Non-motoring > Farnborough Airshow public weekend axed Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 9

Farnborough Airshow public weekend axed - smokie
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-47463443

Shame, I did it many years ago and was considering it for this year.

I don't get what "vitriolic" stuff people might have been saying but then I didn't realise quite nasty turf wars were breaking out between rival Meghan and Kate factions!
 Farnborough Airshow public weekend axed - VxFan
I've a feeling this will have a knock on effect to other air shows too.

Bournemouth, etc.
 Farnborough Airshow public weekend axed - sooty123
Been on the cards for a while for various reasons. I think even without Shoreham the days of an airshow were numbered. It's primarily a sales event after all.
 Farnborough Airshow public weekend axed - Zero

>> I don't get what "vitriolic" stuff people might have been saying

It was widely criticised for poor content, high cost, poor catering, traffic jams, parking issues.

All of those are normal for Farnborough, except the content made up for it, Shoreham screwed the content, so it flipped into massive criticism.

Its a pity, even my friend who has a house on the end of the runway has now cancelled the open house airshow BBQ
 Farnborough Airshow public weekend axed - DP
>> Its a pity, even my friend who has a house on the end of the
>> runway has now cancelled the open house airshow BBQ

I do miss this. We had friends in Southwood who would invite a bunch of people over for a BBQ on the front lawn and to sit and watch the show from deckchairs on the driveway with plenty of food and beers (For non drivers) Many of the neighbours did similar, and it was a real street party atmosphere. Selfishly, they moved to Fleet about 6 years ago.

For some time now, the public displays have felt like an afterthought. Farnborough has been very much a tradeshow in recent years.
Last edited by: DP on Wed 6 Mar 19 at 09:41
 Farnborough Airshow public weekend axed - BiggerBadderDave
Why seeing some wonderful flying contraptions when you and your family can stare at their phones in comfort?
Last edited by: BiggerBadderDave on Wed 6 Mar 19 at 10:07
>> >> Its a pity, even my friend who has a house on the end of
>> the
>> >> runway has now cancelled the open house airshow BBQ
>>
>> I do miss this. We had friends in Southwood who would invite a bunch of
>> people over for a BBQ on the front lawn and to sit and watch the
>> show from deckchairs on the driveway with plenty of food and beers (For non drivers)
>> Many of the neighbours did similar, and it was a real street party atmosphere. Selfishly,
>> they moved to Fleet about 6 years ago.

My Abiding memory was listening to the beer bottles on the table jingling together like wind chimes when the Vulcan flew over.

Awesome.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 6 Mar 19 at 10:18
 Farnborough Airshow public weekend axed - helicopter
Always went there on business.Used to meet up with suppliers and clients and it was a good place to do deals . The displays were secondary.

One abiding memory I do have was in 2004 when a B52 which was supposed to display at Farnborough gave its display over Blackbushe five miles away and just about visible in the distance, much to the surprise of the organisers.

Yeah, they have never quite lived that one down.
 Farnborough Airshow public weekend axed - DP
I live less than a mile from Blackbushe as the crow (or B52) flies. Thoroughly enjoyed that display, although I remember thinking the aircraft was in trouble at first.

The phrase "All the gear, and no idea" came to mind....
Latest Forum Posts