Non-motoring > Tiles or vinyl ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 11

Tiles or vinyl ? - legacylad
I plan to downsize in 2019, and experience tells me that a nice bathroom is a major selling factor. Both my en suite and main bathroom, although functional, haven’t been touched since the property was built 20 years ago. And I didn’t like them then. Currently tiled floors, fully tiled walls, no shower over the bath and mismatched colours which the previously elderly owners had fitted. My udea is for two contemporary bathrooms. I know what I want after involving several companies to draw up plans for supply only, but simply cannot decide between (cold) tiled floors and vinyl.
Any thoughts please from folks who may have newer bathroom installations than myself?
 Tiles or vinyl ? - R.P.
Tiles any day of the week. Consider underfloor heating wiring - no need to connect to anything but future proofing it for any prospective purchaser would be a real plus point and the cost at that point is negligible. We've re-done a bathroom here since we moved in but didn't opt for the wiring - which I regret really.
 Tiles or vinyl ? - Cliff Pope
Are you talking about planning your future bathroom in your new house, or doing up your present one "as a major selling factor"?

If the latter - don't. A new owner will be bound to have different tastes and ideas from you, so a new bathroom in a style they don't like will be a a selling disadvantage.
By the time new owners complete, move in and start thinking about decoration, styles and fashions will have moved on, and your new one will already be out of date.

Just smarten up what you have, make sure everything works, clean the grouting and fix the tap washers. They'll want to rip it out whatever you do.
 Tiles or vinyl ? - CGNorwich
Unless your bathroom is really really bad I agree with CP . iIf the market is difficult all things being equal though a buyer with a potential choice will choose the house with the better bathroom PRICE BEING EQUAL.

It’s probably better just to reduce the price by the cost of the bathroom.

If you do go head with a high end bathroom ceramic tiles are the classier choice. They need to be good quality non slip and professionally fitted. Poorly fitted tiles will have the opposite effect to that which you desire.
 Tiles or vinyl ? - neiltoo
There are systems for putting electric heating elements under tiled floors, if you decide on tiles. Vinyl may be better if you're doing a wet room.
Think about whether you will gain or lose on the cost though. Some people think that most new owners immediately replace bathrooms and kitchens, though there is a view that new installations make houses quicker to sell.
At the end of the day, selling and buying houses is a lottery.

And I've only done it once in 70 years!

My advice is free, and worth every penny

8o)
Last edited by: neiltoo on Thu 27 Dec 18 at 09:46
 Tiles or vinyl ? - Zero
Do I get this right? you are dong up to sell?

In these circumstances the heat of the floor does not count, its what looks better.

And if you are thinking about moving, consider this, property is not moving, people (if they are doing anything) are updating.
Both bathrooms are really really really old fashioned. When the property was built late 1999, the first owners, an elderly couple, only lived there for 6 months. The floor tiles in both clash horribly with the wall tiles. Imagine ( main bathroom) chequer board black and white tiles, cream sanitary ware, a dark wood bath panel, no shower over the bath, awful funny contoured wall tiles in various shades.
The en-suite with a tiny glass panelled shower, when there is room for a super large walk in shower, has similar awful mismatching tiles. But everything works and until now I’ve preferred to spend my money travelling the world!!
The easy option is do nothing and reflect it in the price. OTOH every house I’ve sold ( which is 4) has had new modern bathrooms fitted immediately pre sale, and the feedback has always been that the new bathrooms were a huge factor in achieving a quick sale. My late Aunts Flat is a case in point. The flat was literally gutted, redecorated top to bottom in neutral colours, and sold with no kitchen, bare concrete floors and a fabulous looking contemporary bathroom which every ( elderly) viewer thought amazing and was instrumental in achieving a quick sale.
The consensus of opinion so far is to continue with tiled floors, although many years ago I had Amtico fitted in two bathrooms which looked amazing. And is probably more expensive than tiles. I’ll check out the price of underflooor electric heating. In a slow market it’s an extra selling point, but depends solely on whether it’s a worthwhile investment to help achieve a sale.
I’m moving because the place is too large for me...4 bed detached and I spend the best part of 5 months pa overseas at the moment. That figure will only increase in the foreseeable future.
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 27 Dec 18 at 11:10
 Tiles or vinyl ? - Zero

>> ago I had Amtico fitted in two bathrooms which looked amazing. And is probably more
>> expensive than tiles. I’ll check out the price of underflooor electric heating. In a slow
>> market it’s an extra selling point, but depends solely on whether it’s a worthwhile investment
>> to help achieve a sale.

Its not, no-one EVER bought a house because it had an Amtico floor.
 Tiles or vinyl ? - MD
Carpet every time.

If you must have vinyl then Vusta is way better than Amtico.

As someone else said just tart up wot you’ve got and if they moan too much give ‘em a discount. It’ll work out cheaper.
Can’t polish a turd MD. But thanks for your input. Appreciated
Update. Decided on floor tiles, not vinyl. Fully tiled walls, despite considering half tiled walls apart from shower area, and also one wall simply painted. No underfloor heating, but decent BTU powder coated anthracite colour towel rails with electric element for use in summer when CH off.
I’ll be taking off the tiles in both bathrooms, a pal will re skim and I’ll work with my plumber friend where possible.
One thing I found out was that despite using the exact same tiles on both wall and floor ( the floor tiles are square, the wall tiles landscape) the use of LED downlights make them look several shades different. Quite the illusion.
All systems go in June!
 Tiles or vinyl ? - Zero
if you are not careful with batch numbers you can end up with that effect even if they are all the same size!
Latest Forum Posts