Non-motoring > History of 1948 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 9

History of 1948 - sherlock47
overexposed1948.com/

worth a watch.

History of 1948 - Ambo
News to me, but a small amount of extra information here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_incidents_involving_military_aircraft_(1945%E2%80%9349)#1948

A tragic loss of 13 lives but an illustration of American extravagance in war; the huge and costly plane was used for a hop of less than one hour, just to deliver payroll and mail.
 History of 1948 - Duncan
Certainly worth watching.

When would that have been filmed? The components were rusty as though they had been there some time, but nothing seems to have been removed by souvenir hunters?
 History of 1948 - Duncan
Buckden Pike - I believe. A Wellington operated by Polish Air Force crashed on the summit. The sole survivor followed a fox off the mountainside, down to a farm.

www.buckdenpike.co.uk/mainstory.html
 History of 1948 - Lygonos
6 months later he was shot down and survived an unpleasant time in Stalag 17.

Died last year age 95.

mobile.twitter.com/rafingham/status/884078301899354112
 History of 1948 - R.P.
Quite a life !
 History of 1948 - sherlock47
Duncan

Different crash!
www.buckdenpike.co.uk/mainstory.html
 History of 1948 - Duncan
>> Duncan
>>
>> Different crash!
>> www.buckdenpike.co.uk/mainstory.html
>>

You misunderstand me. I wasn't suggesting that it was the same crash. Sorry if you got that impression.

I have been to the site of the Polish Air force Wellington crash on Buckden Pike a number of times. A memorial to the lives lost in the crash has many small pieces of metal from the aircraft incorporated in it. The top of Buckden Pike is so flat that it is hard to see which is the highest point. The pilot can only have failed to clear the summit by a few feet.
 History of 1948 - Cliff Pope
It's been staged, surely?
The big rusty lump at a distance looks as if it might have been left there - it has an appearance of having weathered into the landscape.
But the smaller bits look unnatural, as if placed there carefully for the film shoot.

I'm sure someone can confirm whether are from the right plane?
 History of 1948 - Zero
Parts have been recently exposed.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 5 Nov 18 at 16:13
Latest Forum Posts