Non-motoring > Feeding swans with bread and fake news... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 9

Feeding swans with bread and fake news... - smokie
How many of you had seen the advice to not feed swans with bread as it isn't good for them? I had, somewhere. Not likely to be the Daily Mail but it's possible... :-)

Anyway the Queen's Swan Marker has now issued a statement saying it's all right after all. So please spread the word so that the swans don't die.

www.theswansanctuary.org.uk/cause/official-statement-bread-queens-swan-marker/

(Although tbh I suppose I no more know what his credentials are than the DMs, except I met and chatted with him during swan upping this year www.royalswan.co.uk/ . At the time he reminded me a bit of the comedian Micky Flanagan, in both appearance and style - www.itv.com/news/2018-07-16/annual-royal-swan-census-under-way-on-river-thames/ )
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 25 Nov 18 at 14:48
 Feeding swans with bread and fake news... - Clk Sec
Page not found.

Edit. 3rd limk, that is.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sun 25 Nov 18 at 12:46
 Feeding swans with bread and fake news... - Bromptonaut
>> Edit. 3rd limk, that is.

Closing bracket has been picked up as part of link. Correct version is here:

www.itv.com/news/2018-07-16/annual-royal-swan-census-under-way-on-river-thames/
 Feeding swans with bread and fake news... - Duncan
What is the swan bloke's day job?
 Feeding swans with bread and fake news... - Zero
>> What is the swan bloke's day job?
>>

When I was on the swanupping crew in the early 70s, yes really, the keeper was Turk, of Turks boat yard, I seem to recall he was also commodore of the middle Thames yacht club, and master barge keeper of the worshipful company of lightermen, tho I may be getting various members of the family mixed up.

This was in my holiday job as assistant lock keeper
 Feeding swans with bread and fake news... - Roger.
I went to school with a scion of the Turk family.
Never upped a Swan though!
 Feeding swans with bread and fake news... - Ambo
>>Turk, of Turks boat yard

I had a couple of brushes with him in the early seventies. Arrogant b...., as those Thames boat yard proprietors tended to be. I think it came about from their ownership of a valuable and scarce commodity, moorings. In the end, we deserted the river for the Oxford canal, which was much more user-friendly. Luckily, our cruiser had been designed to be narrow-gutted enough to fit the locks.
 Feeding swans with bread and fake news... - Clk Sec
>>Correct version is here:
>> www.itv.com/news/2018-07-16/annual-royal-swan-census-under-way-on-river-thames/

I should have spotted that. Thanks, Brompt.
 Feeding swans with bread and fake news... - smokie
Sorry, fixed the link. I'm always doing that... duh...

I was having quite a nice chat with Mr Swan at Mapledurham but I actually asked him what he did for the rest of the year, he scowled at me and walked off!!
 Feeding swans with bread and fake news... - Cliff Pope
>> he scowled at me
>> and walked off!!
>>

Deceptive things, swans. They appear friendly and placid, but can have a nasty temper.

Latest Forum Posts