Non-motoring > lighting prob Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 5

lighting prob - devonite
We have in our living room a set of 6 wall lights (double 60w candle bulbs) controlled by a dimmer switch. Yesterday Wifey was changing a blown bulb in one of the sets when there was a bang and a flash from the bulb she was attempting to remove, which blew the glass bulb out of the bayonet holder, and all the other 5 sets of lights went out and refuse to come on again. This morning I checked all the other bulbs and they are ok, the fuse in the box hasn't blown either! - any idea's what else it may be? the switch perhaps?

Ta!
 lighting prob - Lygonos
Most dimmer switches can handle up to 200-250W tops.

I expect the switch fried.

lighting prob - No FM2R
Could be, but I suspect a wire. Either into the light fitting or indeed into the switch.
 lighting prob - Lygonos
We have a chandelier in the dining room that has 8 candle bulbs - used to have 8x40W incandescents (LED now) and the dimmer function died after a year or so - still worked as on/off but no dimming.

Max 200W rated when I took it apart.

Replaced with a normal switch. The wall lights in the room are dimmable LEDs (5 of them) and can be dimmed if (questionable) mood lighting is desired.

Back in the day I suspect very little heating was required if all of the room lights were on in the house - something like 3kW of tungsten luminescence!
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 22 Mar 19 at 14:22
 lighting prob - Kevin
Like Lygonos, my first suspect would be the dimmer. The triacs used in dimmer switches will usually die if they are subject to a short for more than a few millisecs. Luckily, easy to check.
 lighting prob - henry k
>>...was changing a blown bulb in one of the sets when there was a bang and a flash from the bulb she was attempting to remove, which blew the glass bulb out of the bayonet holder,
>>
Recently I have had several clear candle bulbs go flash bang and the the glass bulb detached itself. The RCD tripped. I blamed myself for buying cheap bulbs after they were banned.
Latest Forum Posts