Non-motoring > Would You Be Chipped? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 9

Would You Be Chipped? - zippy
www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/nov/11/alarm-over-talks-to-implant-uk-employees-with-microchips

The original story is in the Telegraph behind a pay-wall.

One of the reasons I left my last employer was the expectation to leave my Blackberry on 24/7 and answer emails promptly that were sent at 4AM.

The other reason was the phones were being tracked. I had a weird comment from a manager of another department when the team were in the pub. On being asked how my weekend was, I mentioned how good it had been, going round some mates for dinner and up to London to see a play. "Oh, that's strange." came the reply, "your phone wasn't in London last weekend!".

Also didn't like the fact that I had a phone for personal use and the companies one for business use. This was a national company with over 70,000 staff!

I think I would just walk if my current employers insisted on something like this.
 Would You Be Chipped? - sooty123
Not for me I don't really see that much point of them. Probably a fashion statement to show how cutting edge etc they are.

As to emails etc, thankfully that's not really involved in my job I only get maybe a handful a week, most get auto redirected into the delete folder. I probably get two or three a week that i bother reading.

I'm convinced some people think working is sending as many emails and ccing in as many people, especially their bosses, as possible.

As to answering work phones at 4am, luckily I'm far enough down the food chain to not get one even if I wanted one.
Unless I'm on call and they just ring my mobile but then there will be something actually to physically go and do.
 Would You Be Chipped? - Manatee
I assume these are RFID tags, so they wouldn't track you outside of work unless part of a much more extensive system.

The most obvious application is for access control. There were some thefts a few years ago in the offices I worked in. Analysis of the access records pointed to the night time security guards!

I would still resist. Don't they move around? I think they do in dogs.

It will come of course. If I had to guess I'd say China will probably be first.
 Would You Be Chipped? - Zero

>> I would still resist. Don't they move around? I think they do in dogs.

Yes the RFID tags in dogs do migrate a bit, and they are such "low power"* devices they are tough to locate at times. Essentially makes them useless for human ID & accreditation.

*I know they dont have their own power, its a generic issue description
 Would You Be Chipped? - CGNorwich
A bar code tattooed on your forehead would perhaps be simpler.
 Would You Be Chipped? - Boxsterboy
>> One of the reasons I left my last employer was the expectation to leave my
>> Blackberry on 24/7 and answer emails promptly that were sent at 4AM.
>>

That's ridiculous! Was it France or Germany that outlawed Company behaviour like this? - probably France
 Would You Be Chipped? - Old Navy
I hope there was a generous 24 hour availability bonus!
 Would You Be Chipped? - legacylad
Just over 5 weeks ago the adored ‘puddy cat’ of an ex disappeared. Notices were circulated around the village, posters put up, verges scoured for miles around. A social media frenzy storm.
This morning at 07:35 ( have CCTV outside the home) it appeared through the cat flap. Thin, scruffy, hungry and bedraggled. Wouldn’t it be great if micro chips could say where it’s been these past 5 weeks.
 Would You Be Chipped? - Duncan
Your cat flap or hers?
 Would You Be Chipped? - legacylad
Hers. I’m a canine person.
Latest Forum Posts