Non-motoring > what am I missing? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 13

what am I missing? - devonite
On the News tonight was a sorry tale about a British back-packer being held hostage in the back of an SUV. It was stated that she was rescued after she went into a fuel station, told the Cashier she couldn't pay, and drove away. Police found Him (Abductor) hiding in the back of the car.

Why was he hiding whilst she was driving? and why did she not simply say to the cashier "Help I'm being held hostage, Please call the Police"?? - what am I not grasping?
 what am I missing? - Bromptonaut
Presumably this case:

www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/mar/07/woman-beaten-choked-and-raped-in-eight-week-ordeal-in-queensland-say-police

>>what am I not grasping?

The complexity of real world relationships?
 what am I missing? - zippy
Perhaps too frightened to run with threats of what he would do to her if she tried to run.

Perhaps a small town and she didn't think that police were near enough to make a safe escape.

Seemed she was beaten up (black eyes, bruises etc.).

Apparently he had were purse, passport etc.

Who knows really!?

what am I missing? - MD
Forgive me, but is it me or is your opening line misleading?
 what am I missing? - Old Navy
In that bit of (and most of) Australia there is nowhere to run to.
 what am I missing? - Duncan
>> - what am
>> I not grasping?
>>

I think you are possibly applying the logic of an adult male, who is free - in every sense - and hasn't been physically and mentally assaulted, and kept prisoner for several weeks until they were quite simply in a state of panic.
 what am I missing? - Ted

He had a false floor in the back of the SUV. I guess he kept her in there all the time but didn't want to be caught on camera at the garage and hid hmself.

Clever of her to alert the cashier by not paying and almost guarantee the local dibble would give chase. If no hue and cry had been raised, chummy would have been non the wiser. The status quo would have continued 'til the next fill-up.

That's how I read it, anyway.
 what am I missing? - zippy
Very fortunate to have been saved!

I was going to type "lucky", but the young lady was clearly not lucky to have met the bloke in the first place.

I dread to think what could have happened further down the line.
 what am I missing? - smokie
What we know is changing a little today - not the substance of the allegations but the circumstances which gave rise, and the duration etc.

"Police on Wednesday said the attacks took place over a one-month period, not two months as alleged earlier.

"They also said the pair met at a Cairns party on 27 January, clarifying wrong information that it was three months ago.

"Detective Inspector Paul Hart on Tuesday said the pair began a relationship but "at some point that had soured". "

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-39201219

I'd had visions of her being held for two months by a stranger but based on the latest info it could have been amicable for, say, three weeks then all gone wrong for a much shorter time. That might explain why the alarm wasn't raised earlier.

EDIT: and the alarm was raised only 620 miles from where the trip began so maybe no need tyo stop for fuel more than once in that time.
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 8 Mar 17 at 08:16
 what am I missing? - Bromptonaut
>> I'd had visions of her being held for two months by a stranger but based
>> on the latest info it could have been amicable for, say, three weeks then all
>> gone wrong for a much shorter time.

You almost make it sound as if you're saying not much happened!!

The report says assaults took place between 3 Feb and 5 March, over four weeks. To my mind reports of 'a relationship', other than as a euphemism for sex, are wide of the mark. Based on meeting in late January it went south in days.
 what am I missing? - smokie
"You almost make it sound as if you're saying not much happened!! "

Yeah I thought someone might say that. Not intended that way at all but feel free to pick holes as necessary. I wasn't even really trying to make a point, except that the reality could be a long way from how I initially imagined it (and what the press reports initially implied). I'm sure your interpretation will turn out to be nearer the truth.
 what am I missing? - devonite
Still think there's more to come out, and still find it strange that she gave the Cashier no indication that she was in trouble. With him hiding in the car, I would have thought that it would be the perfect time to try and effect an escape or at least try to summon help, it's the first thing I would have done if I were to be unlucky enough to be in similar circumstances! - strange.
 what am I missing? - sherlock47
Possibility of some Stockholm syndrome or similar impacting on her behaviour?
 what am I missing? - sooty123
Strange perhaps in the cold light of day, but the time and circumstances she found herself don't really lend itself to cool and calm logical thought processes. Although her plan (such that it was) seemed to have worked anyway.
Latest Forum Posts