Non-motoring > Iceland's Christmas Advert Banned Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 15

Iceland's Christmas Advert Banned - zippy
www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/news/iceland-christmas-ad-what-is-palm-oil-and-why-was-the-supermarket’s-advert-banned/ar-BBPvW5h?ocid=spartanntp

It's a very good avert but apparently too political!

I would say it's just right, perhaps a bit scary for kids though.

I did say on another post, that it was possible to be punished for telling the truth, this is an example of that.
 Iceland's Christmas Advert Banned - Zero
That is an utterly shameful action by the TV companies.
 Iceland's Christmas Advert Banned - Haywain
I wish there was clearer labelling on food packaging re the source of any palm oil used. I always check carefully on margarine/spreader packs, but I don't know the extent that other products contain palm oil.
 Iceland's Christmas Advert Banned - R.P.
More people will see and absorb the message now that it's been banned.
 Iceland's Christmas Advert Banned - Manatee
Iceland's approach of eliminating it is probably the right one (for the orangutans) since palm oil is AFAIK a fungible commodity and the vast majority of it comes from Indonesia and Malaysia (like the orangutans).

If the source can be determined at all it makes little difference, all consumption underpins the price and the reason for burning forests.

A side effect of the trade in palm oil is that the stuff gets washed up on beaches up here and is fatal to dogs.
 Iceland's Christmas Advert Banned - Ambo
>>I don't know the extent that other products contain palm oil.

As far as confectionary products is concerned, it is pretty much a case of "you name it". I first saw it named on Panettone. Some fish fryers use it. It is supposed to be high in Cholesterol but, in a burgeoning world population any edible oil has a ready market.

Palm oil is popular because it is cheap. Planting density is high, about 55 trees per acre, and the trees are so productive that its production cost is the lowest of any edible oil. It is used in soap, hence Palmolive. It is popular in curries in Africa and has been used to fuel engines on estates there. (West Africa being the third major producer). It may have industrial appeal also; I was told it was used as a flux in tin plating.

Corruption is widespread in Malaysia and Indonesia (I don't know about W. Africa) and, in any case, the exporting opportunities are welcome there. Licences to fell and plant are freely given and in Indonesia establishment grants are given and much of the ground ends up devastated and no planting takes place over it. The density means that the ground ends up more closely covered than under jungle, but the problem is that the resulting habitat is useless for orang-utans and other larger beasts, although paradise for rats and the snakes and owls that prey on them.
Banning it from the TV means that the audience will be much wider via it going viral.
 Iceland's Christmas Advert Banned - Roger.
It's just the TV wallahs virtue signalling.
 Iceland's Christmas Advert Banned - No FM2R
>> It's just the TV wallahs virtue signalling.

For once Roger we are in absolute agreement.
 Iceland's Christmas Advert Banned - The Melting Snowman
Reminds me of those cases where someone takes someone else to court for some libellous comment but the court case attracts hugely more publicity...doh.
 Iceland's Christmas Advert Banned - Ambo
Some more information here:

www.rea.co.uk/

I can't open all of the links but I believe R.E.A. uses only land which has already been planted over once, so no orang-utans would have been disturbed by it.
 Iceland's Christmas Advert Banned - sherlock47
>> Banning it from the TV means that the audience will be much wider via it
>> going viral.
>>

Whilst it may get the palm-oil message across to a numerically wider and more diverse audience via the internet, the power of the TV advertising surely is in the repetition of the advertisers name, prompting brand awareness and recognition. If TV did ads did not have this effect why do some advertisers often place their ads in repeated ad breaks in the same program.

Whilst Iceland may be pleased to see the viral publication not sure that viewers will remember the brand rather than the message. Not sure how the commissioning costs compare with airtime costs. Maybe it is more cost effective?
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Sat 10 Nov 18 at 17:05
 Iceland's Christmas Advert Banned - movilogo
Exactly. I had no idea about it and now I have watched it.

It is a nice one though. Wrong to ban it.
 Iceland's Christmas Advert Banned - VxFan
>> Wrong to ban it.

Obviously it must upset some snowflakes.
 Iceland's Christmas Advert Banned - Lygonos
Nothing wrong with the message.

Iceland would have had bigger balls not stocking anybody's stuff containing palm oil, rather than just their own brand.
Latest Forum Posts