Non-motoring > Sully Miscellaneous
Thread Author: helicopter Replies: 30

Sully - helicopter
Just been to see this at the Cinema.

A brilliant film about the pilot who managed to land his passenger aircraft in the Hudson river after a birdstrike , saving all on board and the subsequent investigation.

Entirely absorbing couple of hours and highly recommended.Tom Hanks plays Chesley Sullenberger.

If you do go and see it ,don't leave until the credits are finished to see the real Sully ...a modest man , a brilliant pilot and a true hero.
 Sully - legacylad
Off to see it later this week. Talking of 'flying' films, I enjoyed 'Arrival' last week and looking for ward to 'Passengers' before Christmas.
 Sully - mikeyb
Funny you posted this - I've just got back from watching it.

I enjoyed it - not one of Hanks finest films, but certainly worth a watch. I, as do most, know the outline of what happened, but didn't realise the way the investigation was going.

Hes certainly a very skilled (and / or lucky) individual - the fact all survived is almost in miracle territory
 Sully - CGNorwich
"but didn't realise the way the investigation was going."

The way the investigation was handled has been criticised as being protrayed as too harsh and trying to suggest the pilot made the wrong decision.

Seen by many as a device to provide drama to a story in which we all know the ending it was not Sully's view who believed that the investigation team simply did what they had to do.

In an interview with Simon Mayo on Five Live Tom Hank simplied that this aspect of the film had perhaps been overdone by the director Clint Eastwood
 Sully - mikeyb
I guess a film in which we all know the story through the news coverage would be pretty uninteresting without a little embellishment
 Sully - Roger.
>> I guess a film in which we all know the story through the news coverage
>> would be pretty uninteresting without a little embellishment
>>

That's why I never watch TV dramas, or films, which are based on real events.
(Rillington Place comes to mind, however good the acting and settings may be).
 Sully - sooty123
> That's why I never watch TV dramas, or films, which are based on real events.

Never watched a film based in ww2?
 Sully - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Hes certainly a very skilled (and / or lucky) individual - the fact all survived
>> is almost in miracle territory
>>
If you get a chance, read the book.
Very good background in USAF and as an investigator of crashes himself.
 Sully - helicopter
The book has been added to my list of presents as a result of my enjoyment of the film.

SWMBO has hopefully taken my very subtle hint.....ie

'I would like the book for Christmas' as we walked out of the cinema.
 Sully - Mapmaker
How do you take something that was all over in 2 minutes and stretch it out over two hours. Sounds duller than a dull thing.
 Sully - Ian (Cape Town)
>> How do you take something that was all over in 2 minutes and stretch it
>> out over two hours. Sounds duller than a dull thing.

Actually not, mappy.
I thought the same, but found the surrounding dramatisation of the post-landing rescue by boat, Sully's remaining in command, investigation and NTSB case stuff quite fascinating.
 Sully - helicopter
You are correct Ian....absolutely fascinating watching the drama of the investigation and the Airbus simulations .

SWMBO as well as myself and the other cinemagoers were completely absorbed as we realised when an absolute gasp of astonishment went round the cinema when the number 17 was mentioned....you will know what I am talking about if you have seen the film.

Only problem with the film I had was wondering how Skyler from Breaking Bad got herself onto the investigation committee.....
 Sully - Haywain
" an absolute gasp of astonishment went round the cinema when the number 17 was mentioned....you will know what I am talking about if you have seen the film."

Saw it this evening - and waited for the number 17 - and you were right about the gasp.

By the way, H/c, have you managed to see Milos Karadaglic yet?
 Sully - helicopter
Glad you enjoyed the film Haywain .

Not seen Milos yet ...his Facebook page has a message from him which sadly points out that he has again had to pull out of his touring .....very upsettingfor him and his fans.
 Sully - Haywain
"Not seen Milos yet ...his Facebook page has a message from him which sadly points out that he has again had to pull out of his touring .....very upsettingfor him and his fans."

After I'd written that note last night, I had a look at Milos's website - which as ever, said very little. I then found his Facebook page where he announced that he would have to call a halt on things for while. This is tragic; I have seen many classical players, including Segovia, John Williams etc but IMHO, Milos surpasses them all - his touch is so distinct and expressive.

After we'd met him at Snape Maltings, I thought he'd lost weight and said to my son's g/f that I hoped he wasn't overdoing it; sadly, I fear my suspicions may have been right.
 Sully - CGNorwich
www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2016/milos/
 Sully - Manatee
The passengers were undoubtedly fortunate with their choice of captain.

radio with ATC:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLFZTzR5u84

The most dramatic situation possible for an airline pilot, and no hint of anything but calm control in Sullenberger's voice.

Of course all pilots should be like that, it's what they are trained for, but other examples of CVR in emergencies suggest otherwise. Just to make the decision to land in the Hudson, or rather to abandon the attempt to make a runway in time, was astonishing. Subsequent simulations suggest that it might have been possible to return to the airport, but Sullenberger could not be certain he could clear all the buildings in a highly populated area,

I'd like to see the film.

Sully - PeterS
>> How do you take something that was all over in 2 minutes and stretch it
>> out over two hours. Sounds duller than a dull thing.
>>

That was my immediate thought, but we went to see it the weekend it came out and I have to say I really enjoyed it. The drama of the rescue, and subsequent investigation and apparent (albeit exaggerated for cinematic value) positioning as an accident that could have been avoided kept me entertained. Certainly hung together better than The Accountant, which we saw a few weeks before and which had more plot holes than was plausible!
 Sully - sooty123
. Certainly hung together better than The Accountant, which
>> we saw a few weeks before

now there sounds a riveting film ;)
 Sully - zippy
I so wanted to see Sully a couple of weeks back when moving the eldest to a new hospital but couldn't because she wanted to see the Harry Potter film "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" which was OK, but she fell asleep during the film due to exhaustion after a busy shift in A&E! I would have been happier if she had fallen asleep in Sully I wouldn't have been so disappointed!

Girlfriend has promised to take me to see it next Wednesday (cause its half price!?).
 Sully - PeterS
>> . Certainly hung together better than The Accountant, which
>> >> we saw a few weeks before
>>
>> now there sounds a riveting film ;)
>>

It was actually a pretty entertaining, If somewhat violent, film. But the plot got more and more far fetched as the film went on. Brilliant twist at the end though :)

youtu.be/DBfsgcswlYQ
 Sully - sooty123
Its okay, I'll wait for the sequel the estate agent. ;)
 Sully - Fursty Ferret
Shortly after it happened we (unsurprisingly!) tried the same scenario in the simulator out of curiosity. None of us made it back. No one thought to start the APU as he did - the stunning bit of foresight that probably led to no loss of life.

We have, very rarely, practised dual engine failure at cruise altitude but never in the climb out.
 Sully - bathtub tom
>>No one thought to start the APU as he did

Would that supply any significant thrust, or just power to the control surfaces?
 Sully - diddy1234
Just power the control surfaces flaps etc (hydraulic mostly) and provide electrical power for equipment
Last edited by: diddy1234 on Thu 15 Dec 16 at 13:43
 Sully - mikeyb
Fursty - would the RAT have provided any support or is it not effective at those speeds / altitudes?
 Sully - Fursty Ferret
>> Fursty - would the RAT have provided any support or is it not effective at
>> those speeds / altitudes?
>>

RAT is effective down to 140kts (or 125 on newer A320s). That gets you the blue hydraulic system and AC/DC essential electrics. The RAY is spring-loaded and online within 8 seconds of power loss, during which time the batteries supply the electrical network.

I'm not sure the RAT deployed in this case since one engine continued to run at sub-idle speeds.

Bringing APU online restores all aircraft electronics including FO displays and, crucially, what we call "normal law", or the full flight protection envelope. This is what allowed Sully to maintain the 9 degree pitch attitude into the water without stalling the aircraft.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Fri 16 Dec 16 at 10:34
 Sully - Manatee
I read somewhere, probably the NTSB report, that the RAT was found to be out when the plane was recovered. I also read somewhere that it will power the slats but not the flaps IIRC - I could have mis-remembered that bit.
 Sully - Fursty Ferret
Correct. But windmilling engines allowed flaps to run, albeit slowly.
 Sully - sooty123
Do large new aircraft have back up blow down for the landing gear, or do they just function off hyds, emergency and normal?
 Sully - Fursty Ferret
>> Do large new aircraft have back up blow down for the landing gear, or do
>> they just function off hyds, emergency and normal?
>>

Nope. Provided you release the locks holding them in the belly (either electrically or through a mechanical lever), they'll free-fall and lock in place under gravity alone. Gear doors will dangle in the wind, though.
Latest Forum Posts