Non-motoring > One for Bobby (or others) Miscellaneous
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 4

One for Bobby (or others) - nice but dim
Not a random question but just curious following a discussion at work today.

Take a large supermarket chain ( Sainsbury's in this case), how many total IT employees would they have? Would it be a small or large area team, one per store or outsourced?

I read that that they have 180,000 employees and 1500 stores (not sure if that is just UK or worldwide) so even just 1% is a lot of staff.
 One for Bobby (or others) - Zero
Depends what you mean by "IT"

Developers? Strategists? Architects? Security? Project Managers? Service managers?

All the mundane stuff is outsourced, little done locally in stores, most of the IT brains is in High Holborn

Dont forget a lot of the 180,000 are part timers.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 14 Nov 18 at 21:49
 One for Bobby (or others) - nice but dim
It was more after the mundane break fix type staff, still a big outsourcing operation to support 1000+ stores I guess. Thanks Z

One for Bobby (or others) - Zero
>> It was more after the mundane break fix type staff, still a big outsourcing operation
>> to support 1000+ stores I guess. Thanks Z

All outsourced, man in van with box swap skills.
 One for Bobby (or others) - Bobby
Its over 10 years since I was in the supermarkets but in those days we had zero IT staff in the shops.

Had a helpdesk you could phone for system issues and most of the hardware issues were either postage swaps (handheld scanner type things) or outsourced where majority of issues were on the actual till lanes.

At that time PCs were very much locked down to intranet type set ups and all software were developed for that retailer. There was no "off the shelf" equipment or programs used.

Not sure what its like now though!
Latest Forum Posts