Non-motoring > Domestic LEDs and dimmer switches Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 13

Domestic LEDs and dimmer switches - henry k
I have started replacing old lamp bulbs with LEDs, not to save electricity costs but to do it while I am still able to access the fittings. Hopefully it will be a one off activity while I can still climb steps so I have started with the least accessible ones that frequently get used or accidentally left on.

Finding the LEDs required was the first problem. I soon identified warm white vs stark white but was amazed to see confusion on how many watts = how many lumens in adverts etc.
To date I have found some suitable B22 /BC bulbs.
...15W = 1521 lumens = 100W Tesco
10.8W = 1060 lumens = 75W Sainsburys
.....6W = 810 lumens = 60W Tesco Filament type ( Bulb on full view )
.....6W = 600 lumens = 60W Amazon Filament type candle shape dimmable
...12W = 1150 lumens = 100W R80/ES Paul Russells

I could only find three sources of the 60W candle filament bulbs.

I want to replace a wall dimmer switch but what to get ?
From what I read some dimmers cause flicker below 50% dimming.
I have also seen a one star rating for bulbs because they flicker rather than a poor dimmer.
Can anyone recommend a brand that will work correctly with LEDs?

Domestic LEDs and dimmer switches - Zero
The lumens rating varies so much because the construction of the LED lamps varies so much, number and type of led strings, layout and configuration, etc etc.

I have dumped dimmers, prefer instead going for uplighters, wall downlighters, table lamps etc, they can all be switch in and out as required.
 Domestic LEDs and dimmer switches - Kevin
>I have dumped dimmers, prefer instead going for uplighters, wall downlighters, table lamps etc,

Ditto.
 Domestic LEDs and dimmer switches - CGNorwich
>> >I have dumped dimmers, prefer instead going for uplighters, wall downlighters, table lamps

The are of course not mutually exclusive.
>The are of course not mutually exclusive.

Absolutely not.

The room I am currently in has ten LED downlighters down one wall, a halogen uplighter in one corner and a CFL table lamp beside me keeping my Barolo warm. If we really need more light we have three ceiling units with 6, 4 and 4 TP24 LED tube lamps. Works well.
 Domestic LEDs and dimmer switches - sooty123
The room I am currently in has ten LED downlighters down one wall, a halogen
>> uplighter in one corner and a CFL table lamp beside me keeping my Barolo warm.
>> If we really need more light we have three ceiling units with 6, 4 and
>> 4 TP24 LED tube lamps. Works well.
>>

How large is the room?
 Domestic LEDs and dimmer switches - Fullchat
He's in the garage :)
 Domestic LEDs and dimmer switches - Zero
>> He's in the garage :)

He lives in Basingstoke, he forgot the perimeter watchtowers with 40kw searchlights.
>How large is the room?

It's a through lounge diner about 35x15' at a guess. In the evening we just have the downlighters and tablelamp on. If we need more light during the day for any reason we use the ceiling lights. The house is East-West oriented so there are times in winter when we don't get enough natural light through the windows at one end and french doors at the other.

>He lives in Basingstoke, he forgot the perimeter watchtowers with 40kw searchlights.

They're to keep the starving hordes from Surrey out after Brexit.
Last edited by: Kevin on Mon 18 Mar 19 at 20:24
 Domestic LEDs and dimmer switches - CGNorwich
I fitted one of thes last year Henry.

www.amazon.co.uk/Varilight-1-Gang-Rotary-Dimmer-Switch/dp/B01L4P0WD4?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_5

Works very well with no buzzing or flicker. As mentioned in some of the review it is a little deeper than conventional switches so only just fits in the wall box. It is also not quiteas wide as the switch it replaced so needed a little filling on the plaster.as it left a small gap

I paid over £30 for same so that is a very good price.
 Domestic LEDs and dimmer switches - smokie
I got some bulbs for ceiling fittings which were previously on a dimmer. These bulbs have a dimmer function built in, though not the full range - you click the switch in rapid succession up to three times to change the brightness. Not quite as good as proper dimming bulbs but a lot cheaper than the LED dimmer switch was IIRC.

I think they may have come from CPC. cpc.farnell.com/
 Domestic LEDs and dimmer switches - Fenlander
Similar to others...

In the 80s we had a dimmer switch in at least 50% of rooms... as with TVs.

Now no dimmer switches using varying light sources instead like Zero... and just one TV.
 Domestic LEDs and dimmer switches - RichardW
I've got a couple of those, but they don't work very well - they certainly don't like operating on less than 10W load, and even the ones operating the 50W of GU10s sometimes don't come on first time, and ramp up and down a few times before deciding to light properly!
 Domestic LEDs and dimmer switches - henry k
Thanks CGN.
I now understand the need for a dimmer switch with a bottom of its range much lower than the old style ones. I note they are now advertising some " for LEDs"

We have a chandelier in the dining room that had 5 x 40w candle bulbs and a dead dimmer.
One holder has failed so another investigation job.
I chose to fit Hizashi filament clear candle dimmable bulbs and I am very pleased with them.
I will replace the dimmer.
This gives me more options than before, brighter light if required without risk of overheating the solid glass shades or the lamp holders - similar to these globe versions.
jmoncrieff.co.uk/John-Moncrieff-replacement-glass-light-shades/John-Moncrieff-vaseline-ribbed-globe
I have fitted Filament Led to our lantern pendants because they look so much better than standard LEDS.
A similar style of fitting-
www.grahamandgreen.co.uk/inko-glass-lantern-pendant-light.
I note that may sites are showing such light fittings with fillament LEDs so I am not alone in preferring them.

I am not interested in any mode lighting etc or rewiring etc. Those days are over.

I am a bit surprised that one of my 14W bulbs flickers on start up so I will get a replacement.

Latest Forum Posts