noticed that one of his display bathrooms wasn't tiled but had walls made of shiny, Melamine ? coated MDF about 8ft x 3ft. I pointed them out, one was the exact cream. A light came on in head and he said he could order any size from his supplier.

He did and it was spot on for colour and size. I presume they did white as well as there were other colours on display. It wasn't cheap...IIRC it was about £100, but all the edges and the back were sealed against damp. ( and it kept her indoors happy)

We've had a new bathroom since but I kept the panel...it's in the workshop so I'll go out tomorrow and see if there's a manufacturer's name on the back......or ring the shop if I can find their no.
 Rejuveinating an old white bath panel - Ted

Just googlied 'Shower wall panels ' Have a look in the meantime.
 Rejuveinating an old white bath panel - bathtub tom
I once had hardboard bath panels. They had a shiny black surface and a right-angled corner moulding.
Make your own perhaps?
 Rejuveinating an old white bath panel - Dutchie
If the panel is a special size take it off to the shop.

Our bath panel has gone a off white.I am leaving it for the time being but there are good quality paints for plastic.I painted a outside plastic door awing and it looks good.
 Rejuveinating an old white bath panel - hjd
Have you tried this lot?
www.brokenbog.com/
If you are Blue Peter trained you can still get sticky backed plastic. :-)
 Rejuveinating an old white bath panel - Mapmaker
Paint it.

Or replace it with mdf and tile it.
 Rejuveinating an old white bath panel - Dog
I'd spray it with:

www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/rust-oleum-appliance-spray-paint---white---400ml-513797
Thanks all. On the last suggestion this is almost exactly what my wife has bought me, although they do a 'direct to plastic' version. I will see how I get on, but thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. :)
 Rejuveinating an old white bath panel - VxFan
>> If you are Blue Peter trained you can still get sticky backed plastic. :-)

Or get it vinyl wrapped.
 Rejuveinating an old white bath panel - legacylad
Have you looked at mermaidpanels.com?
I had them fitted in my shower at a previous house, and friends have them in their own homes. Cut them to fit
I have two free standing bathroom cabinets, quite smart but old. Originally they were pure white. One side which caught the sun/ light has yellowed, but they are 30yo and still fit for purpose. Cosmetically they don't look good but I can live with it. Others probably couldn't.

Rejuveinating an old white bath panel - devonite
Try scrubbing it with toothpaste - "you'll wonder where the yellow went...when you brush with Pepsodent"!! ;-)
Thanks all.

>>>>>>Or get it vinyl wrapped.

Sounds intriguing VxFan. Where would I go for that?
 Rejuveinating an old white bath panel - VxFan
>> Sounds intriguing VxFan. Where would I go for that?

Can do it DIY, or there are plenty of places that offer it now. Just google vinyl wrapping.

The choice of colours and designs is almost endless.
Latest Forum Posts