Non-motoring > Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 25

Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - zippy
Our neighbours have an ultrasonic pest deterrent device fitted to the front of their house and it has been there since we moved in, which is about 6 months ago. All homes are detached and the device is about 5 meters from our boundary.

Mrs Z and I don’t notice it, but the younger ones do when they visit and workmen that have come around have complained and we have had a couple refuse to stay because the noise is unbearable (even within our property) which is very inconvenient and has included furniture fitters, the gas fitter and electrician.

When we have visitors that can hear the device, I have politely asked the owner if he could shut it off whist they are here but he refuses. We live near some woods and the pests are squirrels, foxes, bats and a few tabbies.

The neighbour is retired and to give some background, he was (unsuccessfully) prosecuted for physically removing, at some expense, a permanent highways agency installed road feature that he believed was a danger to him – so he is a stubborn so and so.

What’s your advice on the best course of action? Hearing defenders are not an option – they are not suitable for summer barbeques for example.
 Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - VxFan
Not sure if this would come into the category of noise pollution, but I can't see if can do any harm by asking them for advice.

www.gov.uk/report-noise-pollution-to-council
 Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - MD
We have one indoors. There have never been any issues - but also I’m not sure if they actually work.
 Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - sooty123
> The neighbour is retired and to give some background, he was (unsuccessfully) prosecuted for physically
>> removing, at some expense, a permanent highways agency installed road feature that he believed was
>> a danger to him – so he is a stubborn so and so.

What road feature did he remove?

>> What’s your advice on the best course of action? Hearing defenders are not an option
>> – they are not suitable for summer barbeques for example.

I take it he has no visitors round that it bothers?

I'd agree with the above and go with a noise complaint. Although from the sound of it you might well be in for the long haul.
 Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - Zero
How loud is your stereo system? Ace of Spades at 100 watts directed at his house should do it.

Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - R.P.
I'd wait for him to go out - disable it. If he's an older codger he won't be able to tell whether it's functioning or not !

Seriously it falls into the category of a statutory nuisance. LA have a responsibility - EPA Act 1990
 Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - Falkirk Bairn
I have 2 x cat deterrents in my garden.

Cats s***1ng in my garden was the problem - the cat owner said he was not responsible as cats are not controllable.

I replied that I will control their access to my garden.

2 years later no mess in the garden from cats or foxes.
The cats do cross the garden BUT in a hurry - presumably s***1ing in some other gardens nearby.
 Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - Duncan
>> I have 2 x cat deterrents in my garden.
>>

How do they manifest themselves?
 Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - Crankcase
>> I have 2 x cat deterrents in my garden.
>>

Always looking for something that works - can you give any details, FB?
 Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - Falkirk Bairn
Crankcase

No brand on the boxes - Chinese origin - it was a impulse buy on Amazon as there were numerous cats using the front & side gardens as their favoured toilets.

2 for some £18 IIRC then the batteries on top - takes 4 x AA in each which last some 6 months
 Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - John Boy
I've had similar success to RB using the earlier version of this device:
www.primrose.co.uk/catwatch-cat-repellent-rspb-approved-p-1358.html
I was put off by the price, but found refurbished ones on eBay for about £30 with a power supply.

I can't hear it operating, but some people can, although they have to be fairly close to it. I recall reading a disclaimer to the effect that really old cats, plus certain unusual breeds, do not react to the sound.
 Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - John Boy
Slip of the finger - I meant FB, not RB.
 Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - No FM2R
>>I'd wait for him to go out - disable it. If he's an older codger he won't be able to tell whether it's functioning or not !

That's what I'd do. Bit of research and homework first so that you can disable it without hitting it with a hammer. Perhaps go after the power supply.

>> >>I'd wait for him to go out - disable it. If he's an older codger
>> he won't be able to tell whether it's functioning or not !
>>
>> That's what I'd do. Bit of research and homework first so that you can disable
>> it without hitting it with a hammer. Perhaps go after the power supply.
>>
>>

If it were that easy!

It has a flashing - "I am working" beacon on top of it.
> If it were that easy!
>>
>> It has a flashing - "I am working" beacon on top of it.
>>

Go have a nosey at what make and model. Buy one, disable the sounder but leave power to the light. Swap them over, job done.
>> Go have a nosey at what make and model. Buy one, disable the sounder but
>> leave power to the light. Swap them over, job done.

Outstandingly good idea.
 Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - VxFan
>> If it were that easy!
>>
>> It has a flashing - "I am working" beacon on top of it.

Some expanded foam squirted into the orifice the noise emits from?
 Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - Ambo
>> If he's an older codger he won't be able to tell whether it's functioning or not !

True. I am an older codger and never realised an alarm I fitted in a study was detectable by humans until a young BT man came to fit a new hub. He refused to work until I disabled it.
>What road feature did he remove?

If you Google "man removes xxxx from road" you get a direct hit on him so I am reluctant to say further.

It was part of the structure of the road though and he was arrested and charged. Got an unconditional discharge in court though (amazingly).
Firstly, I searched with "xxxx" without thinking and got some quite alarming results.

Then I checked without the "xxxx" and got; "Man removes hoax bomb from Bangor road". I'm guessing that wasn't it.

Bit more of a clue?
 Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - Fullchat
"Firstly, I searched with "xxxx" without thinking and got some quite alarming results."

Me too! Including a video for an Asian guy who could lift 3 boxes of beer with his penis :O

Thanks, found it.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 26 Mar 19 at 10:14
Well I can't which is irritating. I'd appreciate a small clue.
I won't put the link up as zippy doesn't want to.

4 letter word is something in the road to slow up down when driving.
 Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - Fullchat
I'm afraid my experience of the LA Environmental Health Dept in relation to noise nuisance was not good.

Ive mentioned it before but a neighbour to the rear of the property has a homing pigeon loft, some 20 yards from the rear of our property. The pigeons do not appear to be the property owners as a third person attends every Monday morning to tend to them. They are never let out to fly so goodness knows what the attraction is.

As the weather warms the regular low level cooing becomes worse. Our bedroom is at the rear and overlooks the loft. We like to have the window open for fresh air. Sitting in the garden is accompanied by the constant cooing.

Ive had the LA involved on 2 occasions. The first time the investigation came to an end due to the time it took them and the onset of winter. We resurrected the complaint last year and started again. Firstly keeping a log and then the instillation of a recording device. Letters and a visit was made to the landowner.

It soon became apparent that the the apparent enthusiasm of the Council Officer was a mask for indifference and that there would not be an outcome in our favour.

Having been in investigation for most of my working life you know when someone is making the right noises to appease the complainant but it is just a facade. The process of actually getting someone to Court can be lengthy, costly and resource intensive. I presume not something the LA are keen to undertake.

Anyway the recording equipment was operated on each occasion the sound caused a nuisance. The problem was that recording equipment, as good as it is, is not suitable for recording constant low level noise nuisance. An inquiry with the manufacturers corroborates this.

A final letter from the LA declared - "On the recordings, there is other noise that is more obvious, for example wild birds making noises, a child crying outside and a dog barking nearby, in addition to the normal, everyday noises from within your home."

I knew this would be the outcome. Within their letter they did inform me that I could utilise Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 which would involve me initiating my own complaint at the Magistrates Court.

So the point of the above from my experience is that the LA's interpretation of Statutory Nuisance is the persistant and regular high level noise. Of course your LA might be different to my experience.
 Annoying Ultrasonic Pest Deterrent Device - R.P.
There is little or no consistency between LAs - it depends on funding and other priorities. Blame austerity.
Latest Forum Posts