Non-motoring > Paywalls and other stuff. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 13

Paywalls and other stuff. - Roger.
Obviously the Daily Telegraph is intent on losing readers.
In addition to a weekly payment to see so-called "premium" articles it is now obscuring its home page with a page sized pop-up demanding that one's ad-blocker is disabled.
Over to the Daily Mail and the Daily Express.
Last edited by: Roger. on Sat 3 Dec 16 at 19:10
 Paywalls and other stuff. - sooty123
>> Obviously the Daily Telegraph is intent on losing readers.

More like intent on making money.
 Paywalls and other stuff. - BrianByPass
>> Obviously the Daily Telegraph is intent on losing readers.

Yes, seems the paywall isn't gettting enough paying customers.

>> it is now obscuring its home page with a page sized pop-up
>>
Strange. On mine it is only about a fifth or less the size of of the screen. You can close it with the "close" button

>> demanding that one's ad-blocker is disabled.
>>
They are very polite to me, even though I don't pay, saying please and thank you.
"Please consider supporting us by turning off your ad blocker. Just a couple of clicks will make a big difference.
Thank you."
 Paywalls and other stuff. - Dog
>>In addition to a weekly payment to see so-called "premium" articles it is now obscuring its home page with a page sized pop-up demanding that one's ad-blocker is disabled.

I get the ad-blocker page thingy on Waterfox, but not on Chrome or IE. I have uBlock on Waterfox. The Guardian also has a whinge about AdBlock.
 Paywalls and other stuff. - Focal Point
With the Telegraph I find that you can open the home page from, say, Google and then search for the article in question (which you have seen on Google News) and it will open OK, even with various ad-blocking stuff.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Sat 3 Dec 16 at 21:17
 Paywalls and other stuff. - CGNorwich
So you think you should be able to read a newspaper for free and not even have the courtesy to allow advertising?

Paywalls and other stuff. - BrianByPass
>> So you think you should be able to read a newspaper for free and not
>> even have the courtesy to allow advertising?
>>

The solution lies with the papers.

They can try a paywall for every article, eg. The Times (The Sun tried and failed)

or they can block free access unless/until you allow adverts, as per www.forbes.com/

or they can stop intrusive advertising, especially those where a video starts playing without your permission.

If they go half-heated as the Telegraph (part free, part premium, adblocking not banned), people will find ways to avoid paying or having adverts.

Adblockers allow you to whitelist sites which don't have intrusive advertising. I am happy to allow such adverts.
 Paywalls and other stuff. - Focal Point
How does courtesy come into it?

I have no contract with newspapers. I owe them nothing. They make or have made their content available online for free; sometimes they change what they're doing and don't let you view it unless you pay or unless you switch off your ad-blocker. I don't get upset about their tactics - it's up to them. Sometimes I look for a way around and sometimes I just go elsewhere.
 Paywalls and other stuff. - Falkirk Bairn
I pay the DT £8 per month although I glance at other "free sites".
The news & Investigative journalism has to survive - DT on MP expenses,
News of the World & others on "multiple revelations", Government cover-ups,
NHS Shortcomings, wayward politicians etc etc

£8 -Less than a coffee in the High St per week.

Good value in my opinion.

No paper boys now & it is a mile+ to the filling station.
Too many outlets selling say 6/7 popular papers closed the papershop that
had a wide range for browsing + paperboys to deliver daily.
 Paywalls and other stuff. - CGNorwich
I still like a real paper amd buy an I or the times. When on holiday abroad I subscribe to the Telegraph or Times online

Unless the public realise that without payment there can be no quality journalism we will eventually lose them.

>> £8 -Less than a coffee in the High St per week.
>>

Coffee - £8 a week? Crikey. Tried Starbucks once. Horrid overpriced muck.
 Paywalls and other stuff. - Mapmaker
>>How does courtesy come into it?

Pay for it or lose it. So it's courtesy towards the paying readers I suppose.

I haven't picked up a hard-copy newspaper for a couple of years. The Telegraph on the iPhone (on subscription) works pretty well. It's always in my pocket. I don't have piles of unwanted newsprint to get rid of.
>> So you think you should be able to read a newspaper for free and not
>> even have the courtesy to allow advertising?
>>
>>
>>
Yes!
 Paywalls and other stuff. - Ambo
A problematical paper. We don't like reading papers online but as another poster once noted, it does not accept hard copy returns so newsagents are stuck with unsold copies, hence tend only to order enough for account customers - surely leading to a loss in overall sales. They sometimes fail to deliver and our agent supplies the Daily Mail instead (than which we prefer no paper at all). Proof reading is poor so that we could be reading the Guardian sometimes. The printing ink comes off on hands and clothes. We stick with it only because we find it marginally better than the rest.
Latest Forum Posts