Non-motoring > Golden Shred Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Hard Cheese Replies: 50

Golden Shred - Hard Cheese
I have been in bed with flu most of this week, got up a lunchtime today and fancied toast and marmalade, and noticed that the new jar of Robertson's Golden Shred had about fifteen pieces of shred in it at most, yes I know they do a 'shredless' version though this is definitely Golden Shred.

"Peel" is well up there on the ingredients list so I reckon it's a dodgy batch.

It's a issue not quite up there with Syria and N Korea I know though a UN resolution might help if it could be 'oranged' ...
 Golden Shred - No FM2R
You need an EU regulation on "amount of shred in marmalade".

Sadly.....
 Golden Shred - Zero
Once, when in Seville, I picked an orange from the copious orange trees that festoon the city. I hadn't realised the difference, or even knew one existed, between marmalade oranges and eating oranges....

I soon found out.
 Golden Shred - No FM2R
Is there? I didn't know that.

We have quite a few orange trees in the garden and whilst the girls squeeze them for juice, daughter #2 makes marmalade as well - and in both cases its pretty good.

Golden Shred - Pat
I used to love toast and marmalade when I was little until my brother came home on leave from the RAF and told me I was eating worms when I had a mouthful.

Older brothers can be horrible!...and I've never touched it again in the last 65 years!

Pat
 Golden Shred - Fenlander
>>>Older brothers can be horrible!.

I am an older brother to my sister 3yrs younger. She is still emotionally scarred by similar stuff but as we reflect on this in our 60s I remind her it was my duty as an older brother to behave like that, I would have been failing in my duty to do any different.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 18 Jan 18 at 15:02
 Golden Shred - Zero
>> Is there? I didn't know that.

Yer, they look just like ordinary Oranges but are very bitter, too bitter to eat off the tree.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_orange

mainly used for cooking, principle constituent of marmalade with sugar for that bitter/sweet combo.
 Golden Shred - No FM2R
I shall investigate. Maybe we have more than one type of orange tree and nobody told me. b***** huge trees they are, and we get more oranges than we can possibly use.

I think guests stop coming at certain times of the year because they don't want to be given any more jars of marmalade.

Lemons are a pain also. Salads, pancakes and G&Ts. Otherwise no good to man nor beast. And we get tons of those also.
 Golden Shred - tyrednemotional
....you need a kebab tree.......
 Golden Shred - No FM2R
I do. I really do.
>> ....you need a kebab tree.......
>>

Hmm, that's got me thinking, what would I want, a money tree aside. A chocolate tree is too obvious and wouldn't appeal really, perhaps a 24/7/365 grape vine or an amaretto biscuit tree, or a Jaffa cake tree, or a Tassimo coffee pod tree ...
 Golden Shred - No FM2R

>>perhaps a 24/7/365 grape vine

Loads of grapes in the garden. I eat quite a lot of them, never tried to make wine from them.

>> A chocolate tree is too obvious

Chileans love chocolate. There are loads of chocolate types available here.

>> a Jaffa cake tree

Oooh, now there's an idea. Not as good as a kebab tree, but pretty good.

Yup, I want two trees; a kebab tree and a jaffa cake tree.
 Golden Shred - Zero
>>
>> >>perhaps a 24/7/365 grape vine
>>
>> Loads of grapes in the garden. I eat quite a lot of them, never tried
>> to make wine from them.

I have a grape vine, its been pruned and trained for decoration tho, covering the side of the garage and adjacent pergola, so its crops bunches profusely, but the grapes are small. Too small for wine, tho they are quite sweet.
 Golden Shred - Zero

>> Lemons are a pain also. Salads, pancakes and G&Ts. Otherwise no good to man nor
>> beast. And we get tons of those also.

Drink more GnT
 Golden Shred - No FM2R
Dear God, Zero, I do my best!!!
 Golden Shred - CGNorwich
G and T needs lime not lemon.
>> G and T needs lime not lemon.
>>

Either though I agree, lime by choice.
 Golden Shred - Zero
>> G and T needs lime not lemon.

Traditionally its been lemon, it compliments the base botanicals better, lime is a modern and trendy aberration that has now, thankfully, been debunked.
>> >> G and T needs lime not lemon.
>>
>> Traditionally its been lemon, it compliments the base botanicals better, lime is a modern and trendy aberration that has now, thankfully, been debunked.
>>

Depends on the gin and the tonic, wife spent 38 smackers on a bottle of rhubarb gin the other day, that is def better with lemon, though I prefer Gordons etc and having rhubarb in my crumble.

The Fever Tree tonics are good, and lemon is nice with their Elderflower tonic though I'd favour lime with Indian tonic I think.
 Golden Shred - Zero

>> Depends on the gin and the tonic, wife spent 38 smackers on a bottle of
>> rhubarb gin the other day,

Thats not gin. Its alcohol with rhubarb.
>>
>> >> Depends on the gin and the tonic, wife spent 38 smackers on a bottle of rhubarb gin the other day,
>>
>> Thats not gin. Its alcohol with rhubarb.
>>

I kind of agree, though it says gin on the bottle, can't even have a lot of rhubarb in it.
 Golden Shred - Rudedog
Bit like the 'pear' cider that some started marketing... no Perry is Perry (very strong).
 Golden Shred - CGNorwich
Debunked by who?
 Golden Shred - Zero
>> Debunked by who?

Most of the head distillers.
 Golden Shred - CGNorwich
www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/05/22/dining/lemonlime.html
 Golden Shred - Zero
The NY Times is now distilling gin? Since when did ameri-cans have any taste.
>>
>> Drink more GnT
>>

Now with most things I prefer the constituents individually, as in rather than drink shandy I'd prefer arf a lemonade and arf a beer - and I will hardly ever ruin a fine spirit by mixing it, however gin is the exception, I do though also enjoy gin neat.
 Golden Shred - No FM2R
>> and I will hardly ever ruin a fine spirit by mixing it,

I agree with the principle, but a very cold and very large vodka and orange made with oranges about 4ft from where I'm drinking them is pretty good on a hot day.
 Golden Shred - Pat
So that makes me right the for serving mince and mash instead of messing about making Shepherds Pie.

DIY in this house.

Lucky to get any how meal here today the power has been off from 04.50 to 14.10 and a couple of blips since then, the garden looks like a war zone and there are at least a half a dozen tiles off the roof.

Thought of the day.....what is the point of having gas central heating when it needs electricity to ignite it and whizz it round the radiators?

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Thu 18 Jan 18 at 18:40
>> So that makes me right the for serving mince and mash instead of messing about
>> making Shepherds Pie.
>>

Trifle is another one, keep the sherry out of it, it's much nicer without and I'll have the sherry in a glass thanks.

On the other hand, and back on track, whisky marmalade can be very nice ...
 Golden Shred - Harleyman

>> Thought of the day.....what is the point of having gas central heating when it needs
>> electricity to ignite it and whizz it round the radiators?
>>
>> Pat
>>

One of my reasonings behind buying "chez HM" was my previous experience of living down here in West Wales in the early 1990's when lengthy power cuts were a regular nuisance especially on windy days.

I have two woodburning stoves, oil central heating (no mains gas available) and I cook with LPG.Rarely have power cuts of more than a few minutes' duration nowadays, but the combination proved its worth after our house fire in 2012, when we ended up with no running hot water or central heating for six months but were able to stay in the house. I don't miss the temporary portaloo-type shower though!
 Golden Shred - Dog
And another thing ... I have a private agua supply, no electricidad, no agua.
 Golden Shred - Harleyman
>> And another thing ... I have a private agua supply, no electricidad, no agua.
>>

You're in Cornwall aren't you? Have they got electric wells nowadays?
 Golden Shred - Dog
>>You're in Cornwall aren't you?

You're not wrong.

>>Have they got electric wells nowadays?

Borehole + pump = no water at all at all in power cuts.
 Golden Shred - Harleyman
no water at all at all in power cuts.
>>

Not surprised if you're pumping it from Ireland. ;-)
 Golden Shred - sooty123
I do though
>> also enjoy gin neat.
>>

I think that's pretty rare, I like a g and t but i couldn't manage it neat. Don't think I know anyone who does.
 Golden Shred - Cliff Pope
I hate gin, but I did once try making sloe gin and found it gorgeous. You just take half a bottle of gin, fill it up with sloes, and leave it for a year.
Since then there haven't been as many sloes around.
 Golden Shred - sooty123
>> I hate gin, but I did once try making sloe gin and found it gorgeous.
>> You just take half a bottle of gin, fill it up with sloes, and leave
>> it for a year.
>> Since then there haven't been as many sloes around.
>>

Not a big fan of sloe gin, quite like it with cava/prosecco.
 Golden Shred - Zero

>> Lemons are a pain also. Salads, pancakes and G&Ts. Otherwise no good to man nor
>> beast. And we get tons of those also.

TING!

I knew something was nagging at the back of my head about this statement.

Limoncello.

allrecipes.com/recipe/32451/limoncello/
 Golden Shred - CGNorwich
It’s the Seville orange season right now. You can only get them in January early February. Avaialbe in all supermarkets.. Have actually been making marmalade this week. Tastes a lot better term than most of the shop stuff.
 Golden Shred - PeterS
Bonne Maman’s coarse thick shred orange marmalade does taste remarkably similar to that which my Grandmother used to make :)

www.bonnemaman.co.uk/products/marmalades/coarse-orange-thick-shred-marmalade
 Golden Shred - CGNorwich
That is one of the few brands brands of marmalade I would buy. The other is “La Vieja Fabrica”

groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/La-Vieja-Fabrica-Seville-Orange-Marmalade/111394011

One is French and the other Spanish. Sign of the times I suppose.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 18 Jan 18 at 18:59
>> Bonne Maman’s coarse thick shred orange marmalade does taste remarkably similar to that which my Grandmother used to make :)
>>
>> www.bonnemaman.co.uk/products/marmalades/coarse-orange-thick-shred-marmalade
>>

Aha Bonne Maman's - my parents buy Bonne Maman's jams and then use the jars for their own home made marmalade.

Golden Shred - Roger.
That's reminded me - we need a trip to Lidl to stock up on their excellent fine cut marmalade.
It's 49p a 450g. pot and is as good as anything at twice or three times the price.
 Golden Shred - Roger.
>> That's reminded me - we need a trip to Lidl to stock up on their
>> excellent fine cut marmalade.
>> It's 49p a 450g. pot and is as good as anything at twice or three
>> times the price.
>>
As a temporary backstop, I bought some of Aldi's "zesty" thin cut marmalade, also 49p a pot.
It's nowhere near as good as Lidl's.
It's too sweet and very much like a firm set jelly and contains little peel.
FAIL, Aldi.
WIN, by a country mile, Lidl.
 Golden Shred - Manatee

>> WIN, by a country mile, Lidl.

I'll try it - I love marmalade but most of it is too sweet for me. Comes from being made of sugar I expect.
 Golden Shred - CGNorwich

>> I'll try it - I love marmalade but most of it is too sweet for
>> me. Comes from being made of sugar I expect.
>>

Two pounds of sugar for every pound of oranges. Actually it’s really easy to make and has a tang to it that very few commercial products have. I usually make around forty pounds of the stuff. just call me Paddington.
 Golden Shred - Roger.
>> WIN, by a country mile, Lidl.
Update: Lidl marmalade has 35% fruit, Aldi's has 20%, and Aldi's actually costs 45p per pot.
A trip to Lidl yesterday (13 mi.each way) and we're fully stocked with their jam (three each of Raspberry, Strawberry, Blackcurrant and Apricot, plus six jars of marmalade.
Oh and half a dozen bottles of daily shower spray, plus other "stuff" to a total cost of sixty quid.
Well, one has to justify a 26 mile round trip!
BTW - we've chucked out the Aldi marmalade, it's a rare thing for us to throw out food, but it was too nasty to eat,
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 24 Jan 18 at 01:48
 Golden Shred - Zero
>> It’s the Seville orange season right now. You can only get them in January early
>> February.

Yes, I was in seville for some winter sun in early march, the trees were still heavy with fruit.
 Golden Shred - Mapmaker
>> Yes, I was in seville for some winter sun in early march, the trees were
>> still heavy with fruit.

I have read that plucking the oranges is a criminal offence in Spain. It's the oranges that make Seville look like Seville. I have also read that they spray them with something to make them taste even more bitter to the birds. Equally, it may all be complete rubbish.

www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-organic-seville-oranges/033396-16651-16652

"Seville oranges are too sharp to eat raw, but sugar, lemon and heat transform them into one of the worlds finest preserves."
 Golden Shred - The Melting Snowman
We like this one:
www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-duchy-organic-thick-cut-seville-orange-marmalade/500993-70795-70796

or this one is surprisingly good:
groceries.asda.com/product/marmalade/asda-extra-special-thick-cut-dark-seville-orange-marmalade/1000004538090

Both have a good balance between bitter and sweet. Closest we have found to a good homemade version. Both UK assembled as well.
Latest Forum Posts