Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 27

And its goodby to: - CGNorwich
Peter Sarstedt.

Well, where do you go to my lovely?
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 8 Jan 17 at 16:53
 And its goodby to: - Dog
>>where do you go to my lovely?

To Juan-les-Pines.

With your carefully designed topless swimsuit, you get an even suntan, on your back and on your legs.

www.bing.com/search?q=HERE+DO+YOU+GO+TO+MY+LOVELY&form=U374DF&pc=U374

RIP
Last edited by: Dog on Sun 8 Jan 17 at 17:12
 And its goodby to: - Harleyman
I'm afraid this was one sixties "classic" I really couldn't abide. Seemed to go on forever and although his French accent probably was authentic it always sounded fake to me.

Think I'll be listening to Radio 4 this week cos R2 will play the damn thing to death.
 And its goodby to: - smokie
Born in India apparently

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Sarstedt
 And its goodby to: - bathtub tom
I was surprised a few years ago when I heard a slightly longer version with additional lyrics. Were there more than one version?
 And its goodby to: - MD
Loved the song.

Didn't know he'd passed on.
 And its goodby to: - Crankcase
Spotify shows multiple recordings by Peter Sarstedt himself, but they range in time from 4:15 to 4:45, so probably are the same recording, the shorter one being faded out or something.

There is a range of other artists covering it, one of which is 5:22 (Peter Thompson) , one at 6:17 (Tim Rose) and yet another is a whopping 6:52 (Dave Kusworth Group), so perhaps there is a longer "unofficial" version, or these guys tarted about with the tempo or added a bridge.

I've not played any of them, it'll be stuck in my head for weeks.
 And its goodby to: - bathtub tom
Found this on Wiki: There is also a slightly longer version (5.20 as opposed to 4.42) with an extended verse that was apparently banned from radio play as lyrics describing her body as "firm and inviting" could be considered too explicit for radio.

Could explain it.
Explicitness seems a pre-req nowadays...

Mind you, I'm not really talking from a very strong position as all I see is the videos they show in the gym on the music channel - but some of those really are steamy!!

>> Could explain it.

Entirely possible, but as always with wiki, it could also be a good story someone made up.

Don't really trust it myself, certainly not for anything "important", unless it's attributed and those attributions pan out.
Feed your brain Cc: www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2008/01/king-crimson-frame-by-frame.html
 And its goodby to: - VxFan
Someone else I've never heard of. But I have heard the song before.

Did missing the "e" off of "goodby" signify anything, or is it just a typo?
Thanks Dog. I always like those interconnections. The BBC did a great series about this kind of thing (linked below). Not currently available but bound to come around again at some point.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0070y2d/episodes/guide
Yeah I'm often surprised to hear bands which well known artists have played in, plenty of "Well I never knew that" moments... sometimes a bit awkward cos my mates regard me as something of a whizz when it comes to the music round in quizzes!!
 And its goodby to: - Ian (Cape Town)
smokie,
recently read this.

tinyurl.com/hcmt5oq

Took me ages... because for almost every other artist's obit, I'd go "oooh, I remember that one!" and search out the song.
Just been listening to this brilliant piece www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhKJgqxNDD8.

Had it on a bit too LOUD and nearly missed postie. He wanted to know my thoughts on a Dacia Stepway which he is considering buying when he retires this year.

I was at the dealers last week so had a look at one, not my sort of thing, but good VFM according to the man in the titfer: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/dacia/sandero-stepway-2013/

>>I was surprised a few years ago when I heard a slightly longer version with additional lyrics. Were there more than one version?

"When recorded, two years after it was written, it was probably improved by the decision of the record company to shorten it by around a minute because it was felt it was two verses too long for a single. (The longer version can be heard on Sarstedt’s first album"

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4104042/Where-DID-lovely-haunting-tale-song-writer-Sixties-unlikely-hit-lost-blonde-inspired-missed-millions.html
Not to divert the thread too much, but whilst we're doing "things what I like", here's one from me.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=akKVtGUsbbY

Another of the only too many "had an unhappy and too early end" people.
>>www.youtube.com/watch?v=akKVtGUsbbY

I would be hard pressed to put a face or even a song to his name, although I do remember the name and indeed the quite beautiful song, Gaye, which follows that YouTube.
Clifford's one of those "never quite made it" artists for me, of which there are many. Some great stuff in there if you dig about, as you say. Others might include Jim Croce's Time in a Bottle (or in fact most things Jim did).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO1rMeYnOmM

or Morrigan's Executioner's Song, which I can't find on Youtube, sorry. It's from the album "Spirit of the Soup". It's a long 8 minuter, and only Dog would like that, anyway, I would expect.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 10 Jan 17 at 10:19
>> Jim Croce's Time in a Bottle

Another nice one, neither I or the missus recall his name though, couldn't put a name or a song to his face either.
We both remember the song.

I listen via a Yamaha CRX 550 + a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze B2's and the sound quality / stereo imaging on that YT is very good, to my ears anyway, so I wont be going vinyl any time soon, unless leglad leaves me his Linn Sondek / Naim in his will.

>>Morrigan's Executioner's Song, which I can't find on Youtube, sorry. It's from the album "Spirit of the Soup". It's a long 8 minuter, and only Dog would like that, anyway, I would expect.

I'll have to check that out ASAP!

Here's another one-hit-wonder:

www.bing.com/videos/search?q=thunderclap+newman&view=detail&mid=806F759861EAEA376E84806F759861EAEA376E84&FORM=VIRE
"I listen via a Yamaha CRX 550"

I'm sure my mate had one of those back in the 70s, decent bike and fairly brisk :-)
Funnily enuff, I had a CX500 Custom a few years back, and a 550/4 back in the good ole 70's
LOL the comments from Neil Stevens then Peter Turley under that one (which are a bit rude) really remind me of the Message Boards bit of Private Eye.

"Great stuff guys!"

:-)
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 10 Jan 17 at 10:24
 And its goodby to: - Ted

I Googled Bob Lind's amazing ' Elusive Butterfly ' some time ago and found a much longer version. Again, it was considered too long for a single and chopped to the first verses. I think the full version is easily as good as American Pie.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbuC9hX2XAk
 And its goodby to: - Pat
So much for the dedicated RIP thread then:)

Pat
That was just a suggestion which hasn't made it to the statute books yet, and probably won't :-)
 And its goodby to: - Pat
Mmmmm, sounded like managers route to the statute book to me, one we're not supposed to notice!

........but follow like sheep;-)

Pat
Latest Forum Posts