Non-motoring > Neighbour wants scaffolding on my property Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 9

Neighbour wants scaffolding on my property - bathtub tom
My neighbour needs a roof repair and the roofer wants to erect some scaffolding on my property.
I've no objection to this, as long as it's not for a long period of time.
I've googled this, but think I need some sort of written agreement to ensure it's not there unnecessarily, perhaps with a punitive clause if the work overruns.
Anyone been in this situation? I can't find any sort of pro-forma on line.
 Neighbour wants scaffolding on my property - Clk Sec

>> Anyone been in this situation?

Yes. A few years ago for major work next door. Scaffolding was partially on our ground for several months, which didn't bother us at all.

I wouldn't think a roofing repair would take very long.
 Neighbour wants scaffolding on my property - Zero

>> I wouldn't think a roofing repair would take very long.

They tend not to, for obvious wet reasons
 Neighbour wants scaffolding on my property - sherlock47
If the roofing contractor is sub contracting the scaffolding it is well worth having a time limiting agreement. Scaffolders are well known for using a customers site for storage of (erected) scaffold pending anoher similar job.
 Neighbour wants scaffolding on my property - Fullchat
Is scaffolding paid for on a time basis?

If so it would be in everyones interest for it to be on site for the least amount of time.

Neighbour wants scaffolding on my property - Manatee
>> Is scaffolding paid for on a time basis?
>>
>> If so it would be in everyones interest for it to be on site for
>> the least amount of time.

That's right, but scaffolders have a habit of leaving it where it is until they need it for another job. They won't take it all down, load and unload it at the yard if they have another job coming up that they can move it directly to when they are ready for it.
 Neighbour wants scaffolding on my property - Clk Sec

>> They tend not to, for obvious wet reasons

We had a whole roof replaced, including
perlins, which took little over a week to complete.

These roofers don't hang around...
 Neighbour wants scaffolding on my property - Ambo
I believe that, legally, neighbours cannot block access. We have had to ask for scaffolding access four times over the years and the problem has not arisen because ours have always been amenable.
 Neighbour wants scaffolding on my property - The Melting Snowman
Do everything to avoid disputes with neighbours. You have to declare any when you sell the property. The house opposite us have had some roofing done and a loft extension, the scaffolding was erected and dismantled within a month.

I am of the view you are worrying over something trivial.
 Neighbour wants scaffolding on my property - sherlock47
"I am of the view you are worrying over something trivial."

Not if they leave the scaffolding in place for 6 months after the work is completed. You would be wise not argue with a scaffolder!
Latest Forum Posts