Non-motoring > Whatever happened to CFLs? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 8

Whatever happened to CFLs? - bathtub tom
Replaced a dead CFL with my last spare, went to Wilkos to buy another, found everything seems to be LED now - and they're not cheap. Does everyone fit LEDs?

As an aside, I've a PIR switched, filament lamp by my front door. I understand the PIR's not compatible with CFL, but will it work with LED? I reckon it's been there for over fifteen years and I don't recall ever replacing the bulb.
 Whatever happened to CFLs? - Bromptonaut
Replaced CFL in hall last week I'd written installation date on neck,05/08. Had spare CFL in cupboard but it's replacement is LED, £8 from Waitrose. Could have got it cheaper but without another spare in house and with time pressing it was a distress purchase.
 Whatever happened to CFLs? - VxFan
>> found everything seems to be LED now - and they're not cheap

Wilko's LED bulbs are horrendously expensive.

I've previously bought LED bulbs from B&M, Energizer brand. 100w equivalent are 2 for £8.99, 60w equivalent are 2 for £4.99. Just down the road from them is a Home Bargains. 60w equivalent are £1.50 each in there. I think the brand is E-Luminate, not had any failures yet - touch wood. Dimmable LED are slightly dearer.

Screwfix do quite a range of LED bulbs at a reasonable price.

With regard your PIR, given the age, it's probably only compatible with filament bulbs.
 Whatever happened to CFLs? - Zero
>> Replaced a dead CFL with my last spare, went to Wilkos to buy another, found
>> everything seems to be LED now - and they're not cheap. Does everyone fit LEDs?

CFL's in domestic use were always to be a stop gap, yes everyone fits LED's, single most effective cut you can make in your leccy bill.

>> As an aside, I've a PIR switched, filament lamp by my front door. I understand
>> the PIR's not compatible with CFL, but will it work with LED? I reckon it's
>> been there for over fifteen years and I don't recall ever replacing the bulb.

Leave it as is, when the bulb goes throw the whole fitting away, and replace it with a built in photodiode/LED COB based one.
 Whatever happened to CFLs? - henry k
>> >> everything seems to be LED now - and they're not cheap. Does everyone fit LEDs?
>>
>> CFL's in domestic use were always to be a stop gap, yes everyone fits LED's,
>> single most effective cut you can make in your leccy bill.
>>
Totally agree. Also should reduce climbing on steps etc.
Just check the light output as they vary a lot rather than trust x watt LED = Y watt old bulbs.
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=26806
 Whatever happened to CFLs? - tyrednemotional
>> As an aside, I've a PIR switched, filament lamp by my front door. I understand
>> the PIR's not compatible with CFL, but will it work with LED? I reckon it's
>> been there for over fifteen years and I don't recall ever replacing the bulb.
>>

...surely, the PIR is simply a switch?

Whilst CFLs won't work with dimmers, and (dimmable) LEDs will generally need a special dimmer, I'm confused as to why a PIR shouln't work with either of these (much like a standard light switch will work with all bulb types).
 Whatever happened to CFLs? - VxFan
>> ...surely, the PIR is simply a switch?

You'd have thought so, but a neighbour replaced the 100W halogen bulb in his security light for an equivalent LED bulb and it just kept flashing on and off.
 Whatever happened to CFLs? - Zero
Some PIRs need a certain load current drain, the LED lamp has insufficient.
 Whatever happened to CFLs? - maltrap
I buy my LED bulbs fom Toolstation at a competetive price.
Latest Forum Posts