Non-motoring > German French Relations Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 9

German French Relations - Fullchat
I couldn't help observe today the interactions between Macron and Merkel today during their commemorations of the end of WW1

The first clip:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46165903

Then they boarded the train(replica) where the Armistice was signed in 1918 and latterly where the French surrendered to the Germans. (Sorry cant find the complete video clip)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYkIWMetZn8

She does not appear to be a woman who shows her emotions in public. However on these occasions she does appear to let down her guard.

So:

1. She either fancies him :S

2. Or she was somewhat humbled and there is some actual genuine recognition for the behaviour of her predecessors.

3. Or she is desperate for France to become a strong political ally.

May be a combination of all 3 but I got the impression it was largely 2 or I was taken in by her acting skills.

Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 10 Nov 18 at 19:53
 German French Relations - Zero
I think she was contemplating the end of her political career
 German French Relations - Haywain
She is well aware that M. Macron has a preference for older women and she's playing up to it.
 German French Relations - Cliff Pope
>
>>
>> Then they boarded the train(replica) where the Armistice was signed in 1918 and latterly where
>> the French surrendered to the Germans.
>>
>>

The original railway carriage was destroyed in 1945, either through bombing or by the SS.
The replica is apparently a genuine wagon-lits of the same period donated by the company in the 50s.
 German French Relations - Rudedog
Maybe her reactions were do with the fact that Germans don't have an such thing as the poppy and don't commemorate the end of the First World War, there was very interesting piece on R4 where they spoke to German school teenagers about the upcoming centenary, they seem to be more into the end of WW2.

Plus big thing that both myself and wife laughed at when we heard the news in the car... Trump's not coming because..... it's raining!!!
 German French Relations - henry k
>>Plus big thing that both myself and wife laughed at when we heard the news in the car... >>Trump's not coming because..... it's raining!!!

It is said his helicopter cannot fly because of the weather. The alternative, a one hour car trip was not taken.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQm7M7QXUmM

Enjoy the comments -:(
 German French Relations - Mapmaker
Here's the German "Daily Mash's" take on the end of WW1. Second place, so a silver medal, finishing only behind the allies but don't worry, our uniforms captured the hearts; next time we will win.

Don't forget that the vast majority of modern Germans consider themselves to have been liberated at the end of WW2.

tinyurl.com/y9rdyphv

(link corrected as original one didn't work.)
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 12 Nov 18 at 12:34
 German French Relations - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Don't forget that the vast majority of modern Germans consider themselves to have been liberated
>> at the end of WW2.
>>

And the rest in 1990?
 German French Relations - sooty123
>> And the rest in 1990?

More like part 1 and part 2.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 12 Nov 18 at 12:34
 German French Relations - R.P.
I'm quite glad that there was a symbolic unity shown at the French ceremony soldiers from both country in a joint unit. Superb German choir as well.
Latest Forum Posts